walkhighlands

This board helps you to share your walking route experiences in England and Wales... or overseas.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Kala Patar and everest Trek

Kala Patar and everest Trek

by davidsda » Sun Jul 25, 2010 6:47 pm

Date walked: 12/03/2010

Time taken: 300

Ascent: 5450m

Click to mark this as a great report. Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Re: Kala Patar and everest Trek

Postby Slogger » Tue Aug 03, 2010 12:54 pm

When my wife went down with severe altitude sickness on the trek, we had Diamox but I decided not to administer it, as it hides the symptoms and I wanted to be aware of what was really going on. Diamox relieves the symptoms but it is not a cure for altitude sickness. If you get to the state of requiring Diamox, you really should descent as well.
My wife suffers from Epilepsy and was on a powerful anti convulsant at the time, although I doubt this had anything to with it, as we had good advice from experienced mountaineering doctors beforehand.
Dave.
Slogger
Munro compleatist

Munros:146   
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:125
Wainwrights:141   

Postby Graeme D » Tue Aug 10, 2010 3:59 pm

Just taken a look at the Richard Struthers site. The rates look very reasonable - I was sorely tempted to make a booking but I'd have been in so much trouble when my wife gets in from work. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Graeme D

Munros:251   Corbetts:123
Fionas:75   Donalds:22
Sub 2000:59   Hewitts:36
Wainwrights:28   Islands:6

Postby debs.spencer » Wed Sep 08, 2010 9:40 pm

Thanks so much, we leave in a few weeks so will let you know how we get on, hopefully we will have loads of stories to tell. :D
debs.spencer
Munro compleatist

Munros:23   Corbetts:3
Fionas:1   

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Previous

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Outside Scotland