walkhighlands

This board helps you to share your walking route experiences in England and Wales... or overseas.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Snowdon via Crib Goch

Snowdon via Crib Goch

by GarryH » Sat Jan 17, 2009 9:13 pm

Hewitts included on this walk: Crib Goch, Crib y Ddysgl, Snowdon - Yr Wyddfa

Date walked: 17/01/2009

Click to mark this as a great report. Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Re: Snowdon via Crib Goch

Postby otaffy » Mon Jul 06, 2009 1:04 pm

I've also been looking at photos to make sure I have the nerve for this one. Not so much of a problem with the ridge parts from what I have seen (being able to stick to the non-vertical side:) I think I can handle that, but then I searched for the pictures of the pinnacles and saw this one which made my stomach go...

111%20Crib%20Goch,%20the%20pinnacles.jpg

That kind of scrambling/climbing when combined with the drop to the right is too much for my poor little brain. Is this what I should be expecting, or are ways around the pinnacles?

(how does it compare to Tryfan - to give me some kind of comparrison)

Many thanks
otaffy

Postby Paul Webster » Mon Jul 06, 2009 1:10 pm

:shock: :shock: That's definitely not what you should be expecting - the usual way is on the other side of the pinnacles.

Technically it would be the same (grade 1) or perhaps even easier than Tryfan, but more exposed.
Paul Webster
Site Admin
Mountain Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:71   Donalds:45+17
Sub 2000:121   Hewitts:133
Wainwrights:135   Islands:92
Walk wish-list

Postby mountain coward » Mon Jul 06, 2009 6:23 pm

And Tryfan has all those options to go a non-exposed way, apart from one bit! But that was the picture which was giving me nightmares too!
mountain coward

Postby Paul Webster » Mon Jul 06, 2009 6:26 pm

Well it's certainly not the way I went :lol:
Paul Webster
Site Admin
Mountain Walker

Walk wish-list

Postby GarryH » Tue Jul 07, 2009 8:41 am

Paul Webster wrote:Well it's certainly not the way I went :lol:

Or me and if I`d seen this photo first I wouldn`t have bothered.
GarryH

Postby otaffy » Tue Jul 07, 2009 10:33 am

...that's very encouraging thanks guys.

When you say round the other side of the pinnacles, do you mean right around the other side? I only ask as I spotted the same bit of the path on one of the youtube videos, whith a chap going at it a slightly different way, a little further to the left... still gets the heart pounding though :)

thanks again for the help.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UzEiBtS3L4o[/youtube]
otaffy

Postby Paul Webster » Tue Jul 07, 2009 10:36 am

I definitely didn't climb up there either!! I can't remember the exact details (more than 10 years ago) but am sure you could continue across the slope a little lower on the left, or certainly find much easier ways up the pinnacles.
Paul Webster
Site Admin
Mountain Walker

Walk wish-list

Postby Nige R » Wed Jul 08, 2009 3:30 pm

Went over these the 1st time I did Crib Goch way back in 1979, cloud was down so could not see extent of drops, was only 16 then so thoughts of imminent death were not foremost in my mind! Have been over there in perfect weather which certainly gets your attention, you are right Paul you can go around and down to the left as I did when I rescued the guy I found stuck on the ridge ( see one of my earlier posts )
Nige R

Munros:13   Corbetts:3
Fionas:2   
Hewitts:97
Wainwrights:39   

Postby peter millward » Sun Jul 26, 2009 1:24 pm

Hi Guys,

You may remember i wrote to you all back in March begging for info and advice on crossing Crib Goch. Well yesterday me and my friend crossed the famous cribby.

It took us the best part of a day as we wanted to take our time and enjoy it too.

We made our assent from the East after leaving the Pyg track. I have to say i woke up at 0400hrs that Sat morning and couldn't get back to sleep as the day before (Fri) we went up onto the Pyg track just for a quick recce; bad move looks so scary from down there lol.

I was quite nervous as the exposure did not become apparent to me until i reached the top and it was a case of come on lets just get across. Unfortunately i was so intent on not looking down i only saw the rocks in front of me. I did look around occasionally though and the views were spectacular.
The weather was very kind and it was not until we crossed the third pinnacle that the cloud rolled in and the wind picked up.

This is something i would definately do again i am so pleased that we managed it as we are both a little scared of heights.

I want to thank all of you who took time to reply to my previous posts as all support and encourgement i have recieved definately helped me do this.
peter millward

Postby GarryH » Sun Jul 26, 2009 4:37 pm

Most certainly do remember Peter, viewtopic.php?f=13&t=746
And congratulations on achieving what was an obvious personal ambition. I to find that apprehension and nerves
sometimes stops you enjoying the full extent of what you`ve done until you`ve done it, then you wish you`d taken
it all in at the time. So I suppose that`s a good enough reason to do it again. Well done!
GarryH

Postby peter millward » Sun Jul 26, 2009 5:50 pm

Thanks GaryH

i will definately do this again. Only been down a few hours and already wish i had taken more time to look around.

Next time i will do it with a view to a view if you will excuse the pun.

Don't know what you are doing in the near future but really hope you enjoy; i'm sure you will.

Thanks again

Pete
peter millward

Postby peter millward » Sun Jul 26, 2009 9:09 pm

Hi mountain coward,

I want go on to much about the route or climb up other than to say for me it looked much harder/scarier from the pyg track than it did when we got halfway up, the climb was very enjoyable and not to difficult, i am not an experienced climber by any stretch of the imagination so i am sure you would love it.

When we got to the top i was a little nervous but this was my first attempt, however i was reassured by an old cribby vetran that the scramble across was no more difficult than the route up and this indeed proved to be the case; i just had to get my head around being a little exposed.

The pinnacles were not as hard as i had thought they would be; but that might be because my nightmares about them prior to my actually facing them were far worse than reality and kept me awake the night before the climb.

I would love to look on here in the near future and see that you have done this climb and i wish you all the best in your efforts on this front.

I just think that if i can do this you definately could as you have done so much more than me in your climbing experiances.

i wanted to add some photo's but my knowledge of computers is les than my climbing believe it or not and although i know how to add them they are to big!! (to many pixels). Good luck when you go for it though.
peter millward

Postby Liebestoter » Fri Jul 31, 2009 9:04 pm

How did you get such a clear picture of the trig point on Snowdon, when I went I had to fight my way through the crowds to get to it, it was the day the new cafe opened though. The ridge walk over Crib Goch was brilliant but getting to the summit of snowdon was a bit dissapointing as there were hundreds of people there. You could tell which ones went up on the train a mile off ( mothers feeding babies, women in high heels, grannies sat there knitting ) it's not right that. We then went on to complete the horse shoe by coming down over Y Lliwedd, all in all a great day out.
Attachments
Y Lliwedd with Sowdon in the back ground.JPG
New Cafe on snowdon.JPG
Crib Goch Ridge.JPG
Liebestoter
Mountain Walker

Munros:234   Corbetts:20
Fionas:11   Donalds:1
Hewitts:157
Wainwrights:165   

Postby GarryH » Sat Aug 01, 2009 3:11 pm

Hi,Liebestoter
It was during the week when everyone else was at work, so was very quiet,only saw one other bloke on the ridge and
only about a dozen at the summit.
Looks a bit busy when you went,great photo of the ridge by the way.
GarryH

Postby Liebestoter » Sat Aug 01, 2009 4:02 pm

Hi Garry Aren't you the lucky one, I had to queue up on parts of the ridge it was that busy. I saw more dogs up there than you saw people, I thought the new cafe had started the January sales early there were that many people there. I'll have to go back and do it on a week day, then I might even get in the car park this time.
Liebestoter
Mountain Walker

Munros:234   Corbetts:20
Fionas:11   Donalds:1
Hewitts:157
Wainwrights:165   

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

PreviousNext

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Outside Scotland