walkhighlands

This board helps you to share your walking route experiences in England and Wales... or overseas.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Triglav, Slovenia

Triglav, Slovenia

Postby JohnJoe » Wed Aug 17, 2016 9:30 pm

Date walked: 11/08/2016

Time taken: 11.5

Distance: 15 km

Ascent: 1900m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Does a silent video count as a walk report? One advantage is that no description of weather developments is needed, which although so important for the person doing the walk is perhaps a bit tedious for a third party to read through at home. But I should mention that I forgot to take gloves on this trip so my hands were freezing up there!

Anyway, here is a short video of my climb up Triglav, Slovenia's highest peak. Possibly the most I've ever ascended/descended in one day and certainly one of my hardest - and enjoyable - climbs.

JohnJoe
Walker

Munros:30   Corbetts:3
Fionas:4   
Sub 2000:3   Hewitts:21
Wainwrights:14   

Re: Triglav, Slovenia

Postby dav2930 » Wed Aug 17, 2016 10:03 pm

Looks a spectacular peak. Didn't realize they had via ferrata up there, but then it does look very much like the Dolomites. Quite surprising there was so much snow in August!? Good effort. :clap: :clap:
dav2930
Ambler

Munros:244   Corbetts:14
Fionas:18   Donalds:56
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:164
Wainwrights:214   Islands:2

Postby ilovescotty » Thu Aug 18, 2016 9:32 am

Terrifying stuff! I'm going to Slovenia 1st week of October, but I don't think I will be attempting this one as I am a wimp. Did you do any other trails around the area and if so, any to recommend? Staying in Bohinski Bistrica.
ilovescotty
Munro compleatist

Munros:5   Corbetts:1
Hewitts:2

Postby JohnJoe » Thu Aug 18, 2016 8:48 pm

Yes it's just like the Dolomites, reminded me of them a lot. I was surprised to find all that snow, although it rained all day in the valley the day before so it shouldn't have come as a shock to find fresh snow 2000m further up!

As far as other routes go, I did one other via ferrata (up Mala Mojstrovka) and also a walk up the Vrata valley from the village of Mojstrana. This was a nice easy walk, 20k there and back but very little ascent. We only spent one night in the Bohinj area but wish it could have been more. You will definitely find many great walks there! There were loads in the cicerone guide which I just didn't have time to do.
JohnJoe
Walker

Munros:30   Corbetts:3
Fionas:4   
Sub 2000:3   Hewitts:21
Wainwrights:14   

Postby simon-b » Sun Aug 21, 2016 3:07 pm

Great video, fine mountain. Slovenia looks appealing.
simon-b
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:30
Fionas:7   Donalds:12
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:155
Wainwrights:214   Islands:4

Postby ChrisW » Mon Aug 22, 2016 5:14 am

Spectacular looking scenery JJ, I've done the old 'forgotten gloves' thing myself and there's no joy in that, but it must have been eased by that fantastic summit ridge walk and reaching the top all alone....fantastic :clap: :clap:
ChrisW
Rambler

Munros:18   Corbetts:5
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:6   

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Outside Scotland