walkhighlands

This board helps you to share your walking route experiences in England and Wales... or overseas.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Blencathra-Skiddaw round of 12 on a clear & VERY cold day

Blencathra-Skiddaw round of 12 on a clear & VERY cold day

by Alteknacker » Sun Feb 12, 2017 12:51 pm

Wainwrights included on this walk: Bakestall, Bannerdale Crags, Blencathra, Bowscale Fell, Carl Side, Carrock Fell, Great Calva, High Pike (Northern Fells), Knott, Long Side, Lonscale Fell, Skiddaw, Skiddaw Little Man

Hewitts included on this walk: Bannerdale Crags, Blencathra, Bowscale Fell, Carrock Fell, Great Calva, High Pike, Knott, Long Side, Lonscale Fell, Skiddaw, Skiddaw Little Man

Date walked: 09/02/2017

Time taken: 10.5

Distance: 36.9 km

Ascent: 2670m

Click to mark this as a great report. Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Re: Blencathra-Skiddaw round of 12 on a clear & VERY cold da

Postby simon-b » Wed Feb 22, 2017 9:57 pm

Alteknacker wrote:I must admit that I didn't realize when I took the pic from Great Calva that the 2 lakes in the far background were Thirlmere and Windermere...!!! But Wainwright was certainly right about it being like looking down the barrel of a gun.

You can't actually see Windermere, but the hills in the far distance are the low fells around there. You can definitely see Thirlmere.
simon-b
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:30
Fionas:7   Donalds:12
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:155
Wainwrights:214   Islands:4

Postby mrssanta » Sat Feb 25, 2017 5:06 pm

That was brilliant. We came across the Lingy hut on a vile day with a DofE training group and there were howls of joy when they realised they were allowed to go and sit inside!
mrssanta
Mountain Walker

Munros:281   Corbetts:12
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:12   Hewitts:43
Wainwrights:41   Islands:13

Postby Broggy1 » Mon Jul 03, 2017 7:07 pm

Just a note to say thanks for the inspiration to plan a similar route to this yesterday.

I'd never considered the idea of combining the two Northern Fell biggies together with some of the "back o skidda" fells until I read your report.

And it worked perfectly - although I had a couple of minor variations to you. Visiting Bowscale Tarn as part of the route, not visiting Carl Side and Long Side (knowing Skiddaw as I do I knew my football ravaged ankles couldn't take that traverse around the slate!) and after reading your report, descending Lonscale Fell in order to link up with the footbridge higher up the valley!

Thanks again :clap:
Broggy1
Mountain Walker

Munros:111   Corbetts:19
Fionas:5   Donalds:20+7
Sub 2000:8   Hewitts:274
Wainwrights:214   Islands:1

Postby Alteknacker » Tue Jul 04, 2017 10:42 pm

Broggy1 wrote:Just a note to say thanks for the inspiration to plan a similar route to this yesterday.

I'd never considered the idea of combining the two Northern Fell biggies together with some of the "back o skidda" fells until I read your report.

And it worked perfectly - although I had a couple of minor variations to you. Visiting Bowscale Tarn as part of the route, not visiting Carl Side and Long Side (knowing Skiddaw as I do I knew my football ravaged ankles couldn't take that traverse around the slate!) and after reading your report, descending Lonscale Fell in order to link up with the footbridge higher up the valley!

Thanks again :clap:

Great to hear that it was of some use to you. In fact it was partly the reports of others that moved me to do this route in the first place, having previously never given these hills a thought!

I try to give sufficient detail of routes I do (words and pics) so that folk reading it can gauge what it's like; so if it's served this purpose, I'm very happy.

Was it as boggy as I imagined it would be when not frozen over? I trust we'll be seeing a report shortly.... :)
Alteknacker
Scrambler

Munros:176   Corbetts:33
Fionas:1   
Hewitts:264
Wainwrights:118   

Postby Broggy1 » Wed Jul 05, 2017 7:03 pm

Alteknacker wrote:[

Great to hear that it was of some use to you. In fact it was partly the reports of others that moved me to do this route in the first place, having previously never given these hills a thought!

I try to give sufficient detail of routes I do (words and pics) so that folk reading it can gauge what it's like; so if it's served this purpose, I'm very happy.

Was it as boggy as I imagined it would be when not frozen over? I trust we'll be seeing a report shortly.... :)

Yeah it was a brilliant guide.

I know the area quite well having done them all before in various shorter walks - and the ground is certainly a bit wet in places (particularly on route to Knott) - so I went for boots on this one.

The re-climb to Carrock is certainly rough!

It's on my blog on this site but not enough words to make it a full report!

Thanks again mate.
Broggy1
Mountain Walker

Postby Alteknacker » Sat Jul 08, 2017 12:19 am

Broggy1 wrote:....

Thanks again mate.

I checked out your entry - 7.55 hours! That's an incredible time - do you run these routes? Even then, it would be a very quick time, with fast walking on pretty well all the uphills and pretty speedy jogging on the downhills.... It's more or less exactly equivalent to the necessary pace for the Charlie Ramsey round!!! Wow!
Alteknacker
Scrambler

Postby Broggy1 » Sat Jul 08, 2017 6:02 pm

Alteknacker wrote:

Thanks again mate.

I checked out your entry - 7.55 hours! That's an incredible time - do you run these routes? Even then, it would be a very quick time, with fast walking on pretty well all the uphills and pretty speedy jogging on the downhills.... It's more or less exactly equivalent to the necessary pace for the Charlie Ramsey round!!! Wow!

No running (usually) but I suppose that one was quite fast but then again I know that area very well so there was no need for map checks etc and with no views I didn't need to hang about. I guess I can get a bit of a shift on with the uphills at times - particularly when walking alone on a misty day. Very different to when out with others or an area new to me (Scotland, Wales).

Enjoy looking at your superman walks on this site and always look forward to the next installment.
Broggy1
Mountain Walker

Postby Alteknacker » Sun Jul 09, 2017 11:56 pm

Broggy1 wrote:
Alteknacker wrote:

Thanks again mate.

No running (usually) but I suppose that one was quite fast but then again I know that area very well so there was no need for map checks etc and with no views I didn't need to hang about. I guess I can get a bit of a shift on with the uphills at times - particularly when walking alone on a misty day. Very different to when out with others or an area new to me (Scotland, Wales).

Enjoy looking at your superman walks on this site and always look forward to the next installment.

My gentle exploits pale into insignificance compared to this (and to Jimandandrea's Ramsey round)! This is definitely Superman territory :-).
Alteknacker
Scrambler

14 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Previous

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Outside Scotland