walkhighlands

This board helps you to share your walking route experiences in England and Wales... or overseas.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Beda Fell

Beda Fell

Postby richardkchapman » Sun Oct 30, 2016 8:14 pm

Wainwrights included on this walk: Beda Fell

Date walked: 30/10/2016

Time taken: 3.75

Distance: 7.52 km

Ascent: 367m

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Beda Fell.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

First day in the Lakes, and we are all a little unsure of what we are going to be capable of this week - so a nice gentle one to start us off.

ImageParking at Winter Crag Farm

We drove round to Howtown (we are staying near Pooley Bridge so it's not such a trek as it usually might be) and parked on the open ground near Winter Crag Farm. After a short false-start down the bridlepath to Sandwick, and falling in a hole in the path (nothing hurt except my dignity, fortunately) we set of up the path to the Winter Crag ridge.

ImageView over Ullswater from Winter Crag Ridge

When we reached the ridge there was a seat and a nice viewpoint over Ullswater.

ImageHeading up Winter Crag Ridge

The path up Winter Crag was enjoyable - gentle gradients and nice views.

ImagePrecarious tree

ImageHallin Fell from Winter Crag

Every time we turned round to look where we had come from, we got views of Hallin Fell to the north.

ImageHallin Fell and Ullswater

ImagePlace Fell

To the west, looking across Boredale, was Place Fell.

ImageTiny Tarn

The first cairn you reach near the summit is near an interesting-looking shelter (from a distance it looks like the entrance to a cave or burial mound, but at the back of the "doorway" is solid rock), and a tiny picturesque tarn.

ImageSherpherd's shelter

ImageRoundabout for dogs

The dogs seemed to enjoy playing roundabouts in the tarn.

ImageFigure on the skyline

Looking towards the summit a figure was silhouetted at the cairn. Didn't come out so well in the photo though.

ImageOn top of Beda Fell

Having hardly seen a soul up until this point, suddenly there were half a dozen or so at the summit, but they soon dispersed and we had the top to ourselves.

ImageOne Woman and her Dog

ImageTop of the Mountain treats

The dogs know the deal - when we get to a summit they get a biscuit.

ImageBedafell Knott (with Deer)

We decided that rather than head back the way we had come we would carry on down the ridge and take the path from Patterdale down to Martindale. As we approached Bedafell Knott and the turning, a group of six Red deer crossed the path ahead of us (you can barely make them out in the photo - I only had a wide angle lens...). Great to watch them leaping down the hillside.

ImageSheep and Deer in the valley

We cut across to the Patterdale-Martindale path, and found various groups of walkers standing watching events in the valley below. At first we thought it was the sheep herding that was catching everyone's interest (and it was fun to watch) but then we noticed there was also a very large - 50 or more - herd of deer moving down the valley too. Again, you can't really see them in the photos without a magnifying glass, but it was a lovely sight.

ImageSheep and Deer in the Valley

ImageThe road home

The path reached the road at Dale Head farm - from there it was another mile up the road to where we had left the car.

ImageDerelict wagon

This looked like an old railway wagon to me, but it's a long way from a railway if so!

ImageHorses on the skyline

There were deer on the skyline too, but too small in the frame for photos. Maybe I'll take a longer lens next time...

ImageThe Nab

Looking back at The Nab - a likely target for sometime later this week, though will probably choose a day when the dogs are resting...

ImageAutumn colours

Hard to do them justice in a photo, but the colours are fabulous at the moment.

ImageThe Dog in the Window

This dog was determined to bark at all passers-by - I don't THINK it was stuck...

ImageHallin Fell

A last view of Hallin fell as we approached the car.

ImageBannerdale and the Nab

And a last look back up the valley.

A nice gentle walk for our first day - off home to check that we all survived it ok and to plan something a little more energetic for tomorrow.
richardkchapman
Mountaineer

Fionas:1   
Hewitts:97
Wainwrights:213   

Re: Beda Fell

Postby ChrisW » Mon Oct 31, 2016 3:44 am

Looks like a fine wee start to me RC, you got some nice shots along the way but the winner for me by far is the 'roundabout for bogs' :lol: :lol: :lol: :clap: :clap:
ChrisW
Rambler

Munros:18   Corbetts:5
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:6   

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Outside Scotland