walkhighlands

This board helps you to share your walking route experiences in England and Wales... or overseas.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Drumaldrace and Dodd Fell Hill circuit from Burtersett

Drumaldrace and Dodd Fell Hill circuit from Burtersett

Postby Graeme D » Mon Aug 02, 2010 5:33 pm

Hewitts included on this walk: Dodd Fell Hill, Drumaldrace

Date walked: 25/07/2010

Time taken: 6

Distance: 21 km

Ascent: 410m

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

This is my first report submitted to the Outside Scotland section, although not my first experience of walking outside Scotland, having done the Snowdon Horseshoe a few years ago. It was however my first taste of the Yorkshire Dales, and of walking in England full stop.

My wife and I had booked a last minute holiday cottage for a week in Burtersett, a tiny little hamlet a mile or so from the bustling little market town of Hawes at the western end of Wensleydale.

Sunday was our first full day and we decided to head up onto Wether Fell at the back of the cottage, and to the trig point at the high point on Drumaldrace. From there we could either head back down the minor road into Gayle or continue around the back of Dodd Fell and back home on a stretch of the Pennine Way.

We set off at noon, heading up through the sheep fields and over a succession of stiles and gates in the dry stane dykes, some of which do not allow for a great deal of prior pie consumption :lol: . Just as well I'm a skinny little bugger! :lol:

IMG_4374.JPG
Burtersett and some of the local sheep

IMG_4376.JPG
Debbie and the view down along Wensleydale

The sheep grazing soon gives way to the hay meadows of the Burtersett High Pasture and beyond that, the old Roman road.

IMG_4380.JPG
Burtersett High Pasture

IMG_4381.JPG
515 metre Yorburgh

IMG_4385.JPG
More inquisitive locals

IMG_4386.JPG
Onto the Roman road

We continue along the tightly walled Roman road for about 3km, pausing for a few breathers along the way, before taking to the slopes for the short climb up onto the summit of Drumaldrace.

IMG_4388.JPG
Debbie and Lucy lead the way

IMG_4390.JPG
Pausing for juice and biscuits

IMG_4392.JPG
Astride a gate

IMG_4396.JPG
Looking east with the corner of Semer Water just visible

IMG_4397.JPG
Drumaldrace up ahead

The summit is marked by a cairn but is otherwise fairly undramatic, lacking any great sense of perspective.

IMG_4400.JPG
Inauspicious summit area

Dodd Fell Hill is prominent away to the south west and we decide to continue on to pick up the Pennine Way near Cam Houses and loop around the back of this hill.

IMG_4402.JPG
Back on the Roman road with Dodd Fell Hill in the distance

Just before we emerge onto the minor Hawes-Buckden road, there are a few cars parked up and people out flying remotely controlled model planes over the moors, and I can sense that Lucy is weighing up her chances of plucking one of them out of the air. You'll never learn Lucy - if you can't even manage to take down a rabbit, how are you going to manage a plane, even a model one???!!!

IMG_4406.JPG
A short section on tarmac

We follow the tarmac for about a kilometre until it makes a sharp left turn, at which point we continue straight ahead onto a track signed for Cam Houses.

IMG_4407.JPG
Cam Houses junction, looking back to Drumaldrace

This turns out to be a pretty tedious 3-4km stretch on the Roman road until we meet the Pennine Way, where we turn right for the long walk back home.

IMG_4409.JPG
Onto the Pennine Way

IMG_4410.JPG
Looking down on Snaizeholme

Debbie decides at this point that she is going to stick to the track and not bother with checking out the summit of Dodd Fell Hill, so Lucy and I cut up the heathery slopes at an angle to the trig point while she carries on along the Pennine Way on her own.

It only takes 10 minutes at a semi-jog to reach the trig point, which is on another fairly flat, featureless plateau with not much depth to the view round about it. I take a few quick snap shots and cut back down towards where I think Debbie will be, judging it to perfection to intersect with the Pennine Way just as she is passing.

IMG_4414.JPG
Lucy approaching the trig point

IMG_4418.JPG
....and at the trig

IMG_4421.JPG
Descending towards Ten End

From there, it is a long, gradual descent over bleak moor and then through sheep fields to emerge at the top of Gaudy House lane and then down into Gayle and along the back road past the campsite to Burtersett.

IMG_4426.JPG
Gayle and Hawes coming into view

IMG_4427.JPG
Gayle

IMG_4428.JPG
Gayle Beck and Mill

IMG_4429.JPG
Last leg to Burtersett through the fields

This was a nice little intro to walking in the Dales and a perfect little warm-up for the main event of the Three Peaks later in the week.

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Graeme D

Munros:251   Corbetts:124
Fionas:75   Donalds:22
Sub 2000:62   Hewitts:36
Wainwrights:28   Islands:6

Re: Drumaldrace and Dodd Fell Hill circuit from Burtersett

Postby colgregg » Fri Aug 06, 2010 10:45 pm

I did this route (reverse to yours) from Gayle in March and parts of it can be a route march!! The highlights for me are pictured below Aysgill Force is 30ft high but being surrounded by trees makes a decent photo difficult. Ingleborough, as ever, looks impressive from all angles. This walk, as with many dales walks, lacks the drama of a true mountain walk but if you simply want the exercise and several hours to yourself with your own thoughts it makes for a good day out and all in all I thoroughly enjoyed it. I never saw another soul all day. I too decided against the summit of Dodd. Looks like I didn't miss much!!
I didn't miss out on the best chippie in the Dales though. Chips and curry sauce in Hawes, smashing.

sleddale 010.JPG
Aysgill Force, just outside Gayle

sleddale 022.JPG
Zoom in on Ingleborough from Dodd Fell. The most impressive hill in Yorkshire looks even more dramatic under a covering of snow.
colgregg
Munro compleatist

Munros:15   Corbetts:5
Fionas:5   
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:181
Wainwrights:214   

Postby Graeme D » Sun Aug 08, 2010 5:41 pm

colgregg wrote:I didn't miss out on the best chippie in the Dales though. Chips and curry sauce in Hawes, smashing.

Yes, we enjoyed dinner one night in the Hawes Chippie, then nipped across the road to the Old Board. :D
Graeme D

Munros:251   Corbetts:124
Fionas:75   Donalds:22
Sub 2000:62   Hewitts:36
Wainwrights:28   Islands:6

Postby icemandan » Sun Aug 08, 2010 10:31 pm

The old Roman Road past Drumaldrace is a cracking run on a mountain bike.

I walked it earlier this year on a round of Semer Water starting at Bainbridge, up over Addleborough (which is a bit like a miniature Ingleborough) and then around the watershed via Yockenthwaite Moor which has good views south to Wharfedale, out to Pen-y-Ghent and Ingleborough and north to Great Shunner Fell. A bit of bog hopping took us round to the top of the Hawes-Wharfedale road and then back on the Roman Road to Bainbridge. Too tired to bother with Drumaldrace by then.
icemandan
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:26
Fionas:13   Donalds:14
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:199
Wainwrights:214   Islands:33

Postby colgregg » Mon Aug 09, 2010 12:25 am

Bog hoppings about right, Ice. Much as I love the dales (my home ground) a lot of the high ground is one large bog with the water just lying there with nowhere to go. You'll have cut across Fleet moss to get to the Roman road. Fleet Moss is not a pretty sight!!
colgregg
Munro compleatist

Munros:15   Corbetts:5
Fionas:5   
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:181
Wainwrights:214   

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Outside Scotland