walkhighlands

This board helps you to share your walking route experiences in England and Wales... or overseas.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

High Cup Nick

High Cup Nick

Postby made in Scotland » Mon Jul 25, 2016 12:32 am

Date walked: 02/05/2016

3 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

I've wanted to have a look at High Cup Nick for a while and the bank holiday weekend seemed like a good time as the Lake District would probably be busy. Turned out to be a good choice as there had been a lot of rain the day before and the waterfalls were impressive.

Looked like it might rain a bit more as we set off up the path from Dufton.
High Cup Nick 1.jpg
Believe it or not we never got wet in spite of that looming black cloud.

High Cup Nick 3.jpg
The path is very clear to follow on this side - first view of what we had come to see.

High Cup Nick 2.jpg
First good view of the whole thing - picture doesn't really do it justice.

High Cup Nick 4.jpg
The waterfall here started above the path, went right over it at quite a speed, and then disappeared over the edge. Took a few minutes to decide where to cross it, it was a very long way down once it went over the edge!

High Cup Nick 5.jpg
View down the valley. Next time I would walk down here on the way back rather than walking right round the outside.

High Cup Nick 6.jpg
View up toward the head of the valley.

High Cup Nick 7.jpg
Close up of the rock formations.

High Cup Nick 8.jpg
Another view down the valley.

High Cup Nick 9.jpg
View of the water going over the edge from the very head of the valley. The waterfall was blowing backwards up the hill here and we got soaked passing through it!

High Cup Nick 10.jpg
Looking back at where we had been from the other side.

High Cup Nick 11.jpg
One of the biggest waterfalls. This is the one we had to walk through the top of - now viewed from the other side. It's a long way down!

The path on this side moves away from the edge of the valley about half way along and eventually brings you back out to the road with quite a long road walk back to Dufton. Next time I would go down the centre of the valley once I reached the top,. I think we chose a good day following all the rain as the waterfalls were in full flow. Only saw one other couple all day - not bad for a bank holiday walk!
made in Scotland
Mountaineer

Munros:1   Corbetts:1
Fionas:2   
Hewitts:80
Wainwrights:140   

Re: High Cup Nick

Postby ChrisW » Mon Jul 25, 2016 6:32 am

Great choice for a bank holiday walk by the look of it MIS, fantastic rock band along that valley top and as you say, perfect timing for the waterfalls. :clap:
ChrisW
Rambler

Munros:18   Corbetts:5
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:6   

Postby Nigels3011 » Mon Jul 25, 2016 1:32 pm

Some nice pictures there. I think High Cup Nick is one of this countries hidden gems. I remember the awe of coming upon on it when I did the Pennine Way. An amazing place.
Nigels3011
Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:9
Fionas:6   
Hewitts:45
Wainwrights:37   Islands:3

Postby trailmasher » Tue Jul 26, 2016 5:19 pm

Great report and pics :clap: a short easy scramble down over the rocks leads to a good valley bottom path and then you realise just how big this hole is 8)
trailmasher
Mountaineer

Munros:13   
Hewitts:179
Wainwrights:214   

Postby past my sell by date » Wed Jul 27, 2016 5:58 pm

Great pictures of this spendid place :clap: :clap: - I've done it a few times and found the curiously named Harbour flatts is the best starting point. Coming down the North side leg you head right at some point and go past the "winery"
past my sell by date
Mountaineer

Munros:282   Corbetts:86
Fionas:27   Donalds:6
Sub 2000:8   Hewitts:146
Wainwrights:159   

3 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Outside Scotland