walkhighlands

This board helps you to share your walking route experiences in England and Wales... or overseas.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

La Maroma (2069m, Spain) twice.

La Maroma (2069m, Spain) twice.

Postby jacob » Sun Dec 27, 2015 9:15 pm

Date walked: 22/12/2015

Time taken: 7

Distance: 9 km

Ascent: 1400m

3 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

In between all those beautiful pictures of snowy Scotland, Wales and even Canada, here's some sunny greetings from Spain. We've been there on holiday for a week, in which we admired the landscape during small walks, and the culture in Alhambra, an old Moor (Arab) settlement.
But we also climbed a mountain, twice even, called la Maroma, or Tejeda, which is located in the Sierras de Tejeda, Almijara y Alhama, a national park in the south of Spain, close to Malaga and close to it's more famous big brother, the Sierra Nevada.
La Maroma is a 2069 metres high mountain (6788 ft), which makes it the highest mountain in this national park and in the complete province of Malaga. The name la Maroma means the rope, and refers to the belaying by rope that was used to gather snow and ice from a very deep cave, near the mountain's summit.
There's three different hiking routes leading to the summit, two of which we've walked. One started in a village called Canillas de Aceituno (600m, which makes the ascent 1400 something), which approaches the mountain from it's south and east flanks, the other from a park/campsite on the northside (1100m, which makes the ascent 900 something) called Robledal (won't be found on your tomtom).
The one from Canillas is the hardest. It starts at the local government building (ajuntamiento) and starts climbing the mountain from the left side of this building, following stairs going up through the upper parts of the village. Last chance for drinkable water is found left of the ajuntamiento. The mountain itself offers none.
The other one is hard to pinpoint on a map, and your tomtom won't locate it, but it turned out pretty easy to find. It's a sand and stone road at km35 of the A402 between Ventas de Zaffaraya and Alhama de Granada, leading you some 5 km into a forest to a carpark. This is the start of the route.
The summit itself isn't that spectacular, it's like a big slabs and boulders covered footballfield. Normally in winter there's supposed to be snow, this winter has been exceptionally warm, also in Spain. It is advised though, to do this hike in winter. In summer temperatures can rise to 40 celcius or more.
Here's some pics, starting with day 1, the southern and eastern approach.

SAM_1819.JPG
This is what you see going up, just after you've left the village. It is not la Maroma though, don't be fooled, it's still a long way to go.

SAM_1847.JPG
Somewhere there's a cave. This is me "exploring" inside and the mrs. patiently waiting outside.

SAM_1863.JPG
The wildlife is shy but nosy. Chamois are everywhere, as are eagles.

SAM_1866.JPG
More chamois, with for the first time la Maroma in view.

SAM_1880.JPG
Proof that it's hot in summer. Burned bush an trees everywhere on the slopes.

SAM_1903.JPG
View of what I think are the first mountains of the Sierra Nevada. As you can see we've climbed above the clouds.

SAM_1914.JPG
This is not the summit, just me on a cliff near it. I just couldn't resist the view that this in cloud swimming rock had had to give.

SAM_1946.JPG
More (zoomed) views on the Sierra Nevada.

SAM_1962.JPG
The mrs. packing the bag again, after an hour of gazing at this beautiful cloudscape, higher than both of us have ever been.

SAM_1971.JPG
On the way back, looking at the jungle of trees and clouds that we would soon disappear in.

SAM_1982.JPG
More trees and more clouds, getting more close.

SAM_1983.JPG
Almost back into the clouds, at about 1000-1100 metres alt.

SAM_1995.JPG
Chamois spotting us.

SAM_1996.JPG
And making sure they're safe.

SAM_2000.JPG
Once back into the clouds, the combination of visibility and burned bush and forest, creates some pretty sinistre photos.

Day two, the same mountain, but an easier ascent (7,8 km, 940 metres ascend) from the north.

SAM_2024.JPG
Through the trees, the view on La Maroma brightens your horizon immediately, not like the first walk, where it took an hour or two to have a view on it.

SAM_2028.JPG
Looking over the Sierras de Tejeda.

SAM_2033.JPG
La Maroma.

SAM_2042.JPG
Again admiring the cloudscapes, this time during a break.

SAM_2053.JPG
Once you think you're nearly there, there is a sign saying La Maroma 2 km. These last kilometres are a slog up slabs and boulders.

SAM_2055.JPG
There is more exposure on this walk. Nothing dangerous or even for scrambling, but you do need to watch where you put your feet. It can be steep looking down.

SAM_2061.JPG
Me enjoying the (almost) summit view.

SAM_2089.JPG
Summit cairn, with some plaques honouring diseased mountainmen on it.

SAM_2077.JPG
Fantastics cloudscapes. I could enjoy them for hours. Clouds really separate you from the world below. A great feeling of quiet and a positive kind of loneliness, even when together.

SAM_2084.JPG
While we bask in the sun, chamois are walking by, looking for food.
Last edited by jacob on Thu Jan 14, 2016 3:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jacob

Munros:19   Corbetts:9
Fionas:4   
Hewitts:19

Re: La Maroma (2069m, Spain) twice.

Postby ilovescotty » Tue Dec 29, 2015 12:28 pm

Stunning, I love the quality of your photos.

Spain has so much to offer, I was in Andalucia earlier this year, great scenery and great wildlife. Well done!
ilovescotty
Munro compleatist

Munros:5   Corbetts:1
Hewitts:2

Postby jacob » Wed Dec 30, 2015 10:47 am

Thank you. Spain is great indeed, provided you know where to look and in what season. Most national parks are worth a visit. The 2 things i dislike about it are the unexpected density of civilisation ( apart from national parks nowhere it's empty) and a lot of garbage everywhere. For uk people the picos aren't that far. The picos are simply stunning. And mind you, it's gaelic culture there. Bagpipes and all.
jacob

Postby ChrisW » Sun Jan 03, 2016 9:07 pm

Great report Jacob with beautiful photos, the one of you on a cliff near the summit on day 1 is awesome. I've never hiked in Spain as during my misspent youth beer, beaches and babes was all I was interested in :lol: Fine report bringing more diversity to our wee section of WH :clap: :clap:
ChrisW
Rambler

Munros:18   Corbetts:5
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:6   

Postby jacob » Mon Jan 04, 2016 10:06 am

Many youth wouldn't consider beer, beaches and babes (in any order of appearance) as misspent :lol:
But it is true, I am very happy with our wee section on WH, as WH is by far the best hiking website I know, for it is the friendliest ( :thumbup: for all members) and the user-friendliest ( :thumbup: for the admins).
jacob

3 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Outside Scotland