walkhighlands

This board helps you to share your walking route experiences in England and Wales... or overseas.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Canada - Finding winter at Upper Kananaskis Lake

Canada - Finding winter at Upper Kananaskis Lake

by ChrisW » Sat Mar 05, 2016 8:51 pm

Date walked: 05/03/2016

Time taken: 5

Distance: 15.4 km

Ascent: 276m

Click to mark this as a great report. Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Re: Canada - Finding winter at Upper Kananaskis Lake

Postby ChrisW » Wed Mar 16, 2016 3:23 am

johnkaysleftleg wrote:A pleasure as always Chris, good to see your better half getting out and about with you.

Cheers JK, it's good to have her back for the weekend wanderings :wink:
ChrisW
Rambler

Munros:18   Corbetts:5
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:6   

Postby Merry-walker » Wed Mar 16, 2016 11:11 pm

Hey Chris

Sound report and awesome photos. I hope you were a gentleman and walked out to check the ice before MrsW :shock: You live in such a beautiful part of the world (I know I've said it before...) We have family in Canada in Saint Catherines, Ontario and hope to get over there either this year or next to jaunt about the area.

Have you got any plans for coming back to Scotland?
Merry-walker
Mountaineer

Munros:65   Corbetts:53
Fionas:12   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:5   

Postby ChrisW » Thu Mar 17, 2016 2:47 am

Merry-walker wrote:Hey Chris

Sound report and awesome photos. I hope you were a gentleman and walked out to check the ice before MrsW :shock: You live in such a beautiful part of the world (I know I've said it before...) We have family in Canada in Saint Catherines, Ontario and hope to get over there either this year or next to jaunt about the area.

Have you got any plans for coming back to Scotland?

Hey MW, where have you been? Nice to see you back on here :thumbup: (I'm a bit scarce in the Scotland section myself :lol: ) Anyway, I always test the ice, like I tell Sarah "if it will hold me, you've got no worries" :lol: We are aiming to stay here for 3 more years and then retire....unless something financially better comes along which allows us to retire earlier, (or if a good job in Europe comes up with allows us to explore over there for a bit) if it does we'll be off again :crazy:
ChrisW
Rambler

Postby past my sell by date » Fri Mar 25, 2016 6:15 pm

Stunning pictures Chris - I feel cold just looking at them. I definitely wouldn't go to Belgium :lol:
past my sell by date
Mountaineer

Munros:282   Corbetts:86
Fionas:27   Donalds:6
Sub 2000:8   Hewitts:146
Wainwrights:159   

Postby ChrisW » Mon Mar 28, 2016 2:21 am

past my sell by date wrote:Stunning pictures Chris - I feel cold just looking at them. I definitely wouldn't go to Belgium :lol:

Cheers mate, I find myself relieved that we didn't go to Belgium after all :crazy:
ChrisW
Rambler

Postby chinksster » Sat Apr 09, 2016 10:51 am

Chris you are such a lucky man! :clap: What a beautiful setting and fantastic pictures. I love Canada, unfortunately I have only been 3 times but have had great fun and memories there. It has always been in the winter and to ski. Fernie BC is wonderful and your picture make me think about those magnificent mountains. Thanks for your support and positivity to all the WH users. :D
chinksster
Munro compleatist

Munros:10   
Hewitts:32
Wainwrights:3   

Postby ChrisW » Sun Apr 10, 2016 5:32 am

chinksster wrote:Chris you are such a lucky man! :clap: What a beautiful setting and fantastic pictures. I love Canada, unfortunately I have only been 3 times but have had great fun and memories there. It has always been in the winter and to ski. Fernie BC is wonderful and your picture make me think about those magnificent mountains. Thanks for your support and positivity to all the WH users. :D

Thanks Chinkster, I really appreciate your comment :oops: Me and the Mrs went down to Fernie last year and really liked it but with so many places to see we rarely get a chance to return anywhere :roll:
ChrisW
Rambler

Postby davgil » Sun Apr 17, 2016 11:39 pm

Another stunning landscape Chris, what a beautiful place, thanks for keeping them coming!
davgil
Mountain Walker

Munros:142   Corbetts:8
Hewitts:5
Wainwrights:4   Islands:7

Postby HalfManHalfTitanium » Mon Apr 18, 2016 8:55 am

Wow Chris, fantastic photos. The sense of scale and space is amazing. Especially liked the look of Mt Sarrail and Mt Indefatigable, amazing rock strata perfectly captured in those photos.
HalfManHalfTitanium
Mountain Walker

Munros:119   Corbetts:28
Fionas:6   Donalds:6
Hewitts:152
Wainwrights:103   

Postby ChrisW » Tue Apr 19, 2016 11:37 pm

davgil wrote:Another stunning landscape Chris, what a beautiful place, thanks for keeping them coming!

Thanks Dav, it really is a spectacular location (our favourite out here)

HalfManHalfTitanium wrote:Wow Chris, fantastic photos. The sense of scale and space is amazing. Especially liked the look of Mt Sarrail and Mt Indefatigable, amazing rock strata perfectly captured in those photos.

Cheers HMHT, Mt Sarrail is a monster, I really fancy having a go at it but the distance is massive as you have to circle around it first, there's no way to get closer by car or even bike so it's either a night out in the wilderness or a no-go I think. Indefatigable is one I return to quite often, the stunning east ridge is a lovely half day wander :thumbup:
ChrisW
Rambler

12 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Previous

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Outside Scotland