walkhighlands

This board helps you to share your walking route experiences in England and Wales... or overseas.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Wainwright wrap up

Wainwright wrap up

Postby Guinessman » Thu Jun 08, 2017 10:43 am

Wainwrights included on this walk: Cold Pike

Hewitts included on this walk: Cold Pike

Date walked: 18/05/2017

Time taken: 5

6 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

After Munro compleation October last year I felt an incredible low in the weeks following and was stuck for things to do. The backpacking season, for me anyway, was over for the year and the prospect of another Scottish trip seemed far away. I had been going to the Lakes since I was a lad and had climbed Silver Howe in Langdale as a lad, my first ever hill at the age of 8. I had never considered doing the Wainwrights and had never looked at a list of the Wainwrights. The Lakes are fairly local to me, 2 hour drive to Borrowdale, Ullswater even shorter and for years I had been doing day trips all year round to keep the fitness up. The trouble was I had been repeating the same hills for years, The Scafells, Helvellyn, Fairfield and Pillar I must have been on 50+ times each.

Checking the WH map I was on 144 on 01/11/2016. I hadn't realised some hills that were Wainwrights I had been walking past ignoring them for years. Hills like Seathwaite Fell and Base Brown I must have walked past 100 of times without going onto their tops. So from November last year I began walking the hills that I had never been on. Still having the van at that time was a bonus getting into areas such as the east of Ullswater or doing multi day trips over the winter days around Skiddaw area and Whinlatter. The number was quickly whittled down and come the 18th May I was down to 1, Cold Pike at the end of the Crinkles another hill that I had ignored when doing the Crinkles.

I had been due to meet 2 mates on Monday 22nd May and did want to wait until then to finish off but a check of the forecast was poor and the 18th, on which I was free was perfect, so a solo trip it was then. The drive over to Langdale takes an 1/2 hour extra so I travelled with at least £8 in change ready for the car parking. On arriving I was very surprised to be able to easily park at the old bridge ,for free, between the campsite entrance and the ODG entrance. Suited and booted and with sun screen on it was off at 9.30am up towards the farm and onto The Band. Last time I was this way it was with the dog, who is now 6 year's retired and if I recall pulled on the lead all the way to the top so today was a pleasant amble up The Three Tarns.

At the Three Tarns it was surprisingly cold with a fresh wind blowing over the tops requiring shelter for a break and change of clothing. From there its a simple matter of following various paths as you wind your way between all the tops. I did bottle it at "The bad step" I just didn't fancy the climb down. I've done it few times up over with no issues but didn't like the look of the climb down on the day, so it was back to the top and around the path passing several persons who were also giving it a miss. It was then on to the last top before the short walk across the moorland path and easy walk onto Cold Pike. No celebration just a couple of photos and then down to the tarn and then onto the ridiculously steep path down into Oxendale and back to the car. I was back down for 2.30pm and had a couple of hours to spare so I drove around to Rydal water and walked up onto Loughrigg fell via The Terrace. The only other time I had been on here the weather was abysmal so it was nice to get a view.

That's The Wainwrights done. I will still go to the Lakes, in fact I was on Scafell Pike yesterday Been looking at other targets, might fancy the Donalds next, only 89 of them and not too far to travel.

ImageDSC00989

ImageDSC00991

ImageDSC00993

ImageDSC00997

ImageDSC01004

ImageDSC01005

ImageDSC01008

ImageDSC01009

ImageDSC01013

ImageDSC01016

ImageDSC01018
Guinessman
Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:52
Fionas:27   Donalds:89
Hewitts:142
Wainwrights:214   Islands:15

Re: Wainwright wrap up

Postby trailmasher » Thu Jun 08, 2017 12:00 pm

Well done Guinessman :clap: :clap: a fair while coming but got there eventually :lol: No shame in 'bottling it' as I did the same last time I was there. Got on the first ledge and then couldn't see my next move down apart from a fast one onto the rocks below :crazy: :roll: . A lot easier going up than down when all is in sight 8) Again, well done on a long journey :clap:
trailmasher
Mountaineer

Munros:13   
Hewitts:179
Wainwrights:214   

Postby Mal Grey » Thu Jun 08, 2017 6:54 pm

Congratulations on finishing your W's. That's one of my favourite bits of the Lake District too, especially when you add Bowfell to the round as well, and finish in the Old Dungeon Ghyll!! :clap:
Mal Grey
Wanderer

Munros:113   Corbetts:23
Fionas:12   
Sub 2000:9   Hewitts:116
Wainwrights:71   Islands:6
Location: Surrey, probably in a canoe! www.wildernessisastateofmind.co.uk

Postby dav2930 » Thu Jun 08, 2017 10:49 pm

Congrats on compleating the Wainwrights GM. :clap: :clap: What better way to bag Cold Pike than by a traverse of the Crinkles? You picked a nice day for it too and got some cracking photos.

The Donalds sounds a good objective; I think I've come round to that plan myself as I can reach most of them easily in a day. Never bothered with the Southern Uplands until quite recently but they've grown on me. :)
dav2930
Ambler

Munros:244   Corbetts:14
Fionas:18   Donalds:56
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:164
Wainwrights:214   Islands:2

Postby rockhopper » Fri Jun 09, 2017 1:25 am

Congratulations :clap: that's quite a haul since November last year :thumbup: Will be watching out for you and dav2930 on the donalds :wink: - cheers :)
rockhopper

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:136   Donalds:89+20
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:3   Islands:20

Postby Sick Kid » Fri Jun 09, 2017 8:10 pm

Well done sir! Quite an achievement there :clap: :clap: :clap:
Had my first taster of the Lakes earlier this year and thoroughly enjoyed it, may have to go back for more :wink:

As for the Donalds, they're well worth doing. A part of the world I ignored for too long....I've only 2 left myself, 1at either end of the Ochils :roll:
Sick Kid
Mountain Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:219   Donalds:89+50
Sub 2000:364   Hewitts:26
Wainwrights:13   

Postby Guinessman » Sat Jun 10, 2017 1:52 pm

trailmasher wrote:Well done Guinessman :clap: :clap: a fair while coming but got there eventually :lol: No shame in 'bottling it' as I did the same last time I was there. Got on the first ledge and then couldn't see my next move down apart from a fast one onto the rocks below :crazy: :roll: . A lot easier going up than down when all is in sight 8) Again, well done on a long journey :clap:

Thanks for that trailmasher. same for me at the bad step, didn't fancy the angled rocks at the top, and drop

Mal Grey wrote:Congratulations on finishing your W's. That's one of my favourite bits of the Lake District too, especially when you add Bowfell to the round as well, and finish in the Old Dungeon Ghyll!! :clap:

Thanks for that Mal. Normally stay away from Langdale because of the parking charges and its an extra 1/2 hr drive but is a great valley.

dav2930 wrote:Congrats on compleating the Wainwrights GM. :clap: :clap: What better way to bag Cold Pike than by a traverse of the Crinkles? You picked a nice day for it too and got some cracking photos.

The Donalds sounds a good objective; I think I've come round to that plan myself as I can reach most of them easily in a day. Never bothered with the Southern Uplands until quite recently but they've grown on me. :)

Thanks for that Dav, think I might have a look at The Donalds in the winter.

rockhopper wrote:Congratulations :clap: that's quite a haul since November last year :thumbup: Will be watching out for you and dav2930 on the donalds :wink: - cheers :)

Sick Kid wrote:Well done sir! Quite an achievement there :clap: :clap: :clap:
Had my first taster of the Lakes earlier this year and thoroughly enjoyed it, may have to go back for more :wink:

As for the Donalds, they're well worth doing. A part of the world I ignored for too long....I've only 2 left myself, 1at either end of the Ochils :roll:

Thanks for that rockhopper and Sick Kid. any tips on The Donalds?
Guinessman
Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:52
Fionas:27   Donalds:89
Hewitts:142
Wainwrights:214   Islands:15

Postby johnkaysleftleg » Thu Jun 22, 2017 8:59 pm

Well done on completing the wainwrights Gman :clap:
johnkaysleftleg
Hill Bagger

Munros:25   Corbetts:11
Fionas:11   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:7   Hewitts:172
Wainwrights:214   Islands:8

Postby simon-b » Wed Jun 28, 2017 8:33 pm

Well done, Guinessman! Cold Pike is a nice one to complete on. The bad step on the Crinkles is a tricky one to get started in descent - I remember seeming to have to make a bit of a move around a corner to get going. But once you start moving down, the holds are there and it's not so bad - they're not too hard to find. Maybe you'll give it another go one day! Having said that, I've done the bad step once up and once down, but before that I'd dodged it twice each way.
simon-b
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:30
Fionas:7   Donalds:12
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:155
Wainwrights:214   Islands:4

6 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Outside Scotland