walkhighlands

This board helps you to share your walking route experiences in England and Wales... or overseas.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Wasdale Twin Giants - part 1

Wasdale Twin Giants - part 1

Postby HalfManHalfTitanium » Wed Jun 08, 2016 6:25 pm

Wainwrights included on this walk: Pillar, Red Pike (Wasdale), Scoat Fell

Hewitts included on this walk: Pillar, Red Pike (Wasdale), Scoat Fell

Date walked: 25/01/2009

4 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Properly, this should be called Wasdale Triplets, as on this visit I did three walks. The middle day was Scafell Pike the long way round via Esk Hause: snow (very deep in places), blizzards, zero visibility all the way, and much use of map and compass!

So no photos of that walk... however, the first and third days yielded some great scenes. This one is Pillar and the Mosedale circuit (minus Yewbarrow): the other will be a straight-up-the-nose ascent of Great Gable, followed by the Wasdale Duffer, Kirkfell.

I was staying at the charming B&B at Burnthwaite Farm. Wasdale is one of my favourite places in the whole world, and I'd come here for three quiet days in January to enjoy the solitude and think through some key decisions. Should I put career first, or work-life balance? Challenge and greater financial prosperity, or "spending more time with my family" (as they always say when a dodgy politician resigns.) The three days helped me put things in perspective.

The first day dawned bright and clear, and the Mosedale Horseshoe beckoned in the sunshine...

ImageIMG_4839 by Half Man Half Titanium, on Flickr

I followed the familiar track up to Gatherstone Head. From a wayside boulder I noticed tiny wisps of cloud appearing on the summits. Hmm.

ImageIMG_4847 by Half Man Half Titanium, on Flickr

The beck gave me an atmospheric view back to Yewbarrow.

ImageIMG_4850 by Half Man Half Titanium, on Flickr

There was snow on Black Sail Pass, with the beetling crags of Kirkfell towering above.

ImageIMG_4857 by Half Man Half Titanium, on Flickr

And the pass also gave a good view of Yewbarrow, Seatallan and Red Pike.

ImageIMG_4858 by Half Man Half Titanium, on Flickr

Grasmoor, Wandope and Eel Crag in the distance

ImageIMG_4862 by Half Man Half Titanium, on Flickr

On up the ridge! Here's Red Pike and Pillar from near Looking Stead

ImageIMG_4866 by Half Man Half Titanium, on Flickr

The High Stile range, with the Grasmoor group beyond

ImageIMG_4867 by Half Man Half Titanium, on Flickr

Close-up of Grasmoor & Co, over the ridge of Seat

ImageIMG_4870 by Half Man Half Titanium, on Flickr

As I got higher on the ridge, the snow cover got deeper and more extensive. Here I'm looking down towards Scarth Gap, with Robinson above it, and Hindscarth (looking higher and further away than it actually is) over on the right.

ImageIMG_4871 by Half Man Half Titanium, on Flickr

Looking back down the ridge with a skyline of Grey Knotts, Brandreth and Green Gable. Gable Crag, of course, on the far right.

ImageIMG_4872 by Half Man Half Titanium, on Flickr

The light was very different looking over to my left - clouds had gathered above Wasdale.

ImageIMG_4873 by Half Man Half Titanium, on Flickr

A distant view across to the Dodds-Helvellyn skyline

ImageIMG_4880 by Half Man Half Titanium, on Flickr

On the map this spot is marked as Great Doup. I have no idea what a Doup is, but if it means a massive chasm, then the place is well named.

ImageIMG_4888 by Half Man Half Titanium, on Flickr

The ridge ahead

ImageIMG_4889 by Half Man Half Titanium, on Flickr

Another Doupy view

ImageIMG_4890 by Half Man Half Titanium, on Flickr

Cornicing near the summit

ImageIMG_4897 by Half Man Half Titanium, on Flickr

The trig, looking icy

ImageIMG_4894 by Half Man Half Titanium, on Flickr

More iciness

ImageIMG_4892 by Half Man Half Titanium, on Flickr

It was compulsory to go over and look down on Pillar Rock

ImageIMG_4896 by Half Man Half Titanium, on Flickr

A sudden gap in the clouds and a glimpse of Ennerdale oops almost typed Emmerdale

ImageIMG_4899 by Half Man Half Titanium, on Flickr

Another gulf-like gully. I have to confess I can't remember exactly where this was - maybe on Black Crag.

ImageIMG_4905 by Half Man Half Titanium, on Flickr

Another gap in the clouds gave a view of Red Pike

ImageIMG_4911 by Half Man Half Titanium, on Flickr

And suddenly there was a revelation - Steeple, and Ennerdale Water in the distance.

ImageIMG_4913 by Half Man Half Titanium, on Flickr

Blue sky!

ImageIMG_4916 by Half Man Half Titanium, on Flickr

Steeple in Portrait format

ImageIMG_4918 by Half Man Half Titanium, on Flickr

Here's the ridge from Scoat Fell to Steeple. I wondered about having a go at this, as a there-and-back detour - but the clouds enveloped me again, accompanied by horizontal snow and a howling gale. I think the technical term is "hoolie". So I thought best to leave Steeple for another day.

ImageIMG_4920 by Half Man Half Titanium, on Flickr

After that it was a whirling whiteout all the way to Red Pike. Just beyond the summit I had a brief backwards view. The flanks of Scoat Fell can be seen on the right.

ImageIMG_4928 by Half Man Half Titanium, on Flickr

The Chair

ImageIMG_4929 by Half Man Half Titanium, on Flickr

More whiteout... the clouds finally began clearing as I descended Dore Head, giving me a glimpse of the Scafells

ImageIMG_4933 by Half Man Half Titanium, on Flickr

Peaceful evening skies above Yewbarrow... you'd be forgiven for thinking that it had been a nice calm day.

ImageIMG_4934 by Half Man Half Titanium, on Flickr

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

HalfManHalfTitanium
Mountain Walker

Munros:119   Corbetts:28
Fionas:6   Donalds:6
Hewitts:152
Wainwrights:103   

Re: Wasdale Twin Giants - part 1

Postby ChrisW » Sun Jun 12, 2016 6:11 am

Well this took a while to write up HMHT :lol: Worth the wait though, it's so nice to see the winter tops out of season so to speak. I looked up Doup, it's an old norse word for "bottom, end or butt of something (or buttocks) so make of that what you will :lol: :lol:
ChrisW
Rambler

Munros:18   Corbetts:5
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:6   

Postby simon-b » Sun Jun 12, 2016 9:27 am

Great mountains, HMHT. It nice to see retrospective reports like this now and again. 2009 was an inspirational year for more than one of us. In Pam(fox)'s Nab to Beda Fell report, she mentions the view from Brock Crags of the horseshoe around Hartsop which we did in September 2009, and first got her into proper hillwalking. And it was climbing Pillar in April that year that got me right back into it. So we can both understand how those memories from seven years ago last, well enough to write a report!

You got spectacular views that day, coming in and out of the clouds. A nice time of year to be around Wasdale Head, although you need a torch to get to the pub and badk from Burnthwaite farm at the end of the day :D
simon-b
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:30
Fionas:7   Donalds:12
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:155
Wainwrights:214   Islands:4

Postby HalfManHalfTitanium » Sun Jun 12, 2016 7:54 pm

ChrisW wrote:Well this took a while to write up HMHT :lol: Worth the wait though, it's so nice to see the winter tops out of season so to speak. I looked up Doup, it's an old norse word for "bottom, end or butt of something (or buttocks) so make of that what you will :lol: :lol:

cheers Chris, and thanks for the info! I will know next time I go up the Great Doup :shock:
HalfManHalfTitanium
Mountain Walker

Postby HalfManHalfTitanium » Mon Jun 13, 2016 1:54 pm

simon-b wrote:Great mountains, HMHT. It nice to see retrospective reports like this now and again. 2009 was an inspirational year for more than one of us. In Pam(fox)'s Nab to Beda Fell report, she mentions the view from Brock Crags of the horseshoe around Hartsop which we did in September 2009, and first got her into proper hillwalking. And it was climbing Pillar in April that year that got me right back into it. So we can both understand how those memories from seven years ago last, well enough to write a report!

You got spectacular views that day, coming in and out of the clouds. A nice time of year to be around Wasdale Head, although you need a torch to get to the pub and badk from Burnthwaite farm at the end of the day :D

Thanks!

I agree re the torch. Nice beer and food though!

I saw literally no-one in the three days, except my landlord at Burnthwaite and the barman at the pub. I was glad the Inn was open despite there being no other customers. Even the summit of Gable was utterly deserted - on a perfect day!

Yes I really enjoyed the Beda fell report - a favourite area of mine. I especially recall walking up there years ago on a sunny April day with my wife - from daffodils in Martindale to snow on the Angletarn Pikes!

Tim
HalfManHalfTitanium
Mountain Walker

4 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Outside Scotland