walkhighlands

This board helps you to share your walking route experiences in England and Wales... or overseas.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Birzebbuga to Gudja walk Malta (inc Ghar Dalam caves)

Birzebbuga to Gudja walk Malta (inc Ghar Dalam caves)

Postby PauloUK77 » Sat Mar 11, 2017 2:17 pm

Date walked: 19/02/2017

Time taken: 3

Distance: 4 km

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Before starting the walk we headed out of Birzebbuga up to the caves of Ghar Dalam. These caves were ok, nothing too impressive but a nice little diversion.

P1000435.JPG
Ghar Dalam Caves

P1000445.JPG
The caves have a little walkway.

P1000452.JPG

The walk from Birzebbuga towards Gudja follows a track of exposed rock toward a ruined house called Casa Ippolita. A left turn here and the path narrows becoming hard to follow in some places. A couple of times I didn't know if we were on private property. This whole route runs near to Malta International airport and so is a plane spotters delight.
Gudja was a quiet little town that seemed to have no tourists.
Overall like all our walks on Malta we enjoyed it but this one was not as spectacular as the rest.

P1000468.JPG

P1000473.JPG
The route is easy to follow at first along this exposed rock above a small valley.

P1000479.JPG

P1000480.JPG

P1000483.JPG

P1000488.JPG
In Gudja.
Last edited by PauloUK77 on Sat Feb 10, 2018 8:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PauloUK77
Mountain Walker

Munros:2   Corbetts:3
Fionas:1   
Sub 2000:12   Hewitts:43
Wainwrights:28   

Re: Birzebbuga to Gudja walk Malta (inc Ghar Dalam caves)

Postby ChrisW » Tue Mar 14, 2017 5:00 am

Nice shots of the yellow flowers everywhere mate, caves look a bit misty...is that condensation on the lens from hitting the cool cave air?
ChrisW
Rambler

Munros:18   Corbetts:5
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:6   

Postby PauloUK77 » Tue Mar 14, 2017 12:18 pm

ChrisW wrote:Nice shots of the yellow flowers everywhere mate, caves look a bit misty...is that condensation on the lens from hitting the cool cave air?

I have not got to grips with taking shots in a cave with my new camera yet ChrisW. It wasn't misty in there, just appears so on the pics. We had to walk through a swarm of Bees on the way in and out which made us feel a bit uncomfortable. These were non stinging bees apparently but I was not leaving that to chance. :D
PauloUK77
Mountain Walker

Munros:2   Corbetts:3
Fionas:1   
Sub 2000:12   Hewitts:43
Wainwrights:28   

Postby ChrisW » Wed Mar 15, 2017 4:27 am

PauloUK77 wrote: It wasn't misty in there, just appears so on the pics. We had to walk through a swarm of Bees on the way in and out which made us feel a bit uncomfortable. These were non stinging bees apparently but I was not leaving that to chance. :D

I think it's condensation mate, going from the warm air outside into the cool air of the cave :wink:

I'm with you on the swarm....take no chances :lol: :lol:
ChrisW
Rambler

Munros:18   Corbetts:5
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:6   

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Outside Scotland