walkhighlands

This board helps you to share your walking route experiences in England and Wales... or overseas.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

A Day in the Wasatch Backcountry-Utah, USA

A Day in the Wasatch Backcountry-Utah, USA

Postby rvrscum » Thu Jul 22, 2010 12:57 am

Date walked: 03/09/2010

Time taken: 6

Distance: 20 km

Ascent: 1200m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

During the winter months I reside in Park City, Utah. This is a major US ski town, and home of the famous Sundance Film Festival. There are three ski resorts right in Park City, and I work as an instructor at one of them, Deer Valley. On days off, I will head out of the resort boundaries and hike around in search of fresh tracks. The following trip report is from the best overall day I had this past winter season.

Looking E from the summit of 9990', the highest point of The Canyons Resort. I used lifts to get most of my vertical at the beginning of my trip, but had to hike the last few hundred feet to the top:

Looking W from 9990' into Big Cottonwood Canyon and Salt Lake City. The Oquirrh Mountains are in the far distance. Kessler's Peak is the left summit at about 10,400', and Mt. Raymond (10,200')is hidden behind the fir tree:

Off the backside of 9990' into Beartrap Fork:

Back up for more via skin track:

This is why you sweat it out to earn your turns, untracked goodness!!!:

My favorite photo that I took all winter:

Making laps:

Looking over the head of Big Cottonwood Canyon, and the ski resorts of Solitude and Brighton. They get over 500 inches of snow in an average winter:

Another favorite photo from this day. Blue skies, somewhat stable snow conditions, and fresh snow from the previous night. Enjoy!!!:

rvrscum

Munros:9   
Fionas:2   
Sub 2000:2   

Re: A Day in the Wasatch Backcountry-Utah, USA

Postby PauloUK77 » Thu Jul 22, 2010 8:44 pm

Some fantastic pics there,it looked a great adventure I'd better get booking a flight to the U.S.
PauloUK77
Mountain Walker

Munros:2   Corbetts:3
Fionas:1   
Sub 2000:12   Hewitts:43
Wainwrights:28   

Re: A Day in the Wasatch Backcountry-Utah, USA

Postby rvrscum » Sat Jul 24, 2010 1:32 pm

PauloUK77 wrote:Some fantastic pics there,it looked a great adventure I'd better get booking a flight to the U.S.

If you're ever in the US during the winter, Salt Lake City is a major air hub, and easily reached from the big eastern airports. Leave NY, DC, etc early enough and you can spend part of your travel day on the slopes, since 7 of the Utah resorts are 45 min or less from the SLC airport. The snow quality is unbelievable too, since Utah is very dry and arid, which makes for a light powder that is second to none.
rvrscum

Munros:9   
Fionas:2   
Sub 2000:2   

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Outside Scotland