walkhighlands

This board helps you to share your walking route experiences in England and Wales... or overseas.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Catbells, Ard Crags and Knott Rigg

Catbells, Ard Crags and Knott Rigg

Postby andy63 » Thu Feb 11, 2016 2:27 am

Wainwrights included on this walk: Ard Crags, Cat Bells, Knott Rigg

Date walked: 06/01/2016

Time taken: 5.2

Distance: 19.3 km

Ascent: 1142m

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

The weather forecast for this day wasn't too good - lots of cloud and a chance of drizzle- but at least it wasn't gale force winds and torrential rain, like it had been for most of the last few weeks, so I decided to go out anyway. As it turned out, it wasn't too bad.I didn't get rained on and the cloud was only on the higher summits, so I was OK on these smaller hills.
I started by parking at Hawse End and heading up to Catbells.

IMG_0055 (640x480).jpg
Catbells ascent

IMG_0056 (640x480).jpg
Derwentwater from Catbells

IMG_0058 (640x480).jpg

IMG_0060 (640x480).jpg
Catbells summit, view towards Maiden Moor

The original plan was to go up and down Catbells and then drive to Newlands Hause to cimb Knott Rigg and Ard Crags, but as I got to the top of Catbells I noticed that Ard Crags wasn't very far away, so I decided to make it a proper walk and do the three hills in a single round.
So I headed down to Little Town and along the path near Newlands Church.Crossing the valley was more difficult than expected.Normally, there are several footbridges across Keskadale Beck, but they all seem to have been destroyed in the recent floods.However, I did find a place where the stream was only a few inches deep, so I could take my boots off and roll my trousers up to wade across.

IMG_0061 (640x480).jpg
Ard Crags from Catbells

IMG_0062 (640x480).jpg
Little Town

IMG_0064 (640x480).jpg
Keskadale Beck

I got across the river near Aiken, from where I followed a path above a fence which slowly ascends the hill, before making a sharp let turn onto the ridge.

IMG_0065 (640x480).jpg
Ard Crags ascent

IMG_0067 (640x480).jpg

It's quite a long climb up to Ard Crags, with a false summit at Aiken Knott on the way.

IMG_0069 (640x480).jpg
Ard Crags summit

I then continued along the ridge over Knott Rigg and down to Newlands Hause.

IMG_0073 (640x480).jpg
Knott Rigg

IMG_0077 (640x480).jpg
Waterfall near Newlands Hause

The walk back to the car was along minor roads - I didn't bother looking for footpaths.
andy63

Munros:114   Corbetts:8
Fionas:13   Donalds:27+12
Sub 2000:3   Hewitts:316
Wainwrights:214   Islands:22

Re: Catbells, Ard Crags and Knott Rigg

Postby ChrisW » Fri Feb 12, 2016 5:58 am

Good stuff Andy, even better that you didn't get rained on :thumbup: I have to say I wouldn't have fancied wading the river so early in the season but I guess with all the bridges gone there's little choice, really like the shot of catbells summit :clap:
ChrisW
Rambler

Munros:18   Corbetts:5
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:6   

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Outside Scotland