walkhighlands

This board helps you to share your walking route experiences in England and Wales... or overseas.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Blake Fell and Friends.

Blake Fell and Friends.

Postby johnkaysleftleg » Fri Mar 24, 2017 11:49 am

Wainwrights included on this walk: Blake Fell, Burnbank Fell, Gavel Fell

Date walked: 24/02/2017

Time taken: 4.5

Distance: 12.5 km

Ascent: 735m

3 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

The problem with planning weekends away well in advance is of course the weather. I'd had this weekend booked for a while and as it loomed the shadow of Storm Doris cast long over potential plans. As it happened Doris hit on the Thursday and subsequently her daughters ruined Saturday and Sunday but Friday was a weather window gifted by the mountain gods allowing a forty something man and a small dog to have a pleasant day in the fells. The ladies of my life, if you're wondering were in Birmingham for shopping and a concert.

So where to walk? Well as I seem to be entertaining the idea of a second round and didn't want to be too ambitious I headed west for the lonely fells to the South of Loweswater. This is a lovely corner of the Lakes and a set of hills that were clag bound on the first time around. There looked little danger of that on a beautiful morning with only the higher fells attracting clouds. We set off from Maggie's Bridge and headed past High Nook Farm but, for the sake of variation made our way to the back of the corrie rather than up the left had ridge.

ImageDub Beck from Maggie's Bridge by Anthony Young, on Flickr

ImageCarling Knott by Anthony Young, on Flickr

ImagePast High Nook Farm by Anthony Young, on Flickr

ImageLooking back along the track by Anthony Young, on Flickr

ImageLow Fell by Anthony Young, on Flickr

ImagePlease close the Gate by Anthony Young, on Flickr

I visited some of the waterfalls in Highnook Beck before heading up what looked like an old mining track up the back of the valley it was seep going at first but soon leveled out for a steady pull up to Fothergill Head.

Highnook Beck Waterfalls by Anthony Young, on Flickr

ImageVale of Lorton by Anthony Young, on Flickr

Highnook Tarn by Anthony Young, on Flickr

ImageLeveling out by Anthony Young, on Flickr

ImageLooking back on the way to Fothergill Head by Anthony Young, on Flickr

Gavel Fell may be a fairly unheralded fell but on a day like this the view is fantastic. Grasmoor and friends, Red Pike and the High Stile Ridge are all well seen as well as the expansive views to the West towards the Irish sea. I had a bite to eat and messed around taking photos spending quite a while before I noticed the sun going in and the wind freshening. This broke my inaction and sparked me off in the direction of the days high point, Blake Fell.

On the final climb to Gavel Fell by Anthony Young, on Flickr

ImageGreat Borne from Gavel Fell by Anthony Young, on Flickr

ImageRed Pike from Gavel Fell by Anthony Young, on Flickr

ImageGrasmoor over Mellbreak by Anthony Young, on Flickr

ImageInsurgent by Anthony Young, on Flickr

ImageSouth West from Gavel Fell by Anthony Young, on Flickr

ImageRed Pike by Anthony Young, on Flickr

ImageWandope by Anthony Young, on Flickr

ImageThrough to gap towards Pillar by Anthony Young, on Flickr

ImageGrasmoor by Anthony Young, on Flickr

This is a straightforward climb that was troubled only by the threat that the clag might intrude on the views. As it happened It just added drama to another fine but chilly view as I gratefully settled in the shelter for some further rations.

ImageTowards Fleetwith Pike by Anthony Young, on Flickr

ImageRays by Anthony Young, on Flickr

ImageCogra Moss and Muton Fell from Blake Fell by Anthony Young, on Flickr

ImageLakeland Drama by Anthony Young, on Flickr

The last time I'd been up here on a full family outing we'd seen nothing and ended up just following the fence to the days final target. This time with a fine day and time to waste, Hughie and I set off towards Carling Knott perhaps Loweswater's most prominent fell from the Lakeside but not granted the distinction of a separate felldom by AW. It's a fairly short and soggy walk from Blake fell to get to the substantial summit shelter but I didn't stop there and continued on to Carling End and beyond to get a full aerial view of Loweswater. I admired this for a few minutes before I retraced my steps to the foot of the final climb up Carling Knott. Rather than go back over the summit, not really a great effort, I traversed the slopes to the North of the summit dome. For future reference just reclimb Carling Knott if you ever venture this way as the ground is uneven and to put it simply a pain in the backside. :roll:

ImageCarling Knott by Anthony Young, on Flickr

ImageOn the way to Carling Knott by Anthony Young, on Flickr

ImageMucky Pup by Anthony Young, on Flickr

ImageShelter on Carling Knott by Anthony Young, on Flickr

ImageCarling End by Anthony Young, on Flickr

ImageView East from Carling End by Anthony Young, on Flickr

ImageLoweswater from Carling End by Anthony Young, on Flickr

ImageLoweswater close up by Anthony Young, on Flickr

ImageLooking down to Loweswater from the traverse around Carling Knott by Anthony Young, on Flickr

Burnbank fell was the final top of the day and even with the views missed the last time it's no more impressive. Carling Knott is by far the better place to be and while it may be closer to it's parent that Burnbank Fell it's Higher and requires more re-ascent. Another little oddity in AW's masterpieces.

ImageBurnbank Fell by Anthony Young, on Flickr

ImageWhiteless Pike over Crummock Water by Anthony Young, on Flickr

ImageView from the way down from Burnbank Fell by Anthony Young, on Flickr

The grassy way down from Burnbank Fell is quite steep and slippy but soon enough the track traversing the North East face of the fells is reached so nice and easy going from here on in. Just after Holme Beck is crossed a path descends down through the delightful Holme Wood and back to the car.

ImageNice spot for five minutes by Anthony Young, on Flickr

Soft Light in Holme Wood by Anthony Young, on Flickr

By this time high level cloud indicating more weather to come had pervaded the sky but I still stopped of at Buttermere for a bit of a potter before heading back to my digs. As forecast Saturday and Sunday were blown away by relentless wind and rain so no fell walking was to be had. I wandered around the Whinlatter Forest on Saturday morning before exploring the Solway Coast. Sunday was a wander around Aria Force followed by a very wet walk around the ever Lovely Grasmere. I called it a day around lunch time and scarpered with some Gingerbread and chocs from the Excellent Chocolate Cottage. Hopefully better luck next time.

ImageButtermere by Anthony Young, on Flickr

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

johnkaysleftleg
Hill Bagger

Munros:25   Corbetts:11
Fionas:11   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:7   Hewitts:172
Wainwrights:214   Islands:8

Re: Blake Fell and Friends.

Postby arjh » Fri Mar 24, 2017 7:05 pm

Great photos of an area of the Lake District unfamiliar to me, I should make time to investigate.
arjh
Wanderer

Munros:116   Corbetts:27
Fionas:14   Donalds:13+8
Sub 2000:11   Hewitts:316
Wainwrights:187   Islands:6

Postby trailmasher » Fri Mar 24, 2017 9:43 pm

When the wife's away JK will play :lol: A great weather day on some fine hills there JK with some very excellent photos show casing a great report :clap: :clap: I could never understand AW's logic whilst choosing some of the fells :? as he did indeed miss out some great hills :? Ladyside Pike v Binsey is a no brainer as one example :roll:

A second round eh! 8) May bump into you and the great Hughie one day :lol: And what is it to be, Glaramara or Grasmere :?
trailmasher
Mountaineer

Munros:13   
Hewitts:179
Wainwrights:214   

Postby johnkaysleftleg » Fri Mar 24, 2017 10:01 pm

arjh wrote:Great photos of an area of the Lake District unfamiliar to me, I should make time to investigate.

Well worth an explore, one of the most charming areas is the district

trailmasher wrote:When the wife's away JK will play :lol: A great weather day on some fine hills there JK with some very excellent photos show casing a great report :clap: :clap: I could never understand AW's logic whilst choosing some of the fells :? as he did indeed miss out some great hills :? Ladyside Pike v Binsey is a no brainer as one example :roll:

A second round eh! 8) May bump into you and the great Hughie one day :lol: And what is it to be, Glaramara or Grasmere :?

Don't mind Binsey tbh at least is is an individual fell with a very fine view. Burnbank is a case of "is this it?" Anyway it might be a slow walk up Glaramara tomorrow, the pull of snow and sun is just too great but might well make for tough day. On my tod again tomorrow, apart from Hughie of course so again it's a big thank you to my understanding wife once again :D
johnkaysleftleg
Hill Bagger

Postby Alteknacker » Sat Mar 25, 2017 1:22 am

Heck, that's a phenomenal set of photos, B&W and colour, even by your standards. :clap: :clap: :clap: I think you could make practically any hills look attractive!

And these are undoubtedly that. Noted!

This was a day seriously well spent, for sure.
Alteknacker
Scrambler

Munros:176   Corbetts:33
Fionas:1   
Hewitts:264
Wainwrights:118   

Postby Mal Grey » Sat Mar 25, 2017 1:21 pm

Superb images as always! Looks like a nice round for views, that's for sure.
Mal Grey
Wanderer

Munros:113   Corbetts:23
Fionas:12   
Sub 2000:9   Hewitts:116
Wainwrights:71   Islands:6
Location: Surrey, probably in a canoe! www.wildernessisastateofmind.co.uk

Postby johnkaysleftleg » Mon Mar 27, 2017 12:39 pm

Alteknacker wrote:Heck, that's a phenomenal set of photos, B&W and colour, even by your standards. :clap: :clap: :clap: I think you could make practically any hills look attractive!

And these are undoubtedly that. Noted!

This was a day seriously well spent, for sure.

Mal Grey wrote:Superb images as always! Looks like a nice round for views, that's for sure.

Thanks guys It's a pleasure to share.
johnkaysleftleg
Hill Bagger

3 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Outside Scotland