walkhighlands

This board helps you to share your walking route experiences in England and Wales... or overseas.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Catstyecam, Swirral Edge, Helvellyn

Catstyecam, Swirral Edge, Helvellyn

Postby Guinessman » Mon Feb 29, 2016 12:26 pm

Wainwrights included on this walk: Helvellyn

Hewitts included on this walk: Helvellyn

Date walked: 28/02/2016

Time taken: 6

3 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

After being on Scafell Pike on 25/02/2016 and the chance to don crampons I went over to the Lakes again yesterday as the forecast looked good and picture's I,d seen from various websites suggested Swirral edge was in good nick. Parked in Glenridding and took the rough road up to the YH. from there the path goes to Red tarn and from that path I took the track going up the shoulder of Catstyecam. The snow was stripped bear on the ridge of Catstyecam and I continued along to Swirral edge stopping halfway along to put the crampons on and get the ice axe out. Swift progress was made to the exit slope which is about 70 feet from the last rock outcrop at an angle of around 60 degrees. Plenty of people have been this way over the winter and there were lots of steps in the ice forming terraces. Got to the top and went over to Helvellyn summit for a stop. By now it was only 11.30am and too early to go down. I kept the crampons on as the tops were icy and walked via the corrie edges onto Nethermost and Dollywagon pikes, removing the crampons halfway along as the snow cover became a bit sparse. I then returned via the Helvellyn highway to Helvellyn top. I had considered going back via Striding edge but queues were forming at various points , so I walked along to Lower man, and put the crampons back on to the descent to the zig zags and continued back to Glenridding. For about 4 or 500 feet of the top of the zig zag path the snow was soft and I would say skis would have been useful. A great day, unfortunately I would say there wont be many left in the Lakes.

Last edited by Guinessman on Tue Jun 13, 2017 10:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Guinessman
Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:52
Fionas:27   Donalds:89
Hewitts:142
Wainwrights:214   Islands:15

Re: Catstyecam, Swirral Edge, Helvellyn

Postby dav2930 » Mon Feb 29, 2016 7:51 pm

Nice one GM, great photos. :clap: Catstyecam's a fine peak and an excellent prelude (or postlude) to Swirral Edge. Looked like a decent enough amount of snow left up there. I don't blame you for avoiding the return by Striding Edge - the queues of folk coming the opposite way can be quite frustrating, as Karl and me found last time we did the circuit. :roll:
dav2930
Ambler

Munros:244   Corbetts:14
Fionas:18   Donalds:56
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:164
Wainwrights:214   Islands:2

Postby Guinessman » Mon Feb 29, 2016 9:20 pm

Thanks for that Dav, there's plenty of snow on the Eastern side at the minute, though don't know how long that will last.

When I looked at Striding edge there were queues of 7/8 people standing waiting at various points. It will keep for another day
Guinessman
Walker

Postby ChrisW » Tue Mar 01, 2016 5:47 pm

Beautiful shots GM, no wonder people were queuing up in places, the lakes always look so much more inviting with a bit of snow cover, in fact I think all mountains do :clap:
ChrisW
Rambler

Munros:18   Corbetts:5
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:6   

Postby Guinessman » Fri Mar 04, 2016 9:14 pm

Thanks for that Chris, my photography IMHO is certainly better in the winter months
Guinessman
Walker

Postby ancancha » Fri Mar 04, 2016 11:20 pm

That looks like a lot of fun 8)
Snowy ridge looks great in the photos :clap:
ancancha
Mountain Walker

Munros:84   Corbetts:3
Fionas:1   Donalds:1

3 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Outside Scotland