walkhighlands

This board helps you to share your walking route experiences in England and Wales... or overseas.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Blencathra

Blencathra

Postby Chris Mac » Fri Apr 22, 2016 1:33 pm

Wainwrights included on this walk: Blencathra

Hewitts included on this walk: Blencathra

Date walked: 17/04/2016

Time taken: 2.83

Distance: 7.36 km

Ascent: 659m

3 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

On the drive from Keswick to Blencathra Visitor Centre where we would start the walk, it doesn't take long for the hulking beast to pop into view and show its shapely southern face with Fell tops either side, as if guarding an ancient giant:

The walk starts with a nice easy path up the bulky Blease Fell

In no time the view of the surrounding peaks is superb, warranting many stops on the way up to soak in the surroundings:

Lonscale Fell over at Skiddaw comes into view as the path turns right:

Continue up towards the zig-zag path seen from Latrigg summit the day before:

Latrigg, Keswick & Derwent Water:

The view south and west... addictive:

Latrigg from the north east:

Easy going now up to Knowe Crags:

Made it, Gategill Fell Top is next...

...but first the view, Gategill Fell ridge:

Once up on the ridge the going is easy, time to enjoy the stroll and views:

Skiddaw behind to the left:

Gategill Fell coming up...

Looking back to Knowe Crags with Great Gable, Eel Crag, Grassmoor Hopegull Head and others in the background:

Skiddaw:

Summit (Hallsfell top) ahoy:

Hall's Fell ridge:

Onwards to the summit...

Made it, now soak in the view...

Helvellyn:

Skiddaw on the walk back down:

Gategill Fell top on the way back and looking south yet again:

It takes no time at all to return to the car...

Car park below and that's us:

I'm glad we chose Blencathra as it's a great walk done in just under three hours with a good path the whole way, lots of other friendly walkers and dogs to chat to and views to whet the appetite for the next visit to the Lake District, overall an all round pleasant experience and you can see all of the big Lake District hills from there, making choosing where to go and what to climb the next time we visit even harder....

https://www.flickr.com/photos/djchrismac/albums/72157665122893734
Last edited by Chris Mac on Sun May 01, 2016 1:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
Chris Mac

Munros:61   Corbetts:36
Fionas:25   Donalds:28+13
Sub 2000:74   Hewitts:6
Wainwrights:21   

Re: Blencathra

Postby tracym » Wed Apr 27, 2016 9:20 am

Good report. We are down to the lake District in the summer and Blencathra is on my to do list while we're there. Beautiful views and the path looks good too. Well done :)
tracym
Mountaineer

Munros:1   Corbetts:1
Sub 2000:3   

Postby Chris Mac » Wed Apr 27, 2016 3:01 pm

Thanks Tracy, my other half isn't an experienced walker plus is recovering from torn ankle ligaments but found Blencathra very enjoyable and easy going after the initial humph up the hill.

It's a great choice, you will not be disappointed although the view of Keswick is actually better from Latrigg but from Blencathra you will see almost all of the Lake District all around about you. Have fun when you go! :)
Chris Mac

Postby ChrisW » Thu Apr 28, 2016 4:29 am

Stunning pics of a great start to 'The Lakes' Chris, I was a little surprised to see snow on the top...I assume there's been a recent splurge :crazy: I'm roaming around British Columbia right now and almost every trail is closed due to avalanche conditions ... I should check the weather more often :roll: Great stuff as always mate, hope you get the best of weather for the remainder :wink:
ChrisW
Rambler

Munros:18   Corbetts:5
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:6   

Postby Chris Mac » Thu Apr 28, 2016 10:45 am

ChrisW wrote:Stunning pics of a great start to 'The Lakes' Chris, I was a little surprised to see snow on the top...I assume there's been a recent splurge :crazy: I'm roaming around British Columbia right now and almost every trail is closed due to avalanche conditions ... I should check the weather more often :roll: Great stuff as always mate, hope you get the best of weather for the remainder :wink:

Thanks Chris, yeah it was actually colder there than it was further north which was very unusual, hence the snow. Blencathra is a great walk, I think a big appeal to the area is that you can combine so many varied fells over countless routes, looking forward to doing some longer walks the next time we visit.

Haha aye you just be careful in BC dude, it's another world where you are in Grizzlie avalanche mega-mountain country! :lol:
Chris Mac

Postby ChrisW » Fri Apr 29, 2016 2:23 am

Chris Mac wrote:Haha aye you just be careful in BC dude, it's another world where you are in Grizzlie avalanche mega-mountain country! :lol:

Not quite a Grizz but I saw a couple of these today :wink:

ChrisW
Rambler

Munros:18   Corbetts:5
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:6   

Postby Chris Mac » Fri Apr 29, 2016 8:08 pm

Wow! :shock: :clap: great photo's, I love how the bear looks like he's going to smell the flower in the second one... :D
Chris Mac

3 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Outside Scotland