walkhighlands

This board helps you to share your walking route experiences in England and Wales... or overseas.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Roseberry Topping & Captain Cooks monument

Roseberry Topping & Captain Cooks monument

Postby thefallwalker » Tue Jan 19, 2016 10:02 am

Date walked: 18/01/2016

Time taken: 2.45

Distance: 11.3 km

Ascent: 500m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

After an enforced winter lay off (about 2 months) mostly due to the unfortunate floods over the Lake District, Myself & the Trailmasher plus my daughter Eva finally got out yesterday over the Lakes on a nice leg stretcher which my good friend TM will enlighten you all on at some point soon.
But for todays walk, I was sat cabbaged up in the house bored and going out of my little mind! and then i remembered my lovely mother-in-law had bought me for Christmas an AA guide to 50 walks in North Yorkshire complete with maps and step by step instructions, so after a quick scan through the pages i came across Roseberry Topping & Captain Cooks monument, and as i live near Middlesbrough it was only a 15 minute drive to the start of the walk, off i went after quickly putting a few essentials in the bag!
I parked in the National Trust car park at the bottom of RT, and after paying £4 for all day parking and a quick chat with a couple who apparently were going the same way i was off.
IMG_1200_1024x768.jpg
Roseberry Topping my 1st port of call
IMG_1201_1024x768.jpg

A good steady ascending lane leads up to a gate which you go through to be met by a steep straight ascent up to the top, now although the path is without doubt really good and well defined (even in todays snow) there is lots of ice and so is tricky and care had to be taken not to slip all the way back down the to the bottom! After the initial trudge the stone steps turn into what i think was more of a gravel/grassy path which meandered its way up to the summit.
IMG_1202_1024x768_1024x768.jpg
the top of R.T

On reaching the top there was another couple accompanied by there dog, a quick hello, photo and off i headed eastwards down off the top
IMG_1204_1024x768.jpg
the way i'm going
IMG_1206_1024x768.jpg
the very good path off the top
attachment=1]
IMG_1205_1024x768.jpg
looking back to the top
IMG_1205_1024x768.jpg[/attachment]and then a steady ascent up towards a gate to turn left ant a lovely easy walk for a mile or so alongside a wall next to some woodland
IMG_1207 (1)_1024x768.jpg
the welcome easy part!
IMG_1208_1024x768.jpg
Capt Cooks monument in the distance
before a downhill stroll to a car park that sits at the bottom of the ascent up to the monument. Yet again a very well defined track that leads steadily upwards for I guess 1km before it levels off and before me stood the very impressive Captain Cook's monument, a little giggle as I pass 2 "Christmas" trees adorned in Christmas decorations!
IMG_1209 (1)_1024x768.jpg
The "christmas"tree!
Very nice to I reckon,
IMG_1210 (1)_1024x768.jpg
Captain Cooks monument
& then I'm at the impressive monument. At this point my i phone camera decided to turn itself off for the day!! So after another quick stop off I head slightly right through 2 upright stones heading down to a lane passing by some very impressive and no doubt expensive houses, turning left at a easy to see sign over a stile through a field, through some woods and then turning right at another way marker upwards out of the woods to some more easy walking, at this point i made my 1 and only error in turning right instead of left which has probably added another 1/2 mile & 200 ft on top of the stated figures at the start of this walk! but hey ho once i got myself back on track it was just a steady descent back through the woods bearing right all the way down until i reached the gate where my 1st ascent of the day started. All that was left was a 5 minute stroll back to the car. i must say that for my 1st time out on my own i enjoyed having to rely on myself instead of TM for the directions but much prefer the company on walks.
Last edited by thefallwalker on Wed Jan 20, 2016 1:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
thefallwalker
Mountaineer

Hewitts:115
Wainwrights:214   

Re: Roseberry Topping & Captain Cooks monument

Postby trailmasher » Tue Jan 19, 2016 11:14 am

A good description of a decent and popular walk TFW :clap: and looking forward to the pics when you get sorted. Have a look at the FAQ section where it explains how to post your images.
trailmasher
Mountaineer

Munros:13   
Hewitts:179

Postby thefallwalker » Tue Jan 19, 2016 11:25 am

I did tm, followed and downloaded but still no success! Still God loves a trier but thanks for your comments :D
thefallwalker
Mountaineer

Postby johnkaysleftleg » Tue Jan 19, 2016 9:26 pm

A lovely walk that I've done several times in many weathers. Never paid for parking however, I either park at the Cook's monument CP or the area just outside Newton under Roseberry both of which are free.
johnkaysleftleg
Hill Bagger

Munros:25   Corbetts:11
Fionas:11   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:7   Hewitts:172
Wainwrights:214   Islands:8

Postby ChrisW » Mon Jan 25, 2016 5:29 am

It may be stupid to say but man, it looks cold in those photos :shock: but equally some shots of the snow at home has got me thinking about where I can go and experience some :wink: Lovely to share this popular walk with you TFW, it's been a couple of months for me too :crazy:
ChrisW
Rambler

Munros:18   Corbetts:5
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:6   

Postby thefallwalker » Mon Jan 25, 2016 10:42 am

thanks for your comments Chris, to tell the truth it didnt feel cold, however i was always moving, my head and hands were actually sweating! but the fact that my phone kept switching itself off maybe says it was cold! but yes it was a good expierence to walk in the snow & hoping it wont go away too soon :D all the best with your walks bud.
thefallwalker
Mountaineer

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Outside Scotland