walkhighlands

This board helps you to share your walking route experiences in England and Wales... or overseas.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Hedgehope Hill and Cheviot.

Hedgehope Hill and Cheviot.

Postby Guinessman » Mon Mar 07, 2016 10:43 pm

Hewitts included on this walk: Hedgehope Hill, The Cheviot

Date walked: 06/03/2016

7 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

It has been almost a year since I last paid a visit to the Cheviots and with the way the snow has stayed this year another visit was in order. Travelled up on Sunday morning having sneakily done the mothers day bit on Friday. For a change did a leisurely drive up to Wooler, as I am normally hammering over to the Lakes, and drove down into the Harthope valley on snow covered ungritted roads, getting to the rough parking area at Langleeford around 9am. Saw a pair of boots on a nearby rock so curiously went over and found a pair of waterlogged Berghaus boots which I think the owner will not be recovering.
As I was getting ready saw another walking across the footbridge near to the parking area and going up to Housey crags. He puzzled me as I was the only car in the valley and beyond the parking area the road is private and as far as I am aware there is no accommodation further up the valley. As I saw him going up towards Housey crags I thought I would catch him up but didn't see him or his tracks again. Strange.
Got ready. At the time the air was still and the temperature bitter, below freezing I would guess.
My route then took me up to Housey crags and then across what is normally boggy ground towards Hedgehope Hill. The ground/snow was firm and took the weight. As I ascended Hedgehope there were various patches of ice and the walking easy.

Housey Crags

Hedgehope Hill

Got to the top of Hedgehope just as the cloud started to roll over. I took a break and waited for a short while to capture some pics as the cloud started to thin out. After a short break took the descending path and into a bitter cross wind. I took the opportunity to put on a Montane Balaclava that I just bought and donned a pair of mitts which I kept on a for a few miles. The path then climbs towards Comb fell and I took advantage of the matting as I did so. Onwards towards Scotsmans Knowe and then dropped down into the col that takes you towards Cairn Hill

Summit of Hedgehope

Cheviot from Hedgehope

Having got to the lowest hill point of the day before the climb up Cairn Hill was where the snow was at its worst. The path climbs up the hill and outside of winter it is a straightforward walk up. The snow however was soft and around shin deep. For most of the walk up I used the fence as a handrail to pull myself up and with quite a lot of effort got to Cairn Hill

Hedgehope from the path up to cairn hill

Distant Windy gyle

I got to Cairn hill around 1pm and thought it too early to go onto Cheviot so I opted to walk onto Auchope cairn and take a break there. In normal conditions there is a lot of paving that takes you over the damp boggy ground but today there was no sign of it so you made your own way. Bumped into a Scottish trio on the way over who had come up from Cocklawfoot. Got to the Auchope cairn (s) and considered going down to the Refuge hut to do a return trip that I had done last year http://www.walkhighlands.co.uk/Forum/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=49908 but decided to go backover to Cheviot and return to the car via Scald hill

Iced over directional markers

Auchope cairn(s)

Clouds closing in

Cheviot summit

Hedgehope from the path down from Cheviot

All in, another good day. The Cheviots might lack the grandeur of other areas such as the lakes or Scotland and the winter walking does not require crampons or an ice axe but the walking is great and the space is awesome and the miles pass by easily. I watched a programme of late with Robson Green commenting on Northumberland and he said "you might be alone but you are never lonely." I love the place. Its Englands best kept secret.
Last edited by Guinessman on Tue Jun 13, 2017 10:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Guinessman
Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:52
Fionas:27   Donalds:89
Hewitts:142
Wainwrights:214   Islands:15

Re: Hedgehope Hill and Cheviot.

Postby ChrisW » Tue Mar 08, 2016 7:23 am

Great report Guinessman, I'm with you all the way with this one, to be honest I'd prefer it to the lakes for the most part just because of the lack of crowds. There is so much to be said for the tranquility of solitude that the hills themselves are quite often secondary.

I love the photos, especially the ones up to where the horizontal snow and ice clinging to everything make it feel so cold just to look at. :clap: :clap:
ChrisW
Rambler

Munros:18   Corbetts:5
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:6   

Postby Broggy1 » Tue Mar 08, 2016 12:35 pm

Some brilliant pictures here. :clap:

I enjoyed these hills when I did them but part of me did wish I'd saved them for winter as they looked perfect for it - could always go back I guess!
Broggy1
Mountain Walker

Munros:111   Corbetts:19
Fionas:5   Donalds:20+7
Sub 2000:8   Hewitts:274
Wainwrights:214   Islands:1

Postby johnkaysleftleg » Tue Mar 08, 2016 12:40 pm

Great pics of a walk that's been on my 'to do' list for a long time. Looks fabulous in winter conditions and far colder than it was in the Lakes on Sunday.
johnkaysleftleg
Hill Bagger

Munros:25   Corbetts:11
Fionas:11   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:7   Hewitts:172
Wainwrights:214   Islands:8

Postby dav2930 » Tue Mar 08, 2016 6:40 pm

That looks a great walk GM; lots of snow up there and a lot of space 8)
I've been meaning to walk the Cheviots for many years and still haven't got round to it :roll: Your report might just provide the necessary inspiration to get me over there. Winter definitely looks the time to do it! :clap:
dav2930
Ambler

Munros:244   Corbetts:14
Fionas:18   Donalds:56
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:164
Wainwrights:214   Islands:2

Postby Guinessman » Tue Mar 08, 2016 9:13 pm

ChrisW wrote:Great report Guinessman, I'm with you all the way with this one, to be honest I'd prefer it to the lakes for the most part just because of the lack of crowds. There is so much to be said for the tranquility of solitude that the hills themselves are quite often secondary.

I love the photos, especially the ones up to where the horizontal snow and ice clinging to everything make it feel so cold just to look at. :clap: :clap:

Thanks for that Chris, being going to the Cheviots for as long as I can remember, love the place, far rather be there than queuing on some of the popular Lakelend ridges.
Guinessman
Walker

Postby Guinessman » Tue Mar 08, 2016 9:14 pm

Broggy1 wrote:Some brilliant pictures here. :clap:

I enjoyed these hills when I did them but part of me did wish I'd saved them for winter as they looked perfect for it - could always go back I guess!

Thanks for that Broggy. I prefer them in winter, for obvious reasons!
Guinessman
Walker

Postby Guinessman » Tue Mar 08, 2016 9:15 pm

johnkaysleftleg wrote:Great pics of a walk that's been on my 'to do' list for a long time. Looks fabulous in winter conditions and far colder than it was in the Lakes on Sunday.

Thanks for that JKLL. Choose either a very dry period or a frozen winter day if you are going that way
Guinessman
Walker

Postby Guinessman » Tue Mar 08, 2016 9:18 pm

dav2930 wrote:That looks a great walk GM; lots of snow up there and a lot of space 8)
I've been meaning to walk the Cheviots for many years and still haven't got round to it :roll: Your report might just provide the necessary inspiration to get me over there. Winter definitely looks the time to do it! :clap:

Thanks for that Dav, couldn't believe the amount of snow up there, I think spring will be late in the hills this year.

If you are going as per previous post choose either a very dry period or a frozen winter.
Guinessman
Walker

Postby trailmasher » Wed Mar 09, 2016 3:48 pm

Great report and brilliant pics Guinessman :clap: :clap: What a difference from a summers day walking those hills :crazy: its a pleasure walking them. I may have to make a point of getting up there again but next time in winter :) Well done you :clap:
trailmasher
Mountaineer

Munros:13   
Hewitts:179
Wainwrights:214   

Postby Guinessman » Wed Mar 09, 2016 8:32 pm

trailmasher wrote:Great report and brilliant pics Guinessman :clap: :clap: What a difference from a summers day walking those hills :crazy: its a pleasure walking them. I may have to make a point of getting up there again but next time in winter :) Well done you :clap:

Thanks for that trailmasher, snow might be around for a while
Guinessman
Walker

7 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Outside Scotland