walkhighlands

This board helps you to share your walking route experiences in England and Wales... or overseas.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Via Ferrata Eggishorn, Switzerland.

Via Ferrata Eggishorn, Switzerland.

Postby BertvdBeu » Wed Sep 29, 2010 7:47 pm

Date walked: 15/09/2010

Time taken: 2

Ascent: 365m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

After walking our West Highland Way and Munro's in June of 2010, we went on vacation again in September 2010. The trip took us to the canton of Valais in Switzerland. We settled down at the campsite in Visp. In addition to several hiking tours in the Saas Valley, the valley of Türtmann and Baltschieder, also near Simplon, we have completed the Via Ferrata Eggishorn.
We started this tour from the small village Fiesch per cable car, where we reached the cable car station 'Eggishorn’ at 2893 m above sea level. From here, we had already a nice view at the Aletch glacier.
P1050996 bew.jpg
already a nice view of the Aletch glacier

To the entry level of the Via Ferrata we followed the signposts and in approx. 20 minutes in a westerly direction. We reached the starting point at 2562 m above sea level. Here we put on our helmet, climbing harness and the Via Ferrata-set and we were off.
The level of difficulty is indicated as KS 2-3, thus a not-too-difficult Via Ferrata.
While completing a Via Ferrata (= VF), it is not the intention that you hold the steel cable constantly, but you have to put as much as possible your hands and feet on the rock to move on. Just like scrambling. The cable is simply as a safeguard to which you are connected.

The first part of the VF Eggishorn is very easy,
P1060001 bew.jpg
the first easy part

but soon we see the challenging bridge made out of aluminium ladder parts.
One by one, we wobble to the other side, not realizing that there is only up to 200 m air under the ladder…. a lot of air and than hard rock. Not suitable for those with a fear of heights.
P1050998 bew.jpg
a lot of air under my shoes

A moment later, after some scrambling, the next challenge appears: the Nepalese bridge. Three steel cables in triangular form, where you have to walk over the bottom cable. In spite of the fact that this bridge looks stable, it is too wobbly for us. Fortunately, we can reach the other side of the bridge via the fixed cable, attached to the rocks.
What follows are some vertical climbs, using u-shaped steel pens connected to the rock.
P1060004 bew.jpg
vertical ladder

The most beautiful part is coming on. Two vertical rock towers need to be climbed.
P1060006 bew.jpg
nice climbing at the tower

The real rock climber will love this part.
Through fun climbing, you will reach the highest points of the first tower. Than a vertical descent and up to the second tower again. A short wobbly ladder bridge follows.
P1060008 bew.jpg
a last wooden ladder bridge

And then there is the end of the cable and so the end of the Via Ferrata, which we reached in 2 hours time.
To go to the summit of the Eggishorn, we walked through rock blocks up to the cable car station. And from there, we walked to the top through more rock blocks,
P1060013 bew.jpg
up to summit Eggishorn

And then there is the summit of the Eggishorn, 2926 m above sea level after 20 minutes. On top there is an Iron cross.
P1060011 bew.jpg
summit Eggishorn
From there we had a wonderful view at the Aletch glacier, surrounded by snow covered mountain peaks.
IMG_6543 bew 1024.jpg
a wonderful view at the Aletch glacier

We see the Eiger, the Mönch and the Aletchhorn, all wonderful to see. After a brief period of time enjoying the view, we run into the cable car station and go on a luxury way, per cable downwards, back to Fiesch.
A really nice day out, not too difficult for people who have some skills in Via Ferrata and rock climbing.
Last edited by BertvdBeu on Tue Jan 15, 2013 4:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BertvdBeu
Munro compleatist

Re: Via Ferrata Eggishorn, Switzerland.

Postby blueyed » Thu Sep 30, 2010 8:47 am

wow, great pics, great walk :)
blueyed
Hill Bagger

Munros:50   Corbetts:13
Fionas:5   Donalds:4
Sub 2000:7   Hewitts:4
Wainwrights:5   

Postby malky_c » Thu Sep 30, 2010 9:45 am

Thanks for posting that. I've always fancied doing one of these. Very little chance of this sort of thing being developed in the UK, as most climbers are against this kind of aid. There is a short one in the Lake District, but I think it costs about £20 a go. Personally I think there could be scope for a couple more, but I doubt it will ever happen!
8)
malky_c

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:219   Donalds:80+37
Sub 2000:315   Hewitts:281
Wainwrights:140   Islands:39

Postby colgregg » Thu Sep 30, 2010 9:46 am

It's a superb part of the world. That must be a fantastic experience to complete something like that. I've only done the touristy stuff (Jungfrau train, cable cars and the like) into the high alps. Just to be able to get up above the snow line and look out over the peaks and glaciers is reward enough although I'd love to give it a lash before I get "over the hill".
colgregg
Munro compleatist

Munros:15   Corbetts:5
Fionas:5   
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:181
Wainwrights:214   

Postby BertvdBeu » Thu Sep 30, 2010 6:01 pm

colgregg wrote: Just to be able to get up above the snow line and look out over the peaks and glaciers is reward enough although I'd love to give it a lash before I get "over the hill".

Just give it a try. There will be mountainguides enough to carry you up ....
But I think a cable car is cheaper than a guide !

kind regards
Bert
BertvdBeu
Munro compleatist

Postby gaffr » Thu Sep 30, 2010 6:45 pm

That view of the great Alletsch glacier brings back more than a few memories. The longest glacier in all of the Alpes. The classic triple medial moraine was one of the most drooled over images in my school geography book. The retreat and shrinkage of this glacier has been alarming in recent times. Several hundred feet of ladders now required ro reach the Koncordia hutte from the glacier surface. I can recall reaching the Aletsch glacier from somewhere close to Fiesch through a disused tunnel, maybe it was for water in the past? after flogging our way up the glacier we stayed overnight at the Koncordia hutte before ascending the wee side glacier to get over the Wyssnallen, as a bit of conditioning, before reaching the Finsteraarhorn hutte prior to a rather wintery ascent of the Finsteraarhorn, which for me is one of the grand peaks of the Alpes. This is a fabulous part of the Bernese Oberland.
gaffr
Munro compleatist

Munros:281   Corbetts:203
Fionas:33   Donalds:14
Sub 2000:11   Hewitts:25
Wainwrights:11   Islands:17

Postby BertvdBeu » Thu Sep 30, 2010 6:57 pm

gaffr wrote:That view of the great Alletsch glacier brings back more than a few memories. The longest glacier in all of the Alpes. ............ This is a fabulous part of the Bernese Oberland.

Thnx for your reply.
I understand your reaction after reading your post about the Swiss tour on the Lyskamm.
Great you 've done that. Great pic of the arete !
I agree on your last remark: Valais is one of the most beautiful places I've ever been.

kind regards
Bert
BertvdBeu
Munro compleatist

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Outside Scotland