walkhighlands

This board helps you to share your walking route experiences in England and Wales... or overseas.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Red Screes and Scandale

Red Screes and Scandale

Postby Broggy1 » Mon Jan 09, 2017 11:44 am

Wainwrights included on this walk: High Hartsop Dodd, Little Hart Crag, Middle Dodd, Red Screes

Hewitts included on this walk: Little Hart Crag, Red Screes

Date walked: 07/01/2017

Time taken: 3.1

Distance: 16.8 km

Ascent: 1164m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

A much better walk than expected after driving early to Ambleside in thick mist and setting off in darkness.

There wasn't a forecast for an inversion as such but I broke through the cloud around the 500m level - although this was more of a North/South thing as once over Red Screes it was obvious the North Eastern side of the District was clear. The fog never lifted from Ambleside though.

Back at the car for 11.15am and home for the football.

Very mild with hardly any wind and no need for a jacket.

1 Pea Soup.JPG
Total pea soup starting off - I'd resigned myself to a day walking in the mist at this point.

2 Breaking through.JPG
But things started happening as I got higher....

3 Inversion.JPG
Above the clouds - Wetherlam looking to have the best of the weather.

4 Red Screes.JPG
Red Screes Summit

5 Middle Dodd ahead.JPG
Middle Dodd ahead - revealing a very different outlook the other side of Kirkstone Pass

6 Ill Bell Ridge.JPG
Ill Bell Ridge

7 Dove Crag from Middle Dodd.JPG
Dove Crag from Middle Dodd. The Helvellyn range didn't clear all morning.

8 LHC ahead.JPG
After traversing round Red Screes, Little Hart Crag is ahead as I descend to Scandale Pass

9 Scandale Inversion.JPG
Inversion in Scandale

10 LHC summit.JPG
Little Hart Crag summit

11 High Hartsop Dodd ahead.JPG
High Hartsop Dodd ahead. Both Dodd's are better done as direct climbs from Brothers Water as they are really only part of their respective parent fells from the way I did them today.

12 HHD summit looking to PLace Fell.JPG
High Hartsop Dodd 'summit' looking to a clear Place Fell and Angletarn Pikes

13 Heading into Scandale.JPG
Heading into Scandale. I'd never walked through Scandale before so that was the main reason for this walk.

14 Scandale.JPG
Scandale again - the inversion is getting lower as the day progresses

15 Back in cloud.JPG
Eventually back in the fog again as I descend to a murky Ambleside
Broggy1
Mountain Walker

Munros:111   Corbetts:19
Fionas:5   Donalds:20+7
Sub 2000:8   Hewitts:274
Wainwrights:214   Islands:1

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Outside Scotland