walkhighlands

This board helps you to share your walking route experiences in England and Wales... or overseas.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

A short round from Seathwaite

A short round from Seathwaite

Postby Guinessman » Tue Apr 04, 2017 10:54 am

Wainwrights included on this walk: Base Brown, Seathwaite Fell

Hewitts included on this walk: Base Brown

Date walked: 03/04/2017

Time taken: 3

Distance: 10 km

Ascent: 759m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Just back from a mini break to the lakes. The Wainwright bagging continues and on Saturday I was on Walla Crag, Cat Bells and Fleetwith Pike, Sunday was on Grike, Crag fell, Caw and lank Rigg. It was also the first time out camping this year. having sold my campervan its a return to canvas and on Saturday night I pitched on the Buttermere side at the bottom of Honister pass and on Sunday at Braithwaite camp site. On Monday I knew the weather was a bit iffy and with a return home required opted for a shorter day for two Wainwrights of Seathwaite Fell and Base Brown. Its amazing to think that prior to even thinking about doing the Wainwrights I will have walked past these fells, particularly Seathaite Fell, possibly hundreds off times without going to their tops.
An early start meant I was on my way at 8.30 and took the track off to Stockley bridge. The morning was cool and the wind fresh. Took the path up towards Styhead and as you get up past the first rise and the path levels up there is a small cairn with a path through the grass rising up the gully shown in the first picture. The path becomes more pronounced as you climb higher. The path takes you the cairn on Arron crags. Checking the map there would seem to be 3 cairns on the fell so I did them all on the route over to Sprinkling tarn. By now the wind had picked up and was bitter and even at this height it was hat and gilet on.
When I was on Seathwaite fell I was looking across to Green gable and the slopes leading to Base Brown and I could see a faint track contouring from the Styhead shelter across the open fell and leading to the col between Green gable and Base Brown. Once at the shelter I set off contouring, Scottish style making your own route, and easily walked across on a rising line to the col. It was a far better route, given the windy conditions, than going up to Windy gap and Green Gable. From there it was an easy rise to Base Brown with the wind at my back. I had considered going down the northern shoulder of Base brown, a route I hadn't been on before, but with wind as strong as it was, I opted for the quicker way and took the trade route to Sour milk gill. On the way down spoke to several people dressed in t shirts and shorts who had come up from warm valley about the winds higher up.
A quick round, only 6 miles and done and dusted in 3 1/2 hrs.

ImageDSC00716

ImageDSC00705

ImageDSC00707

ImageDSC00709

ImageDSC00711

ImageDSC00713
Guinessman
Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:52
Fionas:27   Donalds:89
Hewitts:142
Wainwrights:214   Islands:15

Re: A short round from Seathwaite

Postby johnkaysleftleg » Thu Apr 06, 2017 10:09 am

Some great views to be had from these two fells, shame about the wind necessitating altering the route but I'm sure it was still great to be out.
johnkaysleftleg
Hill Bagger

Munros:25   Corbetts:11
Fionas:11   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:7   Hewitts:172
Wainwrights:214   Islands:8

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Outside Scotland