walkhighlands

This board helps you to share your walking route experiences in England and Wales... or overseas.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Mallagh More

Mallagh More

Postby ancancha » Sat Jan 09, 2016 11:27 pm

Date walked: 09/01/2016

Time taken: 2.02

Distance: 5.21 km

Ascent: 145m

3 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Mullagh More.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

WH OS only covers UK, but you will be able to import the route into google earth :wink:
For those who can't be bothered, then this is what it looks like :D

Now I know what's out there and how to get to it, I couldn't resist going back and checking out this intriguing looking lump of rock.
Arrive in time to get a photo mirrored in the perfectly still lough

I knew from last weeks escapade on the bike that there was a marked track heading in the direction of Mullagh More, and headed along suspecting I would have to make a diversion pretty quickly as the path would inevitably lead into the flooded lough

and so it was, but the ground is fine, rock hopping, but fine.
Another of the interesting walls 8)

I'd noticed that at the end of the helix for want of a better description it looked a pretty tame ascent, so skirted round this wall and proceeded up below the lower cliffs

The rocks are deceptive, not always solid :!:
So even though it isn't at a thousand metres, due care and attention needed

Another wall with a gap for something to get through, possibly it's modern for dog walkers

I doubt they would have erratics here :?:
So this was interesting, there were a few others, probably rock fall that's eroded over time

The severity and height of the cliff eased and I found a nice wee scramble

Not sure how long this creature had been watching me climb up, but it and its chums further along were very docile and just watched curiously as I made my way along

yet another wall

and was soon looking at what I assumed would be the final set of tame scrambles up to the top

A wall with a view

I guess they aren't short of material around here :lol:

The view north from about the same spot

Then a view of the cairn at the top

Looking west, it is an unusual landscape

and more Northerly to Slieve Roe and Knockanes

The summit cairn looking in the same direction

Once at the top there were way markers for green, blue and red tracks and the paths were well trodden

I was a little concerned about the light and didn't have my head torch with me, so the easy going was appreciated

A look back up to the summit dome

Next stage was to find my way done to the next level, no real issue, just a bit to the North and around and down, below a herd of goats grazed

The Burren is saturated with Hazel trees. When I first arrived I went and picked the wild hazel nuts with my sister, they were small, but actually very tasty lightly fried in butter and salt.

On along

and around the ledge. I thought I may have to double back as it first broadened and then narrowed against the cliffs above and below

but there was an easy traverse path down

and through a velvet floored Hazel forest

Guess the goats haven't gotten round to this bit yet.

Anyway the forrest is short lived and it is back onto a well trodden path which I knew would be the other side of the path that entered the Lough on the other side, it's well way marked

and sure enough

Guess in hindsight I could have walked around the shoreline, but there was also a path going up to the left at this point, so took that.
Shortly afterwards intersecting the first wall I'd encountered on the way up

A very short but interesting walk and it's just good to get out and about and a bit higher than normal and enjoy the views 8)
ancancha
Mountain Walker

Munros:84   Corbetts:3
Fionas:1   Donalds:1

Re: Mallagh More

Postby ChrisW » Mon Jan 11, 2016 12:46 am

What an intriguing landscape Ancancha, with widespread areas of 'ankle-snappers' too :lol: Great to see :clap:
ChrisW
Rambler

Munros:18   Corbetts:5
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:6   

Postby malky_c » Mon Jan 11, 2016 8:40 am

Interesting stuff :) . I was supposed to go to The Burren for an orienteering event about 20 years ago, but never did for some reason. The name hadn't crossed my mind since then, so nice to finally see some photos. Those hills look way higher than 150 - 200m.
malky_c

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:219   Donalds:80+37
Sub 2000:315   Hewitts:281
Wainwrights:140   Islands:39

Postby ancancha » Tue Jan 12, 2016 1:11 pm

ChrisW wrote:What an intriguing landscape Ancancha, with widespread areas of 'ankle-snappers' too :lol: Great to see :clap:

Cheers Chris
Some great tame scrambling to be had up there and the surrounding tops, hopefully I will get another one this weekend in sunnier weather :roll:
ancancha
Mountain Walker

Postby ancancha » Tue Jan 12, 2016 1:20 pm

malky_c wrote:Interesting stuff :) . I was supposed to go to The Burren for an orienteering event about 20 years ago, but never did for some reason. The name hadn't crossed my mind since then, so nice to finally see some photos. Those hills look way higher than 150 - 200m.

When I started out towards the top I would have agreed with you about the height Malky, but Viewranger GPS says I started at 30m and highest was 175m, there were no way point skips as viewranger is apt to do, especially if you are moving fast ( on a bike or skis ) so I guess it is accurate.

I went to the top of Slieve Elva not long after I arrived; it is 398m, the highest in the area, but not worth bothering about !
Drove almost to the top and the walk from where I parked the car to the summit was over an actively worked peat bog and the summit cairn was just a trig point in a marsh :shock:

Hpefully I will get up on a more blue sky day and get some decent photos...
ancancha
Mountain Walker

Postby Petr Dakota » Sat Jan 16, 2016 11:18 pm

Hi Craig, nice to see you keeping the outdoor even outside Scotland :clap: :clap:
Interesting area and the terrain...
Well done :clap: 8)
Petr Dakota
Mountain Walker

Munros:247   Corbetts:28
Fionas:8   Donalds:4
Sub 2000:3   Hewitts:19
Wainwrights:12   Islands:1

Postby ancancha » Sun Jan 17, 2016 12:39 am

Petr Dakota wrote:Hi Craig, nice to see you keeping the outdoor even outside Scotland :clap: :clap:

Cheers Petr
I'm really looking forawrd to getting settled and doing a lot more exploring :D
ancancha
Mountain Walker

Postby Petr Dakota » Sun Jan 17, 2016 5:19 pm

ancancha wrote:
Petr Dakota wrote:Hi Craig, nice to see you keeping the outdoor even outside Scotland :clap: :clap:

Cheers Petr
I'm really looking forawrd to getting settled and doing a lot more exploring :D

I´m looking forward too...to see your another expedition, keep reporting :clap: :wink: :D
Petr Dakota
Mountain Walker

Munros:247   Corbetts:28
Fionas:8   Donalds:4
Sub 2000:3   Hewitts:19
Wainwrights:12   Islands:1

3 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Outside Scotland