walkhighlands

This board helps you to share your walking route experiences in England and Wales... or overseas.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

A Keswick Coffee Stroll

A Keswick Coffee Stroll

Postby The English Alpinist » Mon Oct 10, 2016 8:56 pm

Date walked: 09/10/2016

Time taken: 1

Distance: 5.66 km

Ascent: 137m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

1 Vale.JPG
The Vale of Keswick.

After much deliberation on what walk to do in the Lakes this week, I decided to do none at all. I was in the mood for just chilling out and enjoying the area. Keswick has become a kind of second home at the moment, a place of pilgrimage for the weekend. After a visit to St John's in the Vale in the morning, I parked up at Castlerigg Stone Circle and strolled into town from there (good way to save on parking charges). A walk of half an hour, more meriting of the epithet 'English Tourist' than 'English Alpinist'. It was a touch more strenuous on the way back, though, all uphill. Returning at 6.30pm, the circle had an amazing atmosphere at sunset on this, another day of Indian summer in October. It's hard to say if this was more therapeutic than sitting outside Costa with the sun on my face, reading a newspaper and watching the world go by. Late afternoon even brought a rainbow, I could ask for nothing more (although a lottery win would ease a few worries).

2 Latrigg.JPG
Latrigg, Wainwright no.1 on my campaign to do them all last winter.

3 Costa.JPG
The limits of today's ambitions.

4 Rainbow.JPG
Keswick fire station found at end of the rainbow.

5 Grisedale.jpg
Grisedale Pike on horizon.

6 signpost.jpg
Direction finding was easy.

7 Blencathra.JPG
The great Blencathra.

8 icons.JPG
3 icons of the Lake District in the same photo: Blencathra, sheep and a dry stone wall.

9 Skiddaw.jpg
Skiddaw behind Castlerigg Stone Circle.

10 Blea Rigg.JPG
Blea Rigg (my Wainwright no.214) behind Castlerigg Stone Circle.

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

12 circle.jpg
Paganism is strong here.
The English Alpinist
Mountain Walker

Munros:56   Corbetts:11
Fionas:22   Donalds:18+10
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:136
Wainwrights:214   

Re: A Keswick Coffee Stroll

Postby ChrisW » Fri Oct 14, 2016 6:27 pm

Keswick has a draw all of it's own TEA, and why not enjoy it for what it is :thumbup: Nice sunset over Grisedale Pike and better enjoyed with little effort I reckon :wink:
ChrisW
Rambler

Munros:18   Corbetts:5
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:6   

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Outside Scotland