walkhighlands

This board helps you to share your walking route experiences in England and Wales... or overseas.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Chinley Churn and the Snake Path

Chinley Churn and the Snake Path

Postby Beery Hiker » Mon Feb 06, 2017 9:04 pm

Date walked: 04/02/2017

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

This is a little different - not so much a hillwalk, more of a long cross-country walk round the back of Kinder Scout. The idea occurred to me the previous Saturday, when I spent a wet day doing most of the Kinder Trespass Trail, which is a circular walk from New Mills out to William Clough, the trespass site. This included a short section of the Snake Path, and having seen the commemorative sign about the path's history it occurred to me that I had never walked it. The rest of the walk was constructed to arrange a start and finish at a railway station. Encouraged by a much better weather forecast, I got the train to Chinley, and set off up the direct path up Chinley Churn. This is a classic viewpoint for the Kinder plateau that I had never done before. The east side alternates between steep layers scarred by quarries and flatter sections. Reaching the top requires a wall to be crossed - the map suggests a right of way crosses it but there is little evidence of that on the ground. Crossing the wall without damaging it was easy enough, and I was soon at the trig point, enjoyng the views
east towards Kinder
ImageIMG_0566 by Beery Hiker, on Flickr
looking further south:
ImageIMG_0567 by Beery Hiker, on Flickr
looking north-east:
ImageIMG_0571 by Beery Hiker, on Flickr
I retreated down the east side and found another place to cross the wall, and followed the wall over towards the north top, pausing for a quick look back down the ridge:
ImageIMG_0573 by Beery Hiker, on Flickr
a group had commandeered a fine viewpoint on an outcrop on the north top:
ImageIMG_0574 by Beery Hiker, on Flickr
the view to Kinder from the north top:
ImageIMG_0575 by Beery Hiker, on Flickr
I headed down to the west looking back across the plateau to the north top:
ImageIMG_0577 by Beery Hiker, on Flickr
then followed the bridle path descending towards Hayfield:
ImageIMG_0580 by Beery Hiker, on Flickr
ImageIMG_0581 by Beery Hiker, on Flickr
ImageIMG_0583 by Beery Hiker, on Flickr
Before long, I was climbing again, on the Snake path looking towards Kinder:
ImageIMG_0587 by Beery Hiker, on Flickr
the first sight of Kinder reservoir:
ImageIMG_0588 by Beery Hiker, on Flickr
a little further on, the sunlight over the reservoir caught the eye:
ImageIMG_0591 by Beery Hiker, on Flickr
and before long I was on the familiar rough path up William Clough - looking back to the reservoir:
ImageIMG_0594 by Beery Hiker, on Flickr
The highest point of the Snake path is the crossroads between Mill Hill and Kinder:
ImageIMG_0595 by Beery Hiker, on Flickr
I continued, encouraged by a flagstoned path descending towards the Ashop valley:
ImageIMG_0597 by Beery Hiker, on Flickr
but the path soon disappeared in an unpleasant mixture of boggy ground and snow.
ImageIMG_0600 by Beery Hiker, on Flickr
Fortunately this section didn't last long, and the views back up towards the north edge of Kinder more than compensated:
ImageIMG_0604 by Beery Hiker, on Flickr
further down the Ashop valley steepens:
ImageIMG_0605 by Beery Hiker, on Flickr
the wood near Snake Inn:
ImageIMG_0607 by Beery Hiker, on Flickr
It was already 3 p.m. when I reached the Inn, so I couldn't stop, and reluctantly decided to follow the main road as far as Hagg Farm. I then calculated that there was just enough time to follow the track round the south side of the Ladybower reservoir before dark. I was rewarded by the views of Ladybower reservoir:
ImageIMG_0609 by Beery Hiker, on Flickr
The bridge over the northern arm was a welcome sight in the twilight:
ImageIMG_0611 by Beery Hiker, on Flickr
And it was much darker than this picture suggests by the time the dam came into view:
ImageIMG_0612 by Beery Hiker, on Flickr
All that remained was a couple of miles of road walk down to Bamford station - fortunately there is a pavement for the whole of this section, as it was properly dark by the time I passed through the village. A fine day - the only slight disappointment was that the walk just failed to measure 20 miles.
Attachments

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Beery Hiker
Walker

Munros:77   Corbetts:13
Fionas:2   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:3   Hewitts:132
Wainwrights:119   Islands:5

Re: Chinley Churn and the Snake Path

Postby HalfManHalfTitanium » Tue Feb 07, 2017 9:53 am

Very much enjoyed this account of a long linear route, with some unfamiliar views of familiar places! Excellent photos (as always!).
HalfManHalfTitanium
Mountain Walker

Munros:119   Corbetts:28
Fionas:6   Donalds:6
Hewitts:152
Wainwrights:103   

Re: Chinley Churn and the Snake Path

Postby ChrisW » Mon Feb 20, 2017 3:18 am

Wow, those pics are stunning BH, one after another they just keep on coming...beautiful :clap: :clap:
ChrisW
Rambler

Munros:18   Corbetts:5
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:6   

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Outside Scotland