walkhighlands

This board helps you to share your walking route experiences in England and Wales... or overseas.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Western Oberland 6 The Gizzifurrggu Pass

Western Oberland 6 The Gizzifurrggu Pass

Postby past my sell by date » Sun Apr 24, 2016 2:07 pm

Date walked: 27/07/2015

3 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

The Gizzifurggu pass

I've not been over the Ferden pass, but by far the most exciting return to Leukerbad I've done is by the 2912m Gizzifurggu pass (various spellings). This is another route only made possible for walkers by the retreat of the glaciers.
945.jpg
Map of the Lotchen and Gizzifurggu passes and the descent to Fluealp
962.jpg
The hut and the pass
963.jpg
Early morning view South from near the hut -Weisshorn on the R
The ascent to the pass - marked by cairns - is on a mixture of snow and rock and at 8.00A.M. the snow is pretty hard. In 2015 I was on my own and, kept to the rock as far as possible as it was very hard work kicking steps . However when I got there I was rewarded by an amazing view of the Mont Blanc massif. :D :D

views from the pass
967.jpg
Mont Blanc
968.jpg
Zoomed - Grand Jorasses on the L - Plateau de Triente on the R
969.jpg
South ridge of the Balmhorn
975.jpg
Looking down to Leukerbad
976.jpg
By walking further R the Grand Combin appears just R of the Majinghorn ?
978.jpg
Right at the top Androsace helvetica - Swiss rock jasmine - a lime loving plant and the only place I've ever found it
991.jpg
Looking back down to the hut (circled). The 3293m Hockenhorn is on the L
994.jpg
Further L still the Petersgrat with the Blumisalp group behind
The South side of the pass was almost snow-free and a reasonable path could be followed down the slopes of black shale. The Flowers grew more prolific as I descended
1003.jpg
Campanula cenisia - Mt Cenis bellflower
1007.jpg
Cerastium latifolium - Broad-leaved mouse-ear
1008.jpg
Aster alpinus - Alpine aster
1010.jpg
Trifolium badium - Brown clover
1011.jpg
Silene acaulis - Moss campion
1012.jpg
A view up to the Ferden pass
1026.jpg
The path now descended into lush meadows.
1033.jpg
Gentiana purpurea - Purple gentian
1034.jpg
Gentiana lutea - Giant yellow gentian
1035.jpg
Looking back up to the pass
Eventually I reached a big track and came to the farm at Fluealp where there is also a cafe, but I didn't bother to stop
1038.jpg
Looking back again from Fluealp
From here you can walk down a gravel road to the village - about an hour and a half - but it looked deadly dull and I took a path to the R which led through some woods and crossed the stream. It was a wide very easy angled grassy path, but the "authorities" had covered a section of it in sackcloth/canvas. The idea I suppose was to cover some slimy rocks, but the effect was simply to transfer the sliminess through. Suddenly my Right foot shot sideways and Left, and I toppled rightwards over it: there was a sharp pain of tearing ankle ligaments and finally an even sharper one :( . My first serious accident in 60 years and it happened on a path that could have been in a local park. Akin to climbing Everest then falling to one's death on Arthur's Seat :crazy:
I managed to get into a sitting position and took stock. I could still wiggle my toes and move my foot up and down: my leg didn't appear to be broken. I took 400mg of Ibuprofen and using my poles managed to hobble back to the cafe where they called me a taxi . It turned out that as well as wrecking my ankle, I'd cracked the top of the fibula - so that was 6 weeks in a moonboot and a lot of easy track walking afterwards :(
1045.jpg
View across the stream - the promised land but I never got there :lol:
Despite the unfortunate ending, however, I still regard this as one of the best alpine walks I have ever done
Last edited by past my sell by date on Fri Dec 06, 2019 7:17 pm, edited 3 times in total.
past my sell by date
Mountaineer

Munros:282   Corbetts:86
Fionas:27   Donalds:6
Sub 2000:8   Hewitts:146
Wainwrights:159   

Re: The Western Oberland 1 - Gemmi and Lötschen passes

Postby ChrisW » Thu Apr 28, 2016 3:41 am

Wow, where to start with this stunner....I'll start by saying that Donna clearly gives you a run for your money in the photographic department :clap: I'm struck by how much a number of these shots look like they could be in Kananaskis, there are few places that look similar to here but some of these really do. I can easily see why this is your favourite place to hike, I'm sure I would feel the same given these shots covering such a large area (and every one a cracker) I almost laughed at the simplicity your accident, (though not at the injury :shock: ) isn't that always the way of it, as you say it's akin to clearing Everest and dying on Arthur's Seat :lol:

Really great write up again PMSD, you sure have done some wonderful hikes, I'm looking forward to round 2 :clap: :clap:
ChrisW
Rambler

Munros:18   Corbetts:5
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:6   

Re: The Western Oberland 1 - Gemmi and Lötschen passes

Postby past my sell by date » Sat Apr 30, 2016 2:25 pm

ChrisW wrote:Wow, where to start with this stunner....I'll start by saying that Donna clearly gives you a run for your money in the photographic department :clap: I'm struck by how much a number of these shots look like they could be in Kananaskis, there are few places that look similar to here but some of these really do. I can easily see why this is your favourite place to hike, I'm sure I would feel the same given these shots covering such a large area (and every one a cracker) I almost laughed at the simplicity your accident, (though not at the injury :shock: ) isn't that always the way of it, as you say it's akin to clearing Everest and dying on Arthur's Seat :lol:

Really great write up again PMSD, you sure have done some wonderful hikes, I'm looking forward to round 2 :clap: :clap:

Thanks Chris - glad you liked it and glad you made it to the end :lol: I suspect many readers fell by the wayside. It certainly is a fantastic area with a whole lot of walking - mostly on well marked paths. Also it's sufficiently low for altitude problems to be pretty well non-existent
I guess it will be quite a while before the Canadian rockies become so "domesticated" but I'm sure limestone scenery everywhere is broadly similar. I have all the photos prepared for part 2 but the maps are not as easy to take from the SAC website as they used to be. You can only see a small section at a time so a host of "printscreen" operations is necessary. On the other hand you have the option to include walking paths on the maps, which is a bonus - in part 2 we walked down a ski-route by mistake :lol:
past my sell by date
Mountaineer

Re: Western Oberland 6 The Gizzifurrggu Pass

Postby past my sell by date » Fri Dec 06, 2019 7:27 pm

This report originally contained a whole series of walks in this area, but on account of problems with google photos it is now just the last of a series of 6
past my sell by date
Mountaineer

3 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Outside Scotland