walkhighlands

This board helps you to share your walking route experiences in England and Wales... or overseas.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Little Town octet, a Newlands double horseshoe

Little Town octet, a Newlands double horseshoe

Postby simon-b » Sat Jul 22, 2017 3:25 pm

Wainwrights included on this walk: Ard Crags, Cat Bells, Dale Head, High Spy, Hindscarth, Knott Rigg, Maiden Moor, Robinson

Hewitts included on this walk: Dale Head, High Spy, Hindscarth, Robinson

Date walked: 08/07/2017

Time taken: 8.1

Distance: 21.9 km

Ascent: 1520m

3 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Track_2017-07-08 163118.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

There's more than one excellent horseshoe route available from Newlands. The most well known is the circuit of the valley from Catbells to Hindscarth and Scope End. Another is the Keskadale round traversing Newlands Hause, from Robinson to Ard Crags, a walk I did with pamfox last year. Usually I've done these rounds clockwise, to take Scope End downhill for the views, and to take High Snab Bank (Robinson) uphill. The double horseshoe I'd planned omitted these two sections, so I went anti-clockwise for variety. On a pleasant sunny day, this proved to be a perfectly doable walk.

I parked at Little Town, and made the short road walk to Rigg Beck, and took the path towards Ard Crags.

IMG_4389.JPG
Approaching Ard Crags alongside Rigg Beck

It was a nice climb over Aikin Knott and onto Ard Crags to get the circuit started.

IMG_4398.JPG
Pillar and High Stile range from Ard Crags (Knott Rigg in front)

Moving along to Knott Rigg, it was still quite early, and these hills were very quiet. Coming down towards Newlands Hause, I first began to encounter people.

IMG_4400.JPG
Descending from Knott Rigg

IMG_4402.JPG
Dropping to Newlands Hause, Moss Force in the background

As might be expected, a sunny Saturday was making Lakeland very popular. There's still no need for a pedestrian crossing at Newlands Hause, though, and soon I was ascending near Moss Beck.

IMG_4404.JPG
Robinson from near Moss Force

IMG_4406.JPG
Looking back along Keskadale to Blencathra, from near Moss Force

I made the detour to High Snockrigg. This is a flat-topped, grassy hill, but with good views.

IMG_4411.JPG
High Stile range from High Snockrigg

IMG_4414.JPG
Grasmoor from High Snockrigg

Buttermere Moss was now directly between me and Robinson. A few other walkers were also having fun with this notorious marsh, but before long it was painlessly crossed. Then came the final pull up onto the Wainwright called Robinson.

IMG_4416.JPG
Crummock Water (two sections) and Loweswater from Robinson

The third Wainwright summit of the day was reached, with quite a number of other people around to chat to, before setting off for the journey to Hindscarth.

IMG_4419.JPG
Leaving Robinson, Fleetwith Pike overtopped by Scafell range (Scafell Pike hidden by Great Gable)

Wainwright number four was duly reached, and the main circuit of the Newlands Horseshoe joined, as I moved around towards Dale Head.

IMG_4423.JPG
Moving from Hindscarth to Dale Head (Scafell Pike now visible and Scafell hidden)

IMG_4425.JPG
Approaching Dale Head, looking over to High Spy (Blencathra and Helvellyn in the background)

The day's high point was reached, and I had plenty of company. Conditions were ideal; clear with pleasant sunshine, but not too hot.

IMG_4426.JPG
Looking along Newlands Valley to Skiddaw from Dale Head

Next I set off towards Dalehead Tarn, down the path that's a bit of a slog when doing the horseshoe the other way round.

IMG_4430.JPG
Descending to Dalehead Tarn

On reaching Dalehead Tarn it was apparent that the weather had really brought out the crowds. I made the turn left and uphill towards High Spy. At nine years old, this had been the first 2000 foot mountain I'd climbed.

IMG_4437.JPG
Ascending High Spy, looking back at Dale Head

It had also been a clear, sunny day on this summit back on that first visit with my dad. I could still remember some of the views from then.

IMG_4440.JPG
High Spy's summit

High Spy's big cairn was left behind and a detour to another cairn, on Blea Crag, was made. This is always worth doing on this route when the view is there to be had.

IMG_4441.JPG
Derwent Water from Blea Crag

A detour is also necessary from the main path to visit Maiden Moor, even though it is a Wainwright, and the views from the escarpment thus followed are good ones.

IMG_4443.JPG
Grasmoor range from near Maiden Moor

Moving on from Maiden Moor's flat top, I headed down towards Hause Gate.

IMG_4445.JPG
Moving towards Catbells from Maiden Moor

It could be seen from a distance that the summit of Catbells was thronging with people. It is a lovely little hill, and you can't blame all those folk for wanting to be there on a day like this. There was still room for me to touch the highest point when I arrived to claim my eighth and final Wainwright of the day.

IMG_4447.JPG
On Catbells

IMG_4449.JPG
Hindscarth and Robinson from Catbells

Then it was time for the last descent of the route.

IMG_4450.JPG
Coming down from Catbells

IMG_4451.JPG
Descending back to Newlands Valley, looking across to Causey Pike

Eventually I was back on the road in Newlands Valley, and it was clear that you don't always have to be on the tops for great scenery.

IMG_4454.JPG
Returning towards Little Town, with a last look at Hindscarth, Scope End and Robinson.

Back at the car park, I put the loose change in the honesty box; something I'd forgotten to do in the morning. It's a good job it wasn't a ticket machine.
simon-b
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:30
Fionas:7   Donalds:12
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:155
Wainwrights:214   Islands:4

Re: Little Town octet, a Newlands double horseshoe

Postby johnkaysleftleg » Sat Jul 22, 2017 9:28 pm

Wonderful fells in that area Simon making for a great full day in the fells, not often you walk over nine tops where every one has outstanding views.
johnkaysleftleg
Hill Bagger

Munros:25   Corbetts:11
Fionas:11   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:7   Hewitts:172
Wainwrights:214   Islands:8

Postby trailmasher » Mon Jul 24, 2017 7:11 pm

Whoa! What a great walk with some fine pics there Simon-b :clap: :clap: It looked like a gloriously clear day 8) something that I have been missing lately :? Well done on a great and different circuit of Newlands :clap:
trailmasher
Mountaineer

Munros:13   
Hewitts:179
Wainwrights:214   

Postby simon-b » Tue Jul 25, 2017 11:13 pm

johnkaysleftleg wrote:Wonderful fells in that area Simon making for a great full day in the fells, not often you walk over nine tops where every one has outstanding views.

Cheers Anthony. The views from a tenth top (according to Bill Birkett), Ill Crag just before Knott Rigg, weren't bad either.

trailmasher wrote:Whoa! What a great walk with some fine pics there Simon-b :clap: :clap: It looked like a gloriously clear day 8) something that I have been missing lately :? Well done on a great and different circuit of Newlands :clap:

Thanks, trailmasher, and yes, it was nice to catch some weather like that.
simon-b
Munro compleatist

Postby mamoset » Wed Jul 26, 2017 12:47 am

hey simon, looks like you got a great day for this "horseshoe" I did the same walk, in the opposite direction, in April. Very enjoyable :D
mamoset
Mountain Walker

Munros:256   Corbetts:6
Donalds:1
Hewitts:115
Wainwrights:214   Islands:5

Postby simon-b » Sun Jul 30, 2017 7:26 pm

mamoset wrote:hey simon, looks like you got a great day for this "horseshoe" I did the same walk, in the opposite direction, in April. Very enjoyable :D

Thanks mamoset. I'm not surprised someone else thought of combining these hills like this, whichever way round.
simon-b
Munro compleatist

Postby tenohfive » Sun Aug 06, 2017 8:53 pm

simon-b wrote:
mamoset wrote:hey simon, looks like you got a great day for this "horseshoe" I did the same walk, in the opposite direction, in April. Very enjoyable :D

Thanks mamoset. I'm not surprised someone else thought of combining these hills like this, whichever way round.

What a great horseshoe. I did the majority of those fells recently (some twice) but never thought to string them together like that and am kicking myself for it now.
tenohfive

Munros:2   
Hewitts:40
Wainwrights:44   

3 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Outside Scotland