walkhighlands

This board helps you to share your walking route experiences in England and Wales... or overseas.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Calf Top, the new Hewitt

Calf Top, the new Hewitt

Postby poppiesrara » Sun Sep 11, 2016 9:23 pm

Hewitts included on this walk: Calf Top

Date walked: 11/09/2016

Time taken: 3.5

Distance: 16.75 km

Ascent: 680m

5 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

I was planning to come to Calf Top soon enough anyway – it always looked one of the more tempting walks around the Dales – but then earlier this week Stignest alerted me to this little snippet from the BBC:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-cumbria-37289472
Well, that rather moved it up the agenda, with the help of a good forecast for today. I thought I'd climbed all the Hewitts around there, and suddenly I hadn't! It's easy to tell yourself that the 0.02 ft (or a full quarter of an inch…) by which it now apparently exceeds 2000ft shouldn't make any difference, and to be sniffy about the 'list-ticking' mentality that makes it so. But most or all of us are like that really – no-one would be visiting Armboth Fell rather than the hundreds of other nondescript rises in Lakeland bogs if Wainwright hadn't honoured it, but plenty do now… And Calf Top is far better than that.

calf top.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Barbon is a lovely village with quite a few walkers about, but not many of them are yet beating this path: the 'footpath' to Eskholme exists only on the OS map and not on the ground. But once into access land a decent grass track appears climbing up very steeply to the cairned hill above, fine views back over the Lune Valley and probably, with less haze, to the Lakes too. The next couple of miles over Castle Knott are more of a moorland trudge on a very broad ridge, but it's easy quick walking – much like the Howgills that rise nearby, generally firm grass and the wet parts sitting up as nicely obvious and avoidable puddles, bar a little stretch of proper marsh in the col. It's all much more pleasant than the neighbouring tops of Great Coum and Baugh Fell, and Calf Top itself is a fine distinct peak on the edge of the valley. Given how its new status had come about, I'd expected plenty of doubt about where the summit was, but nothing too far away from the trig seems nearly as high, and the ground a few feet the other side of the wall does actually look a little above. I plodded around there for a minute or two until fairly satisfied I'd touched that vital quarter-inch (although touching it too firmly might well knock it back under the mark!).
DSCF8947.JPG
Devil's Crag

DSCF8949.JPG
View west from Eskholme Pike

DSCF8953.JPG
Lune Valley

DSCF8955.JPG
Castle Knott

DSCF8956.JPG
Ashdale

DSCF8965.JPG
Calf Top

DSCF8971.JPG
Upper Barbondale & Dentdale

The hilltop is right on the edge of a pretty vertiginous-looking drop to Barbondale far below. While apparently navigable, it really didn't look at all appealing as a descent, and it's probably worth making a fuller walk of this, and following the flattish ridge north for a mile before trying. As you do, the views really open up to the northern Dales in a curve round from the Howgills and over Dentdale, and an easy dry and grassy descent over Combe Top is possible (cross the first stile seen at 663869, follow the wall left to the kink at 664872 and then strike out due east to reach a couple of easily-visible gates leading down to the footpath at 673870).
DSCF8978.JPG
Howgills

DSCF8983.JPG
Wild Boar & Baugh Fells

DSCF8984.JPG
The stile down, Aye Gill Pike behind

DSCF8986.JPG
Great Knoutberry Hill & Dentdale

DSCF8989.JPG
Barkin Top

Having (damply) crossed the reedy headwaters of Barkin Beck there, the stream is a constant companion for the next four miles descending gradually down Barbondale – it's fascinating to watch it turned, by countless feeders coming down the fellsides, from a sluggish marsh to a broad and fast-flowing river, with lovely cascades lower down. The road I took is pleasant walking, very quiet and broad-verged, but there looked to be a passable path on the far side of the beck as an alternative; either way, the stoned bridleway through the mixed woodlands of Barbon Park and alongside the best parts of the river is definitely the right finish.
DSCF8991.JPG
Calf Top from Barbondale

DSCF8995.JPG

DSCF9004.JPG
Calf Top over Barkin Beck

DSCF9005.JPG
Blindbeck Bridge (new, replacing one destroyed in Storm Desmond)

DSCF9006.JPG

DSCF9009.JPG

DSCF9012.JPG
St Bartholomew's Church, Barbon

A really good Dales Walk, Hewitt or not, and even if they re-measure it next week a different way at least I can always say that I climbed it while it was a 'mountain'...
Last edited by poppiesrara on Thu Sep 15, 2016 8:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
poppiesrara
Walker

Munros:4   Corbetts:2
Donalds:1
Hewitts:315
Wainwrights:214   

Re: Calf Top, the new Hewitt

Postby johnkaysleftleg » Mon Sep 12, 2016 8:40 am

Weird thing is I just opened my British Hills App following an update and saw Calf Top in the Hewitts list, I thought it was a mistake to be honest. I then came on here and saw your report.
It does look like a very welcome addition to the Hewitts however even if it is by the smallest of margins, a fine report of what looks to be a fine hill.
johnkaysleftleg
Hill Bagger

Munros:25   Corbetts:11
Fionas:11   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:7   Hewitts:172
Wainwrights:214   Islands:8

Postby Broggy1 » Mon Sep 12, 2016 9:54 am

I didn't know about this poppies! :clap:

I loved Calf Top when I did it (like you say very Howgillesque) and I'm glad it's got the recognition it needed - although I always feel for anybody who completes a list only to have a new top added - particularly if they can't walk anymore. I guess the list is the list while you are walking and you can't worry about things being added later?

The drop down into Barbondale is indeed very steep as you say!
Broggy1
Mountain Walker

Munros:111   Corbetts:19
Fionas:5   Donalds:20+7
Sub 2000:8   Hewitts:274
Wainwrights:214   Islands:1

Postby ChrisW » Tue Sep 13, 2016 5:46 pm

I would have missed that news without your post P :thumbup: This really looks like one I would enjoy too, this kind of open rolling countryside always was my favourite. Beautiful pics that just make me want to add that hill to my list irrespective of status :clap:
ChrisW
Rambler

Munros:18   Corbetts:5
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:6   

Postby trailmasher » Thu Sep 15, 2016 8:43 pm

Damned decent report and photos poppiesrara :clap: I also saw it on the news and is now on my list of to do's :) Looks like some books will have to be re-written now :lol: and maybe sooner before a good track is beaten to the summit 8)
trailmasher
Mountaineer

Munros:13   
Hewitts:179

Postby stig_nest » Mon Sep 19, 2016 9:37 pm

Another great report Pop, always a good read and well composed photos.

I'm glad you got up there and you've confirmed what we both suspected that Calf Top would be a worthy outing. I will hopefully find myself up there by the end of the year.

I've tried to make a habit of planning in any marginal tops whilst on my travels just in case they do get bumped up. They're invariably on another list so they all count!

I look forward to your next report. :clap:
stig_nest
Munro compleatist

Munros:26   Corbetts:9
Fionas:8   
Sub 2000:8   Hewitts:316

Postby john923 » Wed Sep 21, 2016 1:03 pm

Ha, I'd spotted the Calf Top's uprating on hill-bagging the other day so I wondered which of the usual suspects would post the first report. :lol: Thankfully, it looks a very worthy hill from your photos - an excellent report and another possible outing for when we head up that way in three weeks time. Cheers.
john923

Munros:16   Corbetts:10
Fionas:6   Donalds:11
Sub 2000:17   Hewitts:237
Wainwrights:187   Islands:5

5 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Outside Scotland