walkhighlands

This board helps you to share your walking route experiences in England and Wales... or overseas.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

A Vosges á deux, s'il vous plait

A Vosges á deux, s'il vous plait

Postby jacob » Mon Mar 06, 2017 7:58 pm

Date walked: 04/03/2017

3 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

I dreamed about Walkhighlands.
It might sound silly, but I did.
I opened my laptop, and somebody (who? in dreams you never know) pointed out a new anouncement saying you're only allowed to report about the same route once. Do it more than once and you're banned.
So I got banned.

Now I'm awake, and I realise there's no such rule on this board. And that's a good thing. Because it's only a month ago I posted another w-r about sentier des roches, in the Vosges in France.
https://www.walkhighlands.co.uk/Forum/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=69083

But I walked this route again, and it was even better this time. Better weather, more snow, but above all: this time I walked with the mrs. And anything is better when done with your loved ones.

I will try to post another variation of photos though, just to be on the safe side and not get banned for this w-r :lol:

SAM_4218.jpg
Starting at the bealach of Col de la Schlucht, which is one of the few ways to get from east to west Vosges and vice versa by car, the walk starts as a pleasant stroll through the forest.

SAM_4220.jpg
But soon the pleasant stroll leads you past the first exposed parts of this rocky path.

SAM_4228.jpg
Going round the corner at some of the exposed parts might make one feel a bit wobbly.

SAM_4231.jpg
Most of the exposed parts have some kind of bar to hold on to

SAM_4240.jpg
This is looking down at the drop

SAM_4243.jpg
And on goes the path, with snow more than kneedeep at times.

SAM_4258.jpg
This is looking down one of the few open and less exposed parts of the walk

SAM_4259.jpg
And this is crossing one of the open spaces

SAM_4270.jpg
A frozen waterfall blocks the path. Beneath it there's quite a drop that looks like it might be quite painful to fall down. That means roping up to cross the waterfall.

SAM_4283.jpg
Another airy ridge to get across, luckily with handholds again.

SAM_4286.jpg
Along the path there's a nature made tunnel you have to go through. A nice element in this path that came from the drawing board of the local mountain association as early as 1906.

SAM_4293.jpg
Once out of the tunnel there's still enough steepness ahead.

SAM_4310.jpg
Downhill.

SAM_4312.jpg
And past a running waterfall, just hidden behind the trees.

SAM_4320.jpg
Having finished the Sentier des Roches, you arrive at the valley of Frankenthal. From here it's upwards to reach the summit of Hohneck at 1364 metres. This is looking up at it's summit on the left. The bealach in the middle is the route of ascend.

SAM_4322.jpg
This photo is taken from the same spot, but looking the other way, east, towards the German Black Forest.

SAM_4324.jpg
This is a zoomed photo, also taken from the same spot, of Martinswand, a steep and rocky wall north of Hohnecks main summit.

SAM_4325.jpg
And this is a zoom towards the bealach that is the route of ascend. For scale: there's a person standing on top of it.

SAM_4326.jpg
On our way up, we saw some rockclimbers on Martinswand.

SAM_4331.jpg
The going is tough, because of the snow that is at times kneedeep. Not too steep at first though.

SAM_4334.jpg
The higher you get, the steeper it gets.

IMG_5009.jpg
First photo with me in it, battling to get the last steep metres done.

SAM_4213.jpg
Close to the summit, the mountain rescue team is doing an excercise.

SAM_4340.jpg
In the blink of an eye, the fine weather is deteriorating. Here's some trailrunners passing some cornices that we luckily ascended past.

SAM_4342.jpg
Worse weather, fine looking cornices.
Time for our walk out, back to the car. A very fine walk.
Last edited by jacob on Sat Mar 11, 2017 12:22 pm, edited 2 times in total.
jacob

Munros:19   Corbetts:9
Fionas:4   
Hewitts:19

Re: A Vosges á deux, s'il vous plait

Postby ChrisW » Tue Mar 07, 2017 6:25 am

Another cracker Jacob, so different to the first post of the place I'm sure your dream won't be coming true anytime soon :wink: Looks to be some hard work in the snow and some dodgy drops too :shock: Great selection of photos that really did give an entirely new perspective on the hike :clap:
ChrisW
Rambler

Munros:18   Corbetts:5
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:6   

Postby jacob » Fri Mar 10, 2017 5:21 pm

ChrisW wrote: I'm sure your dream won't be coming true anytime soon :wink:

:lol: Well, did my best for that. I'm glad it's noticed and appreciated :wink:
jacob

Postby petelynn » Fri Mar 10, 2017 8:21 pm

Funnily enough I was at the Col de la Schlucht the day before your walk. I noticed the sign saying closed in winter conditions. Seeing your report I'm glad I didn't ignore it - not equipped (both gearwise and fear wise) for that kind of walk in those conditions. Instead did a gentle forest (but still snowy) walk near the Lac Vert. This picture from that walk may well be the Hohneck.

P3030047small.jpg
petelynn
Walker

Munros:8   Corbetts:11
Fionas:6   
Sub 2000:14   Hewitts:32
Wainwrights:11   

Postby jacob » Sat Mar 11, 2017 12:34 pm

petelynn wrote:Funnily enough I was at the Col de la Schlucht the day before your walk. I noticed the sign saying closed in winter conditions. Seeing your report I'm glad I didn't ignore it - not equipped (both gearwise and fear wise) for that kind of walk in those conditions. Instead did a gentle forest (but still snowy) walk near the Lac Vert. This picture from that walk may well be the Hohneck.

We may have just walked past each other then, because we too were on C dl S the day before, just to check the circumstances. :wink:
Your picture is Hohneck for sure, the Auberge at the summit is quite recognizeable.
My overall opinion about Vosges now after 2 visits is that the eastern part is a much more beautiful place than the western part. My short holiday alone I spent west of the range, this time we spent it east of the range.
As we were driving from hotel to C dl S and back, we were surprised at how beautiful and big the forests east of the range are (compared to the past glory ski resorts I found in the west), so I imagine your walk near Lac Vert must have been too.
jacob

3 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Outside Scotland