walkhighlands

This board helps you to share your walking route experiences in England and Wales... or overseas.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Swiss 4000nders 15 The Aletschhorn

Swiss 4000nders 15 The Aletschhorn

Postby past my sell by date » Mon Dec 19, 2016 5:25 pm

Date walked: 14/08/2003

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

The 4139m Aletschhorn is an isolated peak some distance away from the other Oberland 4000nders and as such quite a "prized" summit. The broad easy angled ridge which ascends from the Aletschjoch - first W to the fore summit and then S - is well seen in this zoomed view from the Schreckhorn
AL00.jpg

AL01.jpg
and this evening view from the Ober Mönchjoch hut.
There are good views of the Northern flank from any of the peaks reached from the Jungfraujoch, but this side is 1000m of steep and icy terrain, and although there are several routes from the Hollandia hut - the Hasler Rib is perhaps the best - none are easy, and I didn't consider any of them.
AL02.jpg
The Northern flank is best accessed from the Hollandia hut (marked) just above the Lötchenlucke
AL03.jpg
A view of the North face from above the Hollandia hut

The routes from the 2640m Oberaletsch hut are all quite long (8hrs + to the summit) - and getting longer as the initial ladder descent from the hut to the glacier surface is increasing at around 6m a year :shock: - now around 200m
AL04.jpg
The Oberaletsch hut - I have been there several times - but not to climb the Aletschhorn :)
AL05.jpg
Aletschhorn from the hut - The shrinkage of the glacier is very obvious
AL06.jpg
You get a closer view from below the Distelberg - a rock-climbing peak on the far L of the previous picture.
Once clear of the glacial moraines, you can climb straight up the SW rib or head further L up the easy snow slopes to the N ridge

The shortest route to the summit starts at the 3013m Mittelaletsch bivouac, climbs glacier slopes to the 3623m Aletschjoch and then follows the ridge shown in the first photo.
AL0&A.jpg
Route from the bivouac hut
AL07.jpg
The yurt shaped Mittelaletsch bivouac hut
Reaching the hut however, proved to be a long day in itself.
AL06A.jpg
The route to the hut starts at Kuhboden reached by a lift from Fiesch in the Rhone valley
I did it in August 2003 (the very dry year) and wrote it up that autumn is my local club journal. I have left the account almost unaltered: I titled it "When the window opens"

"It started off so well: we caught the first lift to Kuhboden and 20 minutes along the track got a lift through the tunnel to the Marielenhutte - saving us nearly half an hour. Just time for a quick fill up with Fanta (temperatures were reaching 40 C in Paris) and then down to the Aletsch glacier that runs through the landscape like a tranquil river - nearly 2km wide. The descent was much less than I had feared
AL08.jpg
First view of the glacier
AL09.jpg
Edge of the glacier - we had to get round this pool and up on to the ice
We climbed on to the ice, and put on crampons, but after 2 hours teetering on knife edges and jumping Nureyev-like over wider and wider crevasses we were still no more than 200m out.
AL09A.jpg

AL10.jpg
On the glacier looking up towards Konkordia
Klaus was getting desperate
"we try over here and if that doesn't work we go right back and try somewhere else": I began to see this whole climb as being stillborn, but one more huge leap and things got better: we continued to make steady progress.
On the map the Aletsch and Mittelaletsch glaciers are completely joined, but glacial maps are history these days and we descended into an area of moraines. It was as if a hundred giant JCBs had started to build a new spaghetti junction and then thought better of it. We threaded our way through huge unstable mounds of mud and boulders piled amongst the rotting ice until eventually a track started to ascend the valley through grass and flowers beside a roaring torrent.
AL12.jpg
Looking up the valley towards the Mittelaletschglacier: The height of the huge scars above show just how much ice has gone from here
An hour or so later we reached the Mittelaletsch glacier - a mass of hard clear ice, almost flat, covered in gravel and boulders and running with surface water. we followed it for about 3 km until on its R the hut was directly above us - about 400m above us :shock:
Directly below it a narrow evil looking scree gully climbed steeply to boilerplate slabs which might give further access upwards. Straight above us was a massive icefall, but to the L a wide crevasse-free depression seemed to lead up above this and allow a traverse back R - this was what the guidebook suggested - so up we went. The crevasses on the traverse were awkward - but nothing compared to what had gone before and we climbed out of a muddy bergschrund on to a terrace.
Eight and a half hours after starting we staggered into the Mittelaletsch bivouac - a sweet little hexagonal hut sleeping 14 people.
There was no spring, but I grabbed a large bucket and filled it with cloudy water from one of the many meltwater streams pouring past. " it's fine as long as you boil it" said Klaus and four mugs of fruit tea, two mugs of soup and a bowl of Spaghetti later I began to feel a bit less thirsty and the bucket was nearly empty. two Italians joined us - they had found a route up the scree gully: Klaus chatted to them in some European language, but they had no stove and no food - I really don't know why they were there.
At 3.30am we set off after the usual quick alpine breakfast put on crampons and climbed the icy glacier above the hut. it was covered in small stones and very hard on the feet. The first flash of lightning came after about half an hour and was rapidly followed by others. Thunder rumbled round the valley and we first hid in a crevasse and then beat a retreat to the hut in pouring rain and went back to bed. The Italians who had shadowed us soon followed.
To come all this way and NOT climb the mountain was sickening but I soon fell asleep. At 7.00am the weather looked better - not great but not bad.
"Can't we wait til tomorrow?"
" It's now or never" said Klaus so ten minutes later off we went again. Up and across the hard stony glacier on to easy snow slopes. After 2 hours at breakneck pace we reached the joch and looked down the other side. A couple of hundred metres along the ridge we reached a rock outcrop and I sank down exhausted.
AL12A.jpg
Looking back E across the joch - the Finsteraarhorn at the back
AL13.jpg
Looking up to the summit
The summit was visible but the weather looked threatening. " If we're going to climb this mountain we have to do it fast: do you think you can do it?"
I shrugged - I certainly wasn't turning back :lol:
The fore-summit looked quite close but the main one looked miles further away. The angle of the broad ridge was easy to start with and there was a good track in the snow. As it steepened and I began to feel the altitude I started to count the steps to try and make first 200 then 100 and then 50 before stopping to gasp. we crossed a bergschrund, then 20-30m of steep snow ice - good steps fortunately - and we were on a narrow ridge just below the 4086m fore-summit. From below there seemed to be a big drop beyond, but thankfully it was an illusion. We crossed a flat plateau and then it was up the 100m high final ridge - hard snow ice on the L, rotten rock on the R: we moved from one to the other in the swirling mist. 4 hours from the hut and we were there. The mist cleared briefly and I looked down the steep slopes of mud and rotten ice that led up from the Oberaletsch hut. " No way jose" I thought
The descent time was even faster as we charged down the soft easy snow slopes, but after the first fruit tea, Klaus's stove packed up ( These huts don't have stoves as they just keep getting stolen :( -) We had four biscuits - one each for dinner and for breakfast and nothing to drink. We just slept til morning.
We had however learnt a lot and the return - descent via the scree gully and a different crossing of the glacier in continuous rain - allowed us to reach the Marielen hut for a mega lunch. Then it was back through the tunnel and down the lift. I screwed up the parking ticket on the windscreen and threw it in the bin"
Last edited by past my sell by date on Wed Nov 27, 2019 4:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
past my sell by date
Mountaineer

Munros:282   Corbetts:86
Fionas:27   Donalds:6
Sub 2000:8   Hewitts:146
Wainwrights:159   Islands:5

Re: Swiss 4000nders 15 The Aletschhorn

Postby Alteknacker » Fri Dec 23, 2016 6:25 pm

Another great read :clap: :clap: :clap: . Really enjoyed this, as usual.

Though I must say, the state of the glacier, as seen in the shot of the Aletschhorn from the hut, is most disturbing. Reflecting that the Cuillin was covered in a glacier 12000 years ago, or that the Vikings were driven out of Greenland 1000 years ago because of the progressive cooling of the weather, offers scant comfort. It’s really hard to avoid the conclusion that human activities are as a minimum contributing to this :(, and it's not just part of the normal cycle .

It must have been pretty terrifying being caught out in a thunderstorm – for some reason I’m excessively fearful of lightning, and it doesn’t help knowing of the large numbers of mountaineers who’ve been killed by lightning – eg Reinhold Messner’s older brother, Friedl Mutschlechner, and countless others…
Alteknacker
Scrambler

Munros:176   Corbetts:33
Fionas:1   
Hewitts:264
Wainwrights:118   

Postby past my sell by date » Sat Dec 24, 2016 4:02 pm

Alteknacker wrote:Another great read :clap: :clap: :clap: . Really enjoyed this, as usual.

Though I must say, the state of the glacier, as seen in the shot of the Aletschhorn from the hut, is most disturbing. Reflecting that the Cuillin was covered in a glacier 12000 years ago, or that the Vikings were driven out of Greenland 1000 years ago because of the progressive cooling of the weather, offers scant comfort. It’s really hard to avoid the conclusion that human activities are as a minimum contributing to this :(, and it's not just part of the normal cycle .

It must have been pretty terrifying being caught out in a thunderstorm – for some reason I’m excessively fearful of lightning, and it doesn’t help knowing of the large numbers of mountaineers who’ve been killed by lightning – eg Reinhold Messner’s older brother, Friedl Mutschlechner, and countless others…

Thanks Alteknacker
The walk up to the Oberaletsch hut is stunning and goes through probably the most glaciated valley I have ever seen. I will write it up one day but I need to get some more photos. The problem is that once the ice gets covered in stones much more sunlight is absorbed and the degradation accelerates
past my sell by date
Mountaineer

Postby gaffr » Fri Dec 30, 2016 12:34 pm

Hello,
We went by way of the Aletsch Glacier on our way to Finsteraarhorn via the Koncordia hutte. I recall the wee tunnel coming up from our camp near Fiesch but don't recall the Marielenhutte on our way through to the 'Great Glacier'.
This glacier was one of the memorable images from our school geography book.....a little different today after what we have done to the planet ever since we began the 'Industrial age'.
Hope you don't mind me adding a couple of images....could assist folks heading into the vast sanctuary.
We had to spend a second night at the Finsteraarhorn refuge after being thwarted by wind/snow weather conditions.
2005_0715Alps20050007 (640x480).jpg
Reaching the edge of the great glacier....warm day shorts on all the way up to Koncordia hutte....I did not know of the ladders until the following morning. We reached the hutte by way of a fine diagonal path up through the rubble and slope.
Stairs to the glacier from Konkordia (480x640).jpg
After reaching the glacier, over Grunlucke pass and up over Wyssnolan before reaching Finsteraarhorn hutte.
2005_0801Alps200520008 (640x480).jpg
Felt happier with three on the rope when jumping across the numerous slots....just listening and watching and realising that there was a vast honeycomb of fast flowing streams rushing down under the surface......the thought of getting sucked into by one of these and not being roped was worrying.....I have been on a few dry glaciers and not been roped but this one no way.
gaffr
Munro compleatist

Munros:281   Corbetts:203
Fionas:33   Donalds:14
Sub 2000:11   Hewitts:25
Wainwrights:11   Islands:17

Postby past my sell by date » Sun Jan 01, 2017 6:20 pm

[quote="gaffr"]Hello,
We went by way of the Aletsch Glacier on our way to Finsteraarhorn via the Koncordia hutte. I recall the wee tunnel coming up from our camp near Fiesch but don't recall the Marielenhutte on our way through to the 'Great Glacier'.
This glacier was one of the memorable images from our school geography book.....a little different today after what we have done to the planet ever since we began the 'Industrial age'.
Hope you don't mind me adding a couple of images....could assist folks heading into the vast sanctuary.
We had to spend a second night at the Finsteraarhorn refuge after being thwarted by wind/snow weather conditions.
Hi Gaffr
Nice to see your pic of the Aletsch glacier from where we both set foot on it :) The level in my photo is certainly a lot lower than in yours - I guess it'll be lower still now. Even as a dry glacirer you don't mess with it : We roped up after (or maybe before) the first crevasse I think :lol:
I've never been to Koncordia hut. When you're employing a guide, time is money so we took th expensive train ride both times. Later, I quite wanted to traverse from the Grimsel pass to the Lotchental via Koncordia, but the glaciers are so scalloped now crossing them is no pleasure at all :(
past my sell by date
Mountaineer

Postby ChrisW » Tue Jan 03, 2017 8:31 pm

Another wonderful report of your adventures in the Alps PMSD, striking photos as always, I laughed at this
jumping Nureyev-like
with all that gear on...are you sure :lol: :lol:

The lightning over the glacier would have had me scurrying too, I hate getting caught in lightning, I know the actual chance of being struck is incredibly small but rational thinking goes out of the window when those bolts are flashing around :lol:
ChrisW
Rambler

Munros:18   Corbetts:5
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:6   

Postby past my sell by date » Fri Jan 06, 2017 5:10 pm

ChrisW wrote:Another wonderful report of your adventures in the Alps PMSD, striking photos as always, I laughed at this
jumping Nureyev-like
with all that gear on...are you sure :lol: :lol:

The lightning over the glacier would have had me scurrying too, I hate getting caught in lightning, I know the actual chance of being struck is incredibly small but rational thinking goes out of the window when those bolts are flashing around :lol:

Just a figure of speech Chris - although I did have to take a run at one or two. This far down the glacier the crevasse edges have eroded leaving a sort of V shaped slit narrowng to vertical lower down
past my sell by date
Mountaineer

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Outside Scotland