walkhighlands

This board helps you to share your walking route experiences in England and Wales... or overseas.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Thieveley Pike and Hoof Stones Height (Black Hameldon)

Thieveley Pike and Hoof Stones Height (Black Hameldon)

Postby Broggy1 » Mon Sep 19, 2016 9:55 am

Date walked: 18/09/2016

Time taken: 3.2

Distance: 18.3 km

Ascent: 708m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Only had the morning to spare for the fells so a quick dash to the West and South Pennines to take in two prominent summits there.

The steep sided valley leading to Todmorden is an interesting one and Thieveley Pike itself is very good from here - steep, well pathed, good views - and would make a fine short walk. Early morning valley mist promised potential inversion weather (pea soup setting off but I knew from the drive in there was blue sky around).

Mist was lingering further along the ridge near Heald Moor and it looked like an inversion was developing on Thieveley Pike so I turned around on the ridge (abandoning plans for a circular walk in favour of two "there and backs" to catch it - well worth it if not the best inversion I've ever seen.

The climb up the other side was not as good - farm tracks, wind turbines and a long road stretch before a very wet, rough and unpleasant climb up to Hoof Stones Height - the high point on Black Hameldon.

An area I intend to give a bit more attention to - particularly in winter.

Pics....

1 Pennine Bridleway out of Holme Chapel.JPG
Good Pennine Bridleway out of Holme Chapel

2 above the cloud alreadt to Pendle Hill.JPG
Above the cloud already looking to Pendle Hill

3 Trig in mist.JPG
Although the Trig on Thieveley Pike had yet to clear

4 Back at Trig above cloud.JPG
Back at the Trig.

Half way along the ridge to Heald Moor I could tell that it was clearing behind me and with the ridge ahead still in cloud - I changed my route to enjoy the best of the conditions.

5 East to BH.JPG
East over the clouds to Hoof Stones Height

6 More inversion.JPG
Above the clouds

7 MI.JPG
Fascinating conditions

8 MI.JPG
Once above the clouds it was very warm again

9 Other side back over to Thieveley.JPG
After dropping back into the mist in Holme Chapel, I headed up the Bridleway on the other side of the valley.

The cloud was now beginning to shift all together on Thieveley Pike

10 Road stretch summit in view.JPG
On the lengthy road stretch above Coal Clough Wind Farm - summit of Hoof Stones Height in view

11 Wind Farm with cloud buildup behin.JPG
The valley cloud is still built up South of the Wind Farm

12 Rough going.JPG
Rough going now on route to Hoof Stones Height

13 BH Trig.JPG
Hoof Stones Height Trig - the summit of Black Hameldon. Looking over towards Boulsworth Hill - the highest of the South Pennines

14 On descent over Wind Farm to TP.JPG
Descending back to Stiperden Barn House and looking over the Wind Farm to Thieveley Pike

15 Wind Farm track.JPG
On the Wind Farm track as an alternative descent

16 TP Cliffs.JPG
Thieveley Pike has a striking Eastern side

17 Descent.JPG
Rural descent - not quite as clear as it looks on the map and I ended up going a bit far and ending up back in Holme Chapel.
Broggy1
Mountain Walker

Munros:111   Corbetts:19
Fionas:5   Donalds:20+7
Sub 2000:8   Hewitts:274
Wainwrights:214   Islands:1

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Outside Scotland