walkhighlands

This board helps you to share your walking route experiences in England and Wales... or overseas.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Great Hameldon and other West Pennine Moors

Great Hameldon and other West Pennine Moors

Postby Broggy1 » Mon Jan 16, 2017 12:52 pm

Date walked: 14/01/2017

Time taken: 4.3

Distance: 24.7 km

Ascent: 767m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

With the snow on Thursday and Friday I was keen to get out on Saturday and thought it may be a good chance to visit Great Hameldon - quite a prominent summit in the East Lancashire area.

Stretched the walk out to include visits to Goodshaw Hill, White Hill and Hameldon Hill.

Light winds and blue skies with snow on the fells but lot's of mud elsewhere.

1 Following the Burnley way.JPG
The route from Hapton follows the Burnley Way through farmland and forest

2 Heading up through the quarry.JPG
The quarried Northern side of Great Hameldon - I took a direct route up through here

3 Higher up.JPG
Higher up the quarry works

4 Summit ahead.JPG
Eventually you reach a plateau with the bump of Great Hameldon ahead

5 Great Hameldon looking to Pendle Hill.JPG
Great Hameldon Trig Point looking to Pendle Hill

6 Over to Hameldon Hill.JPG
Hameldon Hill and it's Radar Station ahead. It's an easy enough walk from here but I had a longer route planned so would be visiting here later.

7 Ridge to Goodshaw Hill.JPG
Ridge ahead to Goodshaw Hill. Probably the muddiest bit of the day and a bit of a trudge.

8 Back to GH from Goodshaw.JPG
Backto Great Hameldon from Goodshaw Hill

9 Descending to Goodshaw on the Rossendale Way.JPG
Descending to Goodshaw on the Rossendale Way. Lovely and snowy here and a really good descent.

10 Rossendale Way with White Hill ahead.JPG
From Goodshaw I continued to follow the Rossendale Way as it headed back up towards White Hill.

11 Better track now near Compston's Cross.JPG
At Compston's Cross the Way turns off but better tracks lead to White Hill and around the moors in the area.

A lot of work has gone into making walking and cycling routes on this part of the moor and has made them very accessible.

12 approaching white Hill.JPG
Approaching White Hill - the highest point of this bit of moor - on the 'White Hill Circuit'

13 Thievely Pike from WH.JPG
Thievely Pike from White Hill

14 Boulsworth Hill.JPG
Boulsworth Hill - the highest of the South Pennines

15 Descending to the re with Nutshaw Hill ahead.JPG
Descending on the good track to Clowbridge Reservoir with Nutshaw Hill ahead.

Nutshaw is really a part of Hameldon Hill and I planned to use this to reascend.

Unfortunately the top is surrounded by a series of electric fences - obviously designed to keep livestock away from the quarry. I tried to find a route around this but gave up and descended back to Lower Nutshaw.

16 Back on Burnley way to Hameldon Hill.JPG
Back on the Burnley Way which I followed to Hameldon Hill

17 Hameldon Hill.JPG
Trig Point on Hameldon Hill and Radar Station. Very similar kind of summit to nearby Winter Hill.

18 Back to Res and White Hill.JPG
Looking down the access road to Clowbridge Reservoir and White Hill

19 Burnleey WAy with GH ahead and Bowland.JPG
On the Burnley Way with Great Hameldon in front again and the Bowland hills behind

20 Descending with Pendle Hill ahead.JPG
Descending around Great Hameldon with Pendle Hill in view again.

The tracks here had been churned up by motorbikes.

It's obviously a popular hill for these and a bit of a nuisance but rather it be on Great Hameldon than Great Gable I guess!
Broggy1
Mountain Walker

Munros:85   Corbetts:15
Grahams:3   Donalds:10
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:272
Wainwrights:214   Islands:1

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Walkhighlands community forum is advert free

We need help to keep the site online.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and the online community by setting up a monthly donation by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Outside Scotland