walkhighlands

This board helps you to share your walking route experiences in England and Wales... or overseas.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Unflattering Photos of Mountain Coward's Bum!;-)

Unflattering Photos of Mountain Coward's Bum!;-)

Postby mountain coward » Fri Sep 03, 2010 12:00 am

Date walked: 28/08/2010

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Just woken the neighbours again having total hysterics... The reason is that I’ve just borrowed Richard’s new digital camera (don’t worry, he’s still keeping his Nikon film one) and am getting some pictures off it which he took of me last Sunday. We’ve taken to going to the famous Cow & Calf rocks on Ilkla Moor Bar t’at to scramble the various easier routes there... Anyway these are pics you probably thought you’d never see of a mountain coward scrambling some reasonable routes – the reason I can do these is ‘cos there’s no 3000 foot drop off them! I actually found I was a pretty good scrambler and led all the routes as Richard couldn’t figure them out...

Anyway, these pics are most unflattering as, being me climbing up things, are mainly of my bum and I have on my best old and knackered clothes (as you do if you’ve any sense for clambering up gritstone) - I didn't do my hair either - sorry!

But the reason for the total hysterics was when I opened the first pic and saw this:

Me lying headless and dead!.JPG

Once I’d stopped laughing, I rotated them all and the rest are here. The first ones are what I call the ‘Subterranean Climb’ as it goes up a short external bit (mainly an awkward leaning crack) into the bowels of the rocks where you find yourself in a pit which you have to climb out of – luckily it has superb holds. There will be more photos later when I get my film processed – Richard took all the pics as this was our second visit and he didn’t feel like doing any scrambling so just did the photography. His digital kept playing up and saying the battery was done (it’s brand new) so I kept setting mine up for him at the foot of each climb so he could use either.

Starting the Leaning Crack.jpg
Start of the 'subterranean route'
Leaving The Crack.JPG
Going into cavern.JPG
2nd climb - start.JPG
2nd climb - 2nd move.JPG
2nd climb - going round corner.JPG
2nd climb-disappearing round corner.JPG
2nd climb - the finish.JPG

The next photos are one of the climbs in a quarry which is cut inside the rocks – looks exciting but is actually easier and shorter than the other climbs (pics to follow on those – Richard’s camera had given up altogether by then).

2nd Quarry Climb1.JPG
2nd Quarry Climb2.JPG
2nd Quarry Climb3.JPG

Don't forget to cool down properly afterwards :D

Ice Cream Reward.JPG
Last edited by mountain coward on Wed Dec 22, 2010 11:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mountain coward

Re: Unflattering Photos of Mountain Coward's Bum!;-)

Postby gaffr » Fri Sep 03, 2010 7:08 am

A few more training sessions with your old pal....rock ace Ron F. and anything will be possible. :)
gaffr
Munro compleatist

Munros:281   Corbetts:203
Fionas:33   Donalds:14
Sub 2000:11   Hewitts:25
Wainwrights:11   Islands:17

Postby Allan 601 » Fri Sep 03, 2010 7:46 am

Some nifty looking moves there ! :thumbup:

Most of the time the moves are easy enough - it's the exposure which freaks people out. The fear :shock: is all in the head !
Allan 601
Stravaiging

Munros:20   Corbetts:8
Fionas:4   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:5   Hewitts:223
Wainwrights:214   

Postby magicdin » Fri Sep 03, 2010 8:58 am

no bad at all MC - next stop SKYE :shock:
magicdin
Rambler

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:110   Donalds:23
Sub 2000:17   Hewitts:24
Wainwrights:10   Islands:28

Postby walk aboot » Fri Sep 03, 2010 9:53 am

:thumbup:

Well deserved ice cream, MC :D .
walk aboot

Munros:36   Corbetts:4
Donalds:1
Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:2   Islands:27

Postby retrogear » Fri Sep 03, 2010 4:37 pm

Think you're going to have to change your name MC - nothing cowardly about that. :D
retrogear

Postby fedupofuserids » Fri Sep 03, 2010 6:30 pm

Practice for the In Pinn ?
fedupofuserids

Postby billgerrie » Fri Sep 03, 2010 9:22 pm

Sounds like a meet!
billgerrie
Munro compleatist

Munros:151   Corbetts:14
Donalds:4

Postby susanmyatt » Sat Sep 04, 2010 6:57 am

Us ladies can climb :lol: never mind the bum, now I do know you if we pass on the hills :D nice post MC
susanmyatt
Munro compleatist

Hewitts:94
Wainwrights:141   

Postby tomyboy73 » Sat Sep 04, 2010 5:54 pm

well done mc, and you`re wearing my boots !
tomyboy73
Mountain Walker

Munros:186   Corbetts:40
Fionas:9   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:6   Hewitts:6
Wainwrights:3   Islands:5
Walk wish-list

Postby LeithySuburbs » Sat Sep 04, 2010 9:17 pm

Couldn't help but think of a different meaning of the photo named "leaving the crack" :lol: . Looks a good place to find one's scrambling feet :) .
LeithySuburbs
Ambler

Munros:259   Corbetts:56
Fionas:29   Donalds:33
Sub 2000:41   Hewitts:14
Wainwrights:23   Islands:13

Postby mountain coward » Sun Sep 12, 2010 1:55 am

Thanks for the many humorous comments folks - you can forget Skye and the In Pinn though! These are very easy scrambles and probably only around 20-30 feet to fall max - it's also gritstone so probably the grippiest rock there is! I'm trying to get some pics of 'The Leap' - it's about a 4 foot gap with a 25 foot or so drop beneath with lots of rocks to bounce off. Richard wouldn't leap it but after a few seconds psyching myself up, I did it. Now we're trying to get a pic of me doing it but I don't want to do it too often as that's probably tempting fate. Anyway, here's Richard's pics with my camera. Now we're back from Ullapool we'll probably be going again this week but I'd best not keep boring everyone with the photos unless we get any real crackers.

Yeah, it would be a great place for a meet in the Dales if anyone wanted one there - there's good walking across Ilkley Moor afterwards too :D

Subterranean Climb.jpg
I took this one...
Looking Down Into Subterranean Climb fm top.jpg
I took this one and it's my foot...
Gap Climb.jpg
Couple on bypass path of 2nd Quarry Climb.jpg
1st Quarry Climb.jpg
1st Quarry Climb1.jpg
1st Quarry Climb2.jpg
1st Quarry Climb-end.jpg
1st Quarry Climb route.jpg
Taken by me...
Looking down 1st Quarry Climb.jpg
Also taken by me...
Richard on Steps & Ramp Climb.jpg

Haven't done this one yet but did the first section to show Richard how to do it then chickened out on the crack afterwards - will probably do it next time...

Still-to-do climb.jpg
mountain coward

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Outside Scotland