walkhighlands

This board helps you to share your walking route experiences in England and Wales... or overseas.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

The Nab

The Nab

Postby richardkchapman » Tue Nov 01, 2016 9:00 pm

Wainwrights included on this walk: Rest Dodd, The Nab

Hewitts included on this walk: Rest Dodd

Date walked: 01/11/2016

Time taken: 6.75

Distance: 13.1 km

Ascent: 683m

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Track_The Nab.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Plan today was to give the dogs a rest, and climb The Nab via Rest Dodd - we figured that it would be a less stressful walk without them since you are encouraged to keep dogs on leads when in the Red Deer reserve...

ImageParked at Dale Head

We made an earlyish start from Dale Head Farm, climbing up the valley route to Angle Tarn.

ImageSetting off up the valley

ImageLooking back

ImageHeck Cove

Lorraine was convinced that the shadow in Heck Cove looked like a face. I couldn't see it myself.

ImageClimbing through the Heather

ImageWaiting on a rock

The path followed a wall along the valley floor for a while, then set off steeply up the hillside. At times the path was a little vertiginous as it crossed a fairly steep hillside below Heck Crag.

ImageNarrow path

ImageBannerdale

We had our eyes peeled for deer - looks like they had their eyes peeled for us too.

ImageNosey Deer

ImageDeer on the skyline

ImageMore deer on the skyline

The ravens were having great fun above us - it looked as if they turned upside down every so often just for fun.

ImageRaven

Interesting to see a kestrel hovering from above - not the viewpoint I am used to!

ImageLooking down on a Kestrel

Near the top of the path and Thomas was complaining of a headache. I persuaded him to hold out until just over the next rise as there was a good view promised.

ImageAngle Tarn panorama

The view didn't disappoint. Wainwright recommends this path for ascent (to Angletarn Pikes) because of the delightful surprise when Angle Tarn appears, and I can certainly agree.

ImageRest Dodd

From Angle Tarn the path to Rest Dodd was well defined, though still quite a bit of climbing to be done.

ImageBannerdale

Nice views back down the valley.

ImageHayeswater

Views across to High Street and its satellites too.

ImageHelvellyn and Catstycam

And great views of the Helvellyn area. Catstycam always looks impressive from this angle.

ImageThe Nab, from Rest Dodd

After a short climb we reached the summit of Rest Dodd. Views of The Nab, and of a few scattered deer in the distance.

ImageRest Dodd summit

ImageDeer in the distance

The path down to The Nab's ridge was quite steep, but eventually we reached the wall that marks the boundary of the Red Deer reserve - a collapsed signpost announced it.

ImageMore Deer in the Distance

From the wall we could see deer in the valley below.

ImageDeer in the sunlight

ImageMore Deer

ImageStill more Deer

And as we descended we caught glimpses of deer rather closer to us on the slopes of The Nab.

ImageAlong the ridge to The Nab

The ridge to The Nab was rather boggy in places.

ImageGiant Peat Hags

Trying to detour around the bogs proved to be a mistake - much easier to just follow the path and brave the black bits (which were a lot more solid than they looked)

ImageLost in the bog

Nice views of Helvellyn area throughout.

ImageHelvellyn and Catstycam, from The Nab

At the top of The Nab, Lorraine and Thomas were disappointed to learn that there was no other way down from The Nab than to retrace our steps - but with no path listed in Wainwright or visible on the OS maps I was not confident trying to find any alternative way down, even if I had wanted to ignore the notices requesting that all access to the Nab was via Rest Dodd (which I did not). Probably the first occasion when they actually WANTED me to find a "Daddy shortcut" and I refused...

Time was getting on though - we had 4.5 miles to get home and only about 2.5 hours of daylight left.

ImageThe Nab - looking for a way down

We headed back the way we had come, cutting off the corner near the wall rather than going back to the top of Rest Dodd.

ImageLooking back at The Nab

ImagePlace Fell

Lovely light on the fells, though that also served to remind me that we were running out of light, so we had to push on.

ImageSatura Crag, Angletarn Pikes, and Helvellyn

ImagePanorama from Rest Dodd shoulder

ImageBrock Crags

ImageHayeswater

ImageWall with holes

ImageAngletarn Pikes at sunset

Nearly missed the turning at Angle Tarn - GPS saved the day.

ImageAngle Tarn at sunset

The narrow bits of the path down were just as unpleasant as they had been on the way up - if we had had more time I would have taken the alternative path down via the Beda Fell ridge. But at least we got past it before losing the light.

ImageLast light on The Nab

ImageLast light on Rest Dodd

ImageColourful Clouds

ImageLast light in Martindale

ImageThe Nab - no way down

By the time we got back to the car it was officially 15 minutes past sunset and was starting to get dark.

ImageRed Deer Reserve

The walk was rather longer and harder than I had expected - I think I underestimated the amount of ascent/descent required. But the weather was great, and the scenery most enjoyable, and we did get to see a few deer.
richardkchapman
Mountaineer

Fionas:1   
Hewitts:96
Wainwrights:212   

Re: The Nab

Postby trailmasher » Wed Nov 02, 2016 11:33 am

Good report and pics and what a great day to be out :clap: There is a good path on the west side of The Nab that can actually be seen from the way that you went up along Bannerdale but it doesn't start from the top, you have to walk down the fell for a few metres before finding it. It takes you down to Nab End from where there is a good path all the way down the ridge to the lane leading to The Bungalow.
trailmasher
Mountaineer

Munros:13   
Hewitts:179
Wainwrights:214   

Postby dav2930 » Fri Nov 04, 2016 6:52 pm

Nice report with some cracking photos - great shots of the deer and raven and kestrel! A lovely sunny day too.

Two of us went over Rest Dodd and The Nab a few days earlier (30th Oct) when it was much cloudier. After crossing The Nab's notorious peat hags (yes, it's better just forging straight across) we went straight down the north ridge which was very steep but had a path. We were aware of the deer 'conservation' area but because of our starting point and route hadn't seen any info about preferred routes etc. We could hear the stags roaring but couldn't see them. It's a fine viewpoint. :)
dav2930
Ambler

Munros:244   Corbetts:14
Fionas:18   Donalds:56
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:164
Wainwrights:214   Islands:2

Postby ChrisW » Mon Nov 07, 2016 8:53 pm

Good stuff RC, I too see the face in the shadow :wink: Love the pano of angle tarn first time around :clap:
ChrisW
Rambler

Munros:18   Corbetts:5
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:6   

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Outside Scotland