walkhighlands

This board helps you to share your walking route experiences in England and Wales... or overseas.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

A Dry Day, a Wet Dog and a Stuck Foot

A Dry Day, a Wet Dog and a Stuck Foot

Postby johnkaysleftleg » Fri May 26, 2017 9:41 am

Hewitts included on this walk: Baugh Fell (Tarn Rigg Hill)

Date walked: 07/05/2017

Distance: 15 km

Ascent: 700m

3 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Another solo outing (well, just Hughie and me) was in the offing this weekend but I decided to give the Lakes a miss and head for the dales instead. My target, I decided was that great big lump of Baugh Fell which inhabits a quite huge chunk of map space. The route which appealed to me most was following the River Rawthey, and Rawthey Gill up onto the vast plateau before a return to Uldale, a route that has already had a few reports on here so I'll try to not be too detailed.

I was the first car, not that many will be expected at the road end in Uldale on a beautiful morning with a few clumps of clag still floating about the fells. Wild boar fell in particular was being shy and hiding but fortunately Baugh Fell looked OK.

We set off up the farm road, following having to return to the car when I realised I hadn't locked it :roll: and quite quickly decided upon a diversion. Rather than pass through the farm we headed down to the river so to follow its course for more of the way.

ImageHowgills from Parking spot by Anthony Young, on Flickr

ImageA little early clag still hanging about by Anthony Young, on Flickr

ImageWalking down trough the trees by Anthony Young, on Flickr

Although the river level was unsurprisingly quite low This decision was quickly vindicated as this is a very beautiful water course with many waterfalls as it makes a spectacular journey down from the high ground. The downside of this route was an increasing number of crossings, not a problem today, and having to clamber up the steep slopes to avoid potential struggles as it passed through wooded gorges. All of this, and messing about taking photos delayed progress considerably but it was worth it to see the quite beautiful cascades in Winn Stone Gill in particular.

ImageFirst of many waterfalls by Anthony Young, on Flickr

ImagePath above the gorge by Anthony Young, on Flickr

ImageBack down next to the river by Anthony Young, on Flickr

Waterfalls in Whin Stone Gill by Anthony Young, on Flickr

...and again by Anthony Young, on Flickr

River Rawthey by Anthony Young, on Flickr

And another waterfall by Anthony Young, on Flickr

yes you guessed it... by Anthony Young, on Flickr

Imageabove the gorge once again by Anthony Young, on Flickr

ImageLooking up river by Anthony Young, on Flickr

By the time I reached the prominent ruins by the river I was already feeling the effect of uneven underfoot conditions and many mini climbs so it was a relief to get a bit of easier ground to walk on. I continued hopping from one side of the river to the other depending where the grass looked greenest. Soon enough I reached the start of the Gill and headed off up it. In all honesty this hadn't felt like a fell walk at all up to this point and that general feel was to continue up the gentle gradient of the Gill.

ImageRuin by the Rawthey by Anthony Young, on Flickr

Eroded rocks in the Rawthey by Anthony Young, on Flickr

ImageRawthey Gill Foot by Anthony Young, on Flickr

ImageStarting off up the Gill by Anthony Young, on Flickr

ImageConfluence with Swere Gill by Anthony Young, on Flickr

ImageWaterfall in Rawthey Gill by Anthony Young, on Flickr

Given the shelter from any wind and the sunshine this was hot work and it was during a stop to have a breather that I looked down and to my horror saw Hughie blissfully coating himself in a big pile of wet sheep muck :roll:
Well if you're a dog desiring of becoming incredibly smelly and dirty it's not wise to try and achieve this right next to a small plunge pool at the foot of a waterfall. Several dunkings later I had a relatively clean but very wet and annoyed West Highland Terrier. Some of you may feel sorry for Hughie but if you've ever tried sharing a car with a dog that's been rolling in s***e I'm sure you'd have done the same. Washing done I had a bite to eat before continuing up the Gill.

ImageUnhappy dog by Anthony Young, on Flickr

ImageRawthey Gill by Anthony Young, on Flickr

ImageGill Head in sight by Anthony Young, on Flickr

I left the Gill before the head and attempted to make a bee line for the summit. This would in ordinary circumstances be impossible but on this day the peat was bone dry and spongy and provided very nice walking up to the high point of the upland mass. Identifying the very top is nigh on impossible so a wander about close to the meeting of the walls was had before heading off following the wall. The views towards the other big fells of the Dales were very nice but the view was certainly better from the very slightly lower western top, Knoutberry Haw.

ImageClimbing out of the Gill by Anthony Young, on Flickr

ImageViews to Wild Boar Fell by Anthony Young, on Flickr

ImageSome rocky ground by Anthony Young, on Flickr

ImageHowgills peeking above the plateau by Anthony Young, on Flickr

ImageEast Tarns by Anthony Young, on Flickr

ImageYorkshires Highest by Anthony Young, on Flickr

ImageSmall dog, big landscape by Anthony Young, on Flickr

ImageBaugh Fell summit or thereabouts by Anthony Young, on Flickr

ImageFollow the wall by Anthony Young, on Flickr

ImageTarn at Swarth Gill Head by Anthony Young, on Flickr

ImageKnoutberry Haw by Anthony Young, on Flickr

ImageLooking over to Calf Top by Anthony Young, on Flickr

ImageLooking down to Sedburgh by Anthony Young, on Flickr

ImageHowgills by Anthony Young, on Flickr

The return route to the car looked very straight forward and for a while it was, nice walking over firm ground with a little trod to follow. This continued until around the area of West Baugh Fell Tarn. I stopped at the large cairn and had another bite to eat looking longingly at the firm looking trod heading west. I Wondered where it ended up but was fairly certain it wouldn't be anywhere near the car. I continued North over rough annoying terrain and soon realised I'd managed to miss the tarn completely, I briefly considered going back to find it but decided against it given the fun I had ahead.

ImageCurrick with views to WBF and Swarth Fell by Anthony Young, on Flickr

It was probably complacency that led me into the bog, the ground had been so dry I wasn't factoring in any problems of this nature and was just attempting to make a bee line for the bridge. Perhaps the stricken sheep should have also alerted me to the potential danger but no I plodded on past it and straight into some very unpleasant ground. Bogs are bad when wet but when nearly dry they can be even worse as it closed over my boot and stuck it fast :shock: . A brief panic later, caused by my other foot starting to sink as I wrestled with my suck foot, I turned tail and returned to the dead sheep and exited the bog to the East. Who knows how long I'd have been stuck there if I hadn't managed to extricate myself, I saw nobody else all day but given I'd left a route card with Nicola I'm sure they'd have found me eventually :shock: wouldn't they?

ImageHeading back to the car by Anthony Young, on Flickr (click on pic for big version)

ImageArrant Haw by Anthony Young, on Flickr

ImageUldale by Anthony Young, on Flickr

Once out of the clutches of the sheep killing morras It was simple enough to make my way back to the path along the river, cross over the bridge and return to the car. This was a strange fell walk in many ways with the first half not feeling like a fell walk at all. The dry conditions made the summit plateau a far more pleasant place that it probably usually is but I certainly learned a lesson on the way down about respecting the hills. Baugh Fell is not without merit but as with many I'm not sure I'll be rushing back any time soon.

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

johnkaysleftleg
Hill Bagger

Munros:25   Corbetts:11
Fionas:11   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:7   Hewitts:172
Wainwrights:214   Islands:8

Re: A Dry Day, a Wet Dog and a Stuck Foot

Postby KatTai » Fri May 26, 2017 6:34 pm

LOL! Hughie did not look impressed by his bath! The advantage with mine is they love the water so need no encouragement to dive in!

Great photos :D
KatTai
Wanderer

Munros:52   Corbetts:16
Fionas:12   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:53   
Islands:32

Postby trailmasher » Fri May 26, 2017 8:17 pm

Nice one JKLL :clap: and I remember it well especially trying to drag E up the waterfalls :lol: but at least I didn't have to dunk her to clean her up :lol: Shame about missing the tarn as it's well worth a visit and a nice place to stop for a break 8) I can't sympathise with Hughie this time as we had a dog that used to roll in unspeakable objects if he got the chance :crazy: :roll:
trailmasher
Mountaineer

Munros:13   
Hewitts:179
Wainwrights:214   

Postby dav2930 » Sat May 27, 2017 9:48 pm

Crikey, glad you managed to extricate your foot from that bog JK! The alternative doesn't bear thinking about :shock: What would poor Hughie have done?

Maybe not the finest of fells to be on but those waterfalls in the gill look beautiful. Must have a look up there one of these days - and I'll be mindful of the bogs thanks to your report! :lol:
dav2930
Ambler

Munros:244   Corbetts:14
Fionas:18   Donalds:56
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:164
Wainwrights:214   Islands:2

Postby Mal Grey » Sun May 28, 2017 11:04 am

That river approach looks delightful, Hughie's expression is highly amusing, and the bog sounds horrible!
Mal Grey
Wanderer

Munros:113   Corbetts:23
Fionas:12   
Sub 2000:9   Hewitts:116
Wainwrights:71   Islands:6
Location: Surrey, probably in a canoe! www.wildernessisastateofmind.co.uk

Postby johnkaysleftleg » Tue Jun 06, 2017 8:32 pm

KatTai wrote:LOL! Hughie did not look impressed by his bath! The advantage with mine is they love the water so need no encouragement to dive in!

Great photos :D

Thank you, Hughie is no fan of water so he really should have thought it through!

trailmasher wrote:Nice one JKLL :clap: and I remember it well especially trying to drag E up the waterfalls :lol: but at least I didn't have to dunk her to clean her up :lol: Shame about missing the tarn as it's well worth a visit and a nice place to stop for a break 8) I can't sympathise with Hughie this time as we had a dog that used to roll in unspeakable objects if he got the chance :crazy: :roll:

Cheers TM, having now read several times that the tarn can be missed I'm feeling a bit daft.

dav2930 wrote:Crikey, glad you managed to extricate your foot from that bog JK! The alternative doesn't bear thinking about :shock: What would poor Hughie have done?

Maybe not the finest of fells to be on but those waterfalls in the gill look beautiful. Must have a look up there one of these days - and I'll be mindful of the bogs thanks to your report! :lol:

The bog was a very alarming moment, I've not quite stepped in one that clamped my foot so well. It was dry enough for Hughie to potter around on top of the green sponge, but not me! I'm not sure what he'd have done to be honest, probably send me bonkers whining until help arrived :lol:

Mal Grey wrote:That river approach looks delightful, Hughie's expression is highly amusing, and the bog sounds horrible!

The Rawthey is a very beautiful river and well worth a visit, the bog less so :wink:
johnkaysleftleg
Hill Bagger

Munros:25   Corbetts:11
Fionas:11   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:7   Hewitts:172
Wainwrights:214   Islands:8

3 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Outside Scotland