walkhighlands

This board helps you to share your walking route experiences in England and Wales... or overseas.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

WETTON - PEAK DISTRICT - MANIFOLD - THOR'S CAVE

WETTON - PEAK DISTRICT - MANIFOLD - THOR'S CAVE

Postby susanmyatt » Sat Aug 21, 2010 12:26 pm

Date walked: 19/08/2010

Distance: 10 km

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Hi, was out last week with the thursday walkers as I'm still off on school hols. We parked up at Wetton to the east of Leek.

wetton.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

It was quite a pleasant day and passed some interesting places, including Thor's Cave
IMG_4310.jpg
IMG_4316.jpg
Thor's Cave
IMG_4319.jpg
Looking back to cave
We saw Peregrine Falcons at two places on our walk but they are difficult with a compact camera to photograph at distance, with a bit of photo messing about you can just make him out one third down the picture dead centre
new.jpg
Peregrine Falcon
IMG_4328.jpg
IMG_4330.jpg
We came to an old tin mine that someone had broken into and then there was the castle style ex-owners house
IMG_4333.jpg
tin mine
IMG_4336.jpg
Once belonged to owner of mine
IMG_4343.jpg
Spectacular styling
IMG_4344.jpg
Hello
IMG_4347.jpg
A lovely walk, next outing is saturday with a trip to the Berwyns, take care, Sue :D
susanmyatt
Munro compleatist

Hewitts:94
Wainwrights:141   

Re: WETTON - PEAK DISTRICT - MANIFOLD - THOR'S CAVE

Postby icemandan » Sat Aug 21, 2010 8:18 pm

The Manifold Valley railway must have been a nice trip
icemandan
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:26
Fionas:13   Donalds:14
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:199
Wainwrights:214   Islands:33

Re: WETTON - PEAK DISTRICT - MANIFOLD - THOR'S CAVE

Postby mountain tortoise » Sat Aug 21, 2010 9:37 pm

Hi Sue
Nice to see your out and about again. The Peaks are lovely. Most take Woolie over there he would like it less peat. I am sure I have done this walk but I can not remember when. I think these school hols are getting to me I need to go back to work and wake the brain up again.
mountain tortoise
Scrambler

Munros:10   Corbetts:6
Fionas:1   
Sub 2000:17   Hewitts:56

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Outside Scotland