walkhighlands

This board helps you to share your walking route experiences in England and Wales... or overseas.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Ingleborough and Moughton

Ingleborough and Moughton

Postby Broggy1 » Fri Sep 09, 2016 3:27 pm

Hewitts included on this walk: Ingleborough

Date walked: 08/09/2016

Time taken: 4

Distance: 21.3 km

Ascent: 892m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

A splendid afternoon walk taking in Ingleborough via the classic Clapham route and then an alternative descent to take in Moughton and enjoy some of the best limestone scenery in the Dales.

Murky to begin with but finally making a lovely evening. Windy though.

1 Trough Gill.JPG
Trough Gill

2 Little I.JPG
Little Ingleborough comes in view - main summit still under cloud

3 I ahead.JPG
Ingleborough from the Little Ingleborough. Summit starting to clear but very windy up here.

4 I summit area.JPG
Ingleborough summit area - the cloud seemingly sitting right above the true summit beyond the Trig Point.

I never tire of Ingleborough. It's my local "mountain" (as far as 2,000ft hills go) and there are loads of different approaches and routes to it. This one from Clapham is probably the best but they are all superb.

5 Heading for Moughton.JPG
The weather's improving now as I leave the summit via the Three Peaks route with Moughton looking a fair bit distant.

6 Limestone.JPG
Limestone takes over the scenery as I leave that route towards Thieves Moss

7 Stile.JPG
Beggar's Stile leads to Crummack Dale but I followed the rim of the limestone cliffs round to Moughton

8 Limestone towards Moughton.JPG
A world of limestone

9 Limestone Pavement.JPG
There's even more limestone pavement here than the more celebrated Malham Cove

10 Pen y ghent from Moughton.JPG
Pen y ghent from Moughton

11 Back up to Moughton.JPG
Looking back up to Moughton from Crummack Dale

12 RP Scar.JPG
The route back to Clapham takes you round Robin Proctor's Scar

13 RP Scar again.JPG
Robin Proctor's Scar again

14 More scar I distance.JPG
Ingleborough back in view over Norber
Broggy1
Mountain Walker

Munros:111   Corbetts:19
Fionas:5   Donalds:20+7
Sub 2000:8   Hewitts:274
Wainwrights:214   Islands:1

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Outside Scotland