walkhighlands

This board helps you to share your walking route experiences in England and Wales... or overseas.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

A lovely day around Ennerdale.

A lovely day around Ennerdale.

Postby mamoset » Sat Aug 20, 2016 7:26 pm

Wainwrights included on this walk: Caw Fell, Crag Fell, Grike, Haycock, Lank Rigg

Hewitts included on this walk: Haycock

Date walked: 16/08/2016

Time taken: 6.8

Distance: 26 km

Ascent: 1300m

3 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Arrived at Bleach Green car park just past Ennerdale Bridge in glorious sunshine, ready for a direct walk up to Haycock, then heading to take in 3 of the remaining 6 Wainwrights I have left to do to complete my second round. :shock: With sun cream on, I set off along the lakeside path for the stroll along Ennerdale Water.
IMG_9363-001.JPG
Looking up Ennerdale from start of walk.
IMG_9368-001.JPG
Bowness Knott losing it's trees.
It's a well constructed path and in no time at all I was ready to turn off over the bridge near Char Dub and head into the hills.
IMG_9367-001.JPG
My route up was the heathery bank in the middle.
IMG_9366-001.JPG
Crag Fell, my route down was the gully in the middle.
I followed Silvercove Beck up until the trees and the path ended, which meant I had to go straight up onto the heather bank via 7ft ferns and dry as sticks heather :shock: I finally came across the path and from there on, it was just a hot climb to the top. :roll:
IMG_9374-001.JPG
Great Borne & Starling Dodd across Ennerdale.
As you exit at the top of the bank, the way on to Haycock is obvious.
IMG_9382-001.JPG
Little Gowder Crag, then Haycock.
I ignored Little Gowder Crag on the way up, but did go over it on the way back down :lol:
IMG_9385-001.JPG
Haycock summit.
IMG_9387-001.JPG
On to Scoat Fell & Steeple.
Leaving Haycock, it's a quick and easy mile or so to Caw Fell.
IMG_9390-001.JPG
Caw Fell summit.
With no reason to loiter, I headed for the wall, and then followed the path for the long walk round Ennerdale Fell, heading for Whoap and Lank Rigg.
IMG_9394-001.JPG
Lank Rigg & Whoap.
Also in view from here is Grike and Crag Fell, looking markedly different from last time I was here, when there was plenty of trees on show :shock:
IMG_9395-001.JPG
Grike & Crag Fell.
IMG_9397-001.JPG
Back across Ennerdale Fell to a distant Haycock.
After much chuntering about not being impressed with grassy mounds, I found myself at the summit of Lank Rigg :?
IMG_9400-001.JPG
Lank Rigg summit.
IMG_9403-001.JPG
Grasmoor pops up between Great Borne & Starling Dodd.
IMG_9406-001.JPG
Heather in bloom across to Great Borne.
After having lunch, I made for the last two tops of the day. Grike is easily accessed along an old forestry track, where a surprisingly large cairn and tumulus await you.
IMG_9411-001.JPG
Grike summit.
IMG_9413-001.JPG
Across to Blake Fell.
A slightly boggy path leads you from here, over and on to Crag Fell.
IMG_9422-001.JPG
Crag Fell summit.
The views of Pillar up Ennerdale are always a joy, I think it is a real picturesque mountain.
IMG_9424-001.JPG
Pillar from Crag Fell.
Crag Fell is a good viewpoint on a day like today, with the High Stile ridge looking particularly inviting 8)
IMG_9430-001.JPG
Great Borne to High Stile over Ennerdale Water.
I came down the front of Crag Fell before heading for Anglers Crag, where I got a last shot looking into Ennerdale.
IMG_9435-001.JPG
Ennerdale.
So, after ticking of these fells again, it's just trying to now find the time to get round to Hard Knott and co for end of round 2!!!! :shock: :lol:
mamoset
Mountain Walker

Munros:256   Corbetts:6
Donalds:1
Hewitts:115
Wainwrights:214   Islands:5

Re: A lovely day around Ennerdale.

Postby simon-b » Sun Aug 21, 2016 10:43 am

That's a nice way up Haycock, Mamoset. The Ennerdale Water car parks make Caw Fell feel a lot less remote than as described by Wainwright.
simon-b
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:30
Fionas:7   Donalds:12
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:155
Wainwrights:214   Islands:4

Postby mamoset » Sun Aug 21, 2016 3:48 pm

Cheers simon, you're right about the access, would be an unpleasant walk from other angles :shock: :lol:
mamoset
Mountain Walker

Postby dav2930 » Sun Aug 21, 2016 6:02 pm

Looks a nice one Mamoset. Real skylark country that. I remember feeling pretty pummelled and knackered coming down Caw Fell and over Iron Crag at the end of the Ennerdale Horseshoe on a similarly hot and sunny day some years ago. It's good to see some of the conifers being cleared from around there.
dav2930
Ambler

Munros:244   Corbetts:14
Fionas:18   Donalds:56
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:164
Wainwrights:214   Islands:2

Postby mamoset » Sun Aug 21, 2016 7:18 pm

Haha, good point about the Skylarks dav, I did notice quite a few myself. The walk across Ennerdale Fell seems to go on forever, at least it was dry under foot :clap:
mamoset
Mountain Walker

Postby ChrisW » Mon Aug 22, 2016 5:26 am

What a lovely way to spend a day Mamoset, Ennerdale is such a picturesque spot, almost a 2 rounds...what are you going to do then :crazy:
ChrisW
Rambler

Munros:18   Corbetts:5
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:6   

Postby mamoset » Mon Aug 22, 2016 6:55 pm

ChrisW wrote:What a lovely way to spend a day Mamoset, Ennerdale is such a picturesque spot, almost a 2 rounds...what are you going to do then :crazy:

Hi Chris, you're right about Ennerdale, it is a great spot, especially on days like this. As for what to do next, the beauty of hill walking is that there is so many different ways to tackle them, you can never be bored. Doubt I will go for round 3 though :lol: :lol: :lol:
mamoset
Mountain Walker

3 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Outside Scotland