walkhighlands

This board helps you to share your walking route experiences in England and Wales... or overseas.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Moro Rock, Sequoia National Park, Ca, USA - 21/10/09

Moro Rock, Sequoia National Park, Ca, USA - 21/10/09

Postby M4RTIN » Mon Jul 18, 2016 10:23 pm

Date walked: 21/10/2009

Time taken: 1

Distance: 2 km

Ascent: 75m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

=
During our trip to California at the end of October this year, Jessica & I left Chase with Jessica's parents and we took off for a few days up to The Sequoia's.
I'd never been before and really wanted to see the "Big Trees"

We stayed in Three Rivers just outside Sequoia National Park and we only had one full day to see as much as we could.
We arrived on the Wednesday, late in the afternoon, and drove as far as The Giant Forest visitors centre to get a first look at these massive trees. It was very impressive. Daylight goes in minutes so we didn't get more than half an hour to have a look around.

We started off early on Thursday morning (29th) and stopped off at the main visitors centre to pick up some maps and get an idea of the best sites to see and the times we would need to see them. The big trees were further into the park, but Moro Rock was fairly close by so we decided to go climb it. (I use that term loosely)

01. Moro Rock - Taken from the road about 1500ft below the summit.jpg
01. Moro Rock - Taken from the road about 1500ft below the summit.

Moro Rock is a granite dome with a 400-step stairway to the 6725ft summit. The stairway starts only 300ft below the summit, so to say we climbed it is being very generous. Was more like a short stroll after my long day on Ben Bhuidhe, 2 weeks earlier.

We followed the road through the forest to the start of the stairway, where only a couple of cars were parked. We started off up the steps about 10:00. We stopped about halfway up to take a few pictures and to allow someone ahead of us to finish taking his own pictures on his way back down.

02. Moro Rock - Halfway up, looking across The Great Western Divide to 12,000ft peaks.jpg
02. Moro Rock - Halfway up, looking across The Great Western Divide to 12,000ft peaks.

As we passed the guy making his way down, we exchanged the usual niceties, only to be completely confused by his very strange accent and dialect. We asked him where he was from and low and behold; there were 2 Glaswegians on Moro Rock that day. We pop up everywhere, us Scots!
We had a brief chat and continued on our way, reaching the summit not long after. Jessica was very glad of the handrails, her legs went a bit wobbly for a while, but with thousands of feet drops all around, it was understandable.

03. Moro Rock - Staircase Path approaching the summit.jpg
03. Moro Rock - Staircase Path approaching the summit.

When we reached The Summit we were the only ones there and the views were incredible. We got about 5 minutes alone on The Summit until we heard, again in a distinctly Glaswegian accent, "I thought i'd come back up to huv ma photae taken."

This worked well for us, I used his wide lensed, DSLR to take his pictures, and he used my lowly point & shoot to take ours. The results aren't too bad, though I must admit that I was a little jealous of his Nikon.
The rest of our pictures don't need any comments from me, except to say that the yellow box in the next one is where we took the first picture from, about 1500ft below the summit.

04. Moro Rock - Views down The Great Western Divide from the summit.jpg
04. Moro Rock - Views down The Great Western Divide from the summit.

05. Moro Rock - Jessica & Myself on the summit.jpg
05. Moro Rock - Jessica & Myself on the summit.

06. Moro Rock - Me, officially recorded at 6725ft - I won't beat this in Scotland.jpg
06. Moro Rock - Me, officially recorded at 6725ft - I won't beat this in Scotland.

This was a great start to an amazing day, which Jessica summed up perfectly...
"And People Say God Doesn't Exist" :-?
Last edited by M4RTIN on Tue Dec 05, 2017 3:05 pm, edited 6 times in total.
M4RTIN
Mountain Walker

Munros:125   Corbetts:6
Sub 2000:1   
Islands:10

Re: Moro Rock, Sequoia National Park, California, USA - 21/1

Postby ChrisW » Tue Jul 19, 2016 9:16 pm

I love those giant sequoias Martin, I've been down to California several times to explore them but never made my way up this lump of granite :crazy: It never ceases to amaze me how often I meet my fellow countrymen in the most remote places, your chance encounter with the only guy on the rock seems to sum that up perfectly :clap:
ChrisW
Rambler

Munros:18   Corbetts:5
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:6   

Postby Mal Grey » Wed Jul 20, 2016 10:32 am

Nice one. Went up Moro rock in 1996 (I think), whilst touring he Sierra Nevada. Really enjoyed Sequoia NP, had some great forest walks too, those trees are simply amazing.
Mal Grey
Wanderer

Munros:113   Corbetts:23
Fionas:12   
Sub 2000:9   Hewitts:116
Wainwrights:71   Islands:6
Location: Surrey, probably in a canoe! www.wildernessisastateofmind.co.uk

Postby john923 » Wed Jul 20, 2016 8:06 pm

I knew that name was familiar and, yes, we were there 14 Aug 1999 after doing a not dissimilar lump on the Little Baldy Trail. It's a great viewpoint, though I recall American folks who were there at the same time using the words 'Awesome' and 'Cool' like they were going out of fashion! :lol:
john923

Munros:16   Corbetts:10
Fionas:6   Donalds:11
Sub 2000:17   Hewitts:237
Wainwrights:187   Islands:5

Postby M4RTIN » Thu Aug 04, 2016 2:05 pm

ChrisW wrote:I love those giant sequoias Martin, I've been down to California several times to explore them but never made my way up this lump of granite :crazy: It never ceases to amaze me how often I meet my fellow countrymen in the most remote places, your chance encounter with the only guy on the rock seems to sum that up perfectly :clap:

Turned out, he actually grew up less than 10 miles away from my own family on the outskirts of Glasgow.
I blame John Muir :wink:
M4RTIN
Mountain Walker

Munros:125   Corbetts:6
Sub 2000:1   
Islands:10

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Outside Scotland