walkhighlands

This board helps you to share your walking route experiences in England and Wales... or overseas.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

4 Bowland Valleys

4 Bowland Valleys

Postby Broggy1 » Tue Oct 18, 2016 12:46 pm

Date walked: 17/10/2016

Time taken: 3.05

Distance: 16.5 km

Ascent: 852m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

I was working at weekend so had Monday off but that had a dodgy forecast that suggested the best weather would be locally in the afternoon.

Decided on this route which would keep me out of the wind on the whole - visiting 2 obvious valleys, two secluded side valleys and topping out twice at Fiendsdale Head and Hareden Fell.

Rain kept off and made for a pleasant afternoon wander.

1 Langden.JPG
Langden is an easily accessible valley with a good track in it's lower reaches and excellent scenery accompanied by Langden Brook.

2 Upper Langden from the higher path.JPG
The path splits and the higher path really gives you a good appreciation of the valley

3 Holdron Castle remains.JPG
You also get to see the remains of Holdron Castle. Not overly impresive but more impressive than Langden Castle which is essentially just a hut.

4 Fiendsdale.JPG
Further up Langden, the right of way enters Fiendsdale - a beautiful side valley

5 Higher up Fiendsdale.JPG
It then begins to climb up to Fiendsdale Head

6 Fiendsdale Head looking to Wolf Fell.JPG
Fiendsdale Head looking over to Wolf (Fairsnape Fell). It's quite practical to continue there from here but the going is boggy and rough and there are far better ways to reach that hill from the South and West.

7 Eastern Bowland as I return.JPG
So it was back down on the good path (paved at this point) with Eastern Bowland in view

8 Down Fiendsdale.JPG
Heading down Fiendsdale

9 Heading into Bleadale.JPG
After heading back to Langden I turned off into Bleadale.

There is a path underfoot but this involves two significant stream crossings (Langden Brook and Bleadale Water) and may not always be possible.

10 Back down Bleadale as I climb Hareden Fell.JPG
Looking back down lower Bleadale as I climb out of the valley on to Hareden Fell.

Bleadale is very beautiful and feels pretty wild. It's upper reaches which merge into the Fairsnape to Totridge ridge are exceptional by Bowland standards.

11 Grouse Buts on Harden Fell.JPG
Grouse Buts on Hareden Fell - not really a hill in it's own right

12 Totridge on the other side of Hareden.JPG
Descending steeply into Hareden to pick up a shooting track with Totridge on the other side of the valley.

This bit was quite rough and it's advisable to try and pick up the track higher up.

13 Hareden.JPG
Heading down the track into Hareden - an easy end to the afternoon.
Broggy1
Mountain Walker

Munros:111   Corbetts:19
Fionas:5   Donalds:20+7
Sub 2000:8   Hewitts:274
Wainwrights:214   Islands:1

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Outside Scotland