walkhighlands

This board helps you to share your walking route experiences in England and Wales... or overseas.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Robinson, Knott Rigg and Ard Crags

Robinson, Knott Rigg and Ard Crags

Postby pamfox » Tue Mar 22, 2016 11:50 pm

Wainwrights included on this walk: Ard Crags, Knott Rigg, Robinson

Hewitts included on this walk: Robinson

Date walked: 19/03/2016

Time taken: 5.5

Distance: 12.4 km

Ascent: 960m

4 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Robinson.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

It had been about 7 months since I last did a walk in the Lake District. We did a 20 Km walk including Simon's Seat and Lord's Seat 2 weeks before, which was great, but getting back to the Lakeland Fells was going to be tougher. Simon had planned a kind walk to kick start my Wainwright season, but I was still expecting to be more than a bit tired at the end of the day.
IMG_1572 - Copy.JPG
Dale Head,Hindscarth and Robinson from near Newlands Church

IMG_1573 - Copy.JPG
Simon looking forward to breaking in his new boots

I was soon to find out that Simon had planned another one of his direct ascents. He made it look easy but i wanted to kick myself for leaving it so long before coming back to the lakes. Where did the time go?
IMG_1115.JPG
Ascending Robinson via High Snab Bank

IMG_1120.JPG
Approaching Robinson (summit hidden)

The ascent of Robinson was steep and showed no mercy, but not as bad as Simon's direct ascent up Mellbreak last year. It levelled out for a while and I got chance to get the feeling back into my legs, but then came the scramble. It was very achievable, but definitely woke me up. The rocks were quite shallow in places so the hand and foot holds weren't all great. I enjoyed it though! I'd read about the false summit and was prepared for it, but I was quite glad to get the hardest part of the day over and done with. Robinson turned out to be a cheeky one.
IMG_1122.JPG
On Robinson with Crummock Water and Loweswater in the background

IMG_1123.JPG
Gables and the Scafell range from Robinson

After Robinson, we had to descend a fair way before going up to Knott Rigg. The day was starting to look better and better with blue sky sneaking through. The peace and quiet was a real treat too. I'd missed that.
IMG_1131.JPG
Descending from Robinson towards Newlands Hause

IMG_1133.JPG
Approaching Knott Rigg

I was so impressed with all the different ranges you can see from this part of the lakes - Helvellyn, High Stile, Scafell, Blencathra and even the langdale pikes at one point. You feel like you're in the middle of everything.
Walking from Knott Rigg to Ard Crags was harmless enough.
IMG_1138.JPG
Pillar and the High Stile range from Ard Crags

IMG_1139.JPG
Wandope, Eel Crag and Sail from Ard Crags

IMG_1579 - Copy.JPG
Good old Causey Pike

The descent from Ard Crags was steep but not unfamiliar! I'd better get used to it again. There's a lot of Wainwrights I want to tick off this year.
IMG_1140.JPG
Descending from Ard Crags with Causey Pike to the left

IMG_1144.JPG
Walking out alongside Rigg Beck

Thank you Simon for starting me off with the Wainwrights again this year. You put me to shame. I won't leave it so long next time. Thanks for giving me your photos to use too. Next time I'll make sure I've got plenty of battery power!
We'd had a great day which ended with a stunning blue sky. To finish the afternoon off we called in at the White Horse Inn at Scales. We were surrounded by people who had most likely been on Sharp Edge, probably feeling very pleased with themselves.

One day Sharp Edge, one day...........
pamfox

Munros:5   Corbetts:5
Fionas:1   
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:80
Wainwrights:133   

Re: Robinqitson, Knott Rigg and Ard Crags

Postby simon-b » Wed Mar 23, 2016 4:19 pm

It was a really nice day, Pam. The first climb of a round is always going to be a direct ascent, of course - one hill has to be first! Good look with further Wainwrights this year....and those 4 little Munros you're planning...
simon-b
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:30
Fionas:7   Donalds:12
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:155
Wainwrights:214   Islands:4

Re: Robinson, Knott Rigg and Ard Crags

Postby johnkaysleftleg » Wed Mar 23, 2016 7:59 pm

Enjoyed your report Pam, having had my own exile from the Lakes for a while I can empathise with the pain of a steep Lakeland accent following months away. That way up Robinson is a cracker however, one I'm planning on revisiting.
johnkaysleftleg
Hill Bagger

Munros:25   Corbetts:11
Fionas:11   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:7   Hewitts:172
Wainwrights:214   Islands:8

Postby trailmasher » Wed Mar 23, 2016 9:20 pm

It's a fair old pull up Robinson so well done you :clap: A good report and pics of a nicely done different way of getting these 3 hills in :clap:
trailmasher
Mountaineer

Munros:13   
Hewitts:179
Wainwrights:214   

Postby ChrisW » Thu Mar 24, 2016 4:35 am

Nice to see the weather improving throughout the day Pam, that's how it should be :wink:

I think it's been over 10 years since I saw the lakes :( I guess I'll get back there at some point :roll: Lovely hike, and well done on that tough ascent :clap:
ChrisW
Rambler

Munros:18   Corbetts:5
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:6   

Postby dav2930 » Sun Mar 27, 2016 12:14 pm

Definitely the best way up Robinson, that, and a fine little round in one of the loveliest corners of the Lakes. A great walk for getting your hill-legs back - well done! Nice photos too :clap:
dav2930
Ambler

Munros:244   Corbetts:14
Fionas:18   Donalds:56
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:164
Wainwrights:214   Islands:2

4 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Outside Scotland