walkhighlands

This board helps you to share your walking route experiences in England and Wales... or overseas.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Dartmoor

Dartmoor

Postby andy63 » Mon Aug 07, 2017 3:06 am

Hewitts included on this walk: High Willhays

Date walked: 12/06/2017

Time taken: 4.8

Distance: 17.4 km

Ascent: 624m

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

This was the first part of a 3-day trip down south to finish off the Hewitts in the West Country and South Wales.

Parts of Dartmoor,including High Willhays, are used as a military training area, and on certain days are closed to the public. You can check the times on the MOD website.

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/dartmoor-firing-programme

At least it's not as much bother as the Warcop Training Area up north- no need to apply for permit or anything.
So after checking that I wasn't likely to get blown up, I made the long drive down the motorway to Devon.
There are quicker ways than this to climb High Willhays, and I'm not sure when I'm likely to visit Dartmoor again, I decided to include a few neighboring hills, starting from Belstone.
There's a large free car park just outside the village

IMG_1085.JPG
Belstone car park

I walked through the village and down a minor road which becomes a path, before turning left up a faint path leading up the first hill, Belstone Tor.

IMG_1087.JPG
Belstone Tor

IMG_1089.JPG

IMG_1090.JPG

IMG_1091.JPG
Belstone Tor summit

I descended down the remains of the 'Irishman's Wall' and then followed a path around the edge of East Okement Farm.

IMG_1092.JPG

IMG_1094.JPG

IMG_1095.JPG
Wet river crossing

After an awkward river crossing I was soon ascending toward the next summit, East Mill Tor.

IMG_1096.JPG
East Mill Tor summit

From here there are good paths leading up to High Willhays, although I made a detour over rougher ground to avoid some cows.

IMG_1098.JPG
High Willhays ascent

IMG_1099.JPG
High Willhays summit

The neighboring top of Yes Tor is slightly lower but has a rockier summit.

IMG_1100.JPG
Yes Tor from High Willhays

IMG_1101.JPG
YesTor summit

Having climbed all the 2000 foot hills in southern England, I headed back down, visiting West Mill Tor and Rowtor on the way.

IMG_1102.JPG

IMG_1108.JPG
West Mill Tor

I think those rocks were on West Mill Tor, but I'm not sure, having got a few weeks behind with the walk reports. Whichever tor it was, it's a nice little scramble up to the top.

IMG_1104.JPG

IMG_1106.JPG

IMG_1109.JPG
Rowtor

IMG_1110.JPG
andy63

Munros:114   Corbetts:8
Fionas:13   Donalds:27+12
Sub 2000:3   Hewitts:316
Wainwrights:214   Islands:22

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Outside Scotland