walkhighlands

This board helps you to share your walking route experiences in England and Wales... or overseas.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

TITTERSTONE CLEE HILL - SHROPSHIRE

TITTERSTONE CLEE HILL - SHROPSHIRE

Postby susanmyatt » Sun Jul 25, 2010 1:52 pm

Date walked: 24/07/2010

Time taken: 7

Distance: 14 km

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Hi, down in Shropshire yesterday in a new area to us, not done this walk or hill before.It seemed really hard work, some paths were very poor and we had to fight our way through the trees, we couldn't believe how slow progress was and had to cut the distance short :problem: Anyway we parked up at GR SO 595 753 at Clee Hill.

clee hill.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

We were soon into the green stuff and it was a clear day with views to the Malverns etc.
IMG_4026.jpg
Beginning of walk
We had passed through Shetfields and Hints before crossing the A4117 at Doddington where we saw this des res
IMG_4032.jpg
Nice
IMG_4039.jpg
Red Admiral ?
Following the Jack Mytton Way we could zoom in on Titterstone Clee Hill
IMG_4047.jpg
The Jack Mytton Way
We climbed up towards the top of Titterstone where we posed in front of a big golf ball
IMG_4054.jpg
Imagine the size of the club?
The buildings are a radar station for air traffic control and apparently control 100 mile radius
IMG_4057.jpg
Air traffic control
We then climbed a short way to the trig point on top of Titterstone Clee Hill at 533m, a Marilyn
IMG_4063.jpg
Alan & Steve
IMG_4065.jpg
Bridie, Jane and myself
There were some good views from up there
IMG_4068.jpg
Views
As well as an old fort on top, the whole area had seen quarrying for many years until the 50's,employing up to 2000 men, then recently a new mine had opened and is still operational
IMG_4073.jpg
Old quarry buildings
IMG_4080.jpg
Modern mine
As we looked back to our descent there was a small rise to Clee Hill before reaching the car.
IMG_4078.jpg
View back on our descent
As I said earlier we don't know where the time went, perhaps it was the hard going, take care till next week, see you soon :D
susanmyatt
Munro compleatist

Hewitts:94
Wainwrights:141   

Re: TITTERSTONE CLEE HILL - SHROPSHIRE

Postby mountain coward » Sun Jul 25, 2010 2:01 pm

Yep it is a Red Admiral - lovely pic of it. You certainly get around - I presume you're based somewhere around that general area?
mountain coward

Re: TITTERSTONE CLEE HILL - SHROPSHIRE

Postby susanmyatt » Wed Jul 28, 2010 6:46 pm

Sorry for delay in replying, MC, we come from Newcastle-Under-Lyme in The Potteries (Staffs) so its not too far to the Buxton area, we can be parked up at the Roaches inside half an hour. :D
susanmyatt
Munro compleatist

Hewitts:94
Wainwrights:141   

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Outside Scotland