walkhighlands

This board helps you to share your walking route experiences in England and Wales... or overseas.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Navigation? Just follow the crowds! (Galdhopiggen, Norway)

Navigation? Just follow the crowds! (Galdhopiggen, Norway)

Postby jacob » Thu Aug 10, 2017 10:16 am

Date walked: 26/07/2017

Distance: 14 km

Ascent: 1300m

5 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

3500 Square kilometers of barren rocks, mos, snow and ice. That is the Jotunheimen in Norway. A jawdropping beautiful area when you come driving in from the south taking route 55, that immediately reveals the spectator what this high mountain area is all about by showing it's sharp peaks of the Hurrungane mountainrange.

Jotunheimen is also home to Galdhopiggen, Norway's highest mountain, and with that also Scandinavia's and in fact Northern Europe's highest, at 2469 meters (8100 ft). Galdhopiggen is a gabbro peak that is surrounden by seven or eight large glaciers.

It hasn't always had this honour, as previously two other summits were considered to be higher: Snohetta and Glittertind. The latter has only recently proved to be the lower of the two, due to the melting of the meters thick glacier that covered it's summit.

Galdhopiggen can be summited in many different ways, but there's only two that do not require alpine skills and equipment. These two routes can therefore be really crowded on summer(holi)days. The first route starts at Juvasshytta, a mountainhut at 1850 meters. This route does require a guide though, as it crosses the Styggebrean, one of the three largest glaciers around Galdhopiggen. It is a very popular route, as it is only a 3 hour walk up.

The other route starts at a mountainhut/village called Spiterstulen, at about 1100 meters. This route has an ascend of about 1300 meters, and although there's no alpine skills required, it's still a long push to the top and back.
And crowded. Boy was it crowded.

We love our mountain adventures partly/mainly (undecided) because of the calm, the feeling of being away from it all, feeling small and insignificant, the nature and the loneliness. Well, forget about all that on Galdhopiggen. There's not a lot of things I'm good at. But it is with a bit of pride that I can say that when it comes to taking pictures, I am the mr Miyagi of not having anyone in the photo even when it's been taken in a crowd. The below pictures do not represent the actual circumstances, as we were walking in line with some other 100 to 200 people to reach the summit.

There was an advantage to this though. The weather wasn't all good on us and at times we were walking in thick mist or whiteouts. Getting lost or offtrack was impossible though. Just follow the rucksack 'n' @rse that are in front of you. They in turn follow the ones in front of them. And so on...the march of the penquins.

From Spiterstulen there's a bridge leading to the start of the walk. This is the view south, taken from the bridge:

SAM_0494 (2).jpg

Soon you leave Spiterstulen behind. Here it can be seen in the background:

SAM_0500 (2).jpg

The river we crossed is called Bukkeholsbekken. Once higher up, the view on it reappears from behind the slope:

SAM_0505 (2).jpg

The first small patches of snow are appearing:

SAM_0512 (2).jpg

And the larger ones we had to cross. The going through the snow is tough: the combination of a steep slope and soft, slightly watery snow.

SAM_0524 (2).jpg

Snow and boulderfields each take their turn. Both seem endless and it's the occasional uplift of clouds and the views it offers that keep the spirits high. Most of the time we saw nothing but cag though.

SAM_0532 (2).jpg

SAM_0538 (2).jpg

SAM_0539 (2).jpg

Most of the walk is just a steady going up. It's just a few time that before reascending, you have to descend a little. This is the mrs making her way down a steep cliff, just past Svellinosbrean, another of the three largest glaciers surrouding the mountain:

SAM_0554 (2).jpg

One might think: what is this jacob complaining about, these are pretty decent views. Well, this is an example of the largest part of the ascend:

SAM_0565.jpg

And this is what it looked like when skies were temporarily clearing up:

SAM_0563.jpg

So after a long push up, following the one in front of you, we arrived at the summit, where a small mountainhut can be found. Both the summit and the hut were crowded though, as at the same time as we did, a guided group came from the glacier. Noise. Loud voices. Screaming kids and punishing parents. This is not my idea of enjoying a summit. But as they all sought the warmth inside the hut, crowding it like ants, we stayed outside and enjoyed a bite and a hot soup in the cold. This is the mrs in front of the hut, not particularly enjoying the views:

SAM_0569 (2).jpg

But all swell that ends well: cloudlift. And that left us breathless. The guided group had gone and we had our views. This was so beautiful:

SAM_0573 (2).jpg

Ofcourse we weren't alone on the summit, so a very kind lady made this shot of us:

SAM_0578 (2).jpg

And we both took our own:

SAM_0593 (2).jpg

SAM_0602 (2).jpg

But nothing lasts forever. And I know this face. It's the: "can we go now, it's really starting to get cold now" face:

SAM_0609 (2).jpg

So reluctantly we went back down again. The open skies stayed though, offering us views on the descend we didn't have during the ascend:

SAM_0611 (2).jpg

SAM_0614 (2).jpg

And these are the guided groups crossing the glacier, giving a nice perspective on scale:

SAM_0621.jpg

SAM_0623 (2).jpg

SAM_0631 (2).jpg

SAM_0641.jpg

SAM_0654 (2).jpg

By this time the old knees were screaming for attention again. Throbbing heavy pains. I thought I'd learned in the few years that I've been alive, that all things move towards their end. Well, this path didn't. It went on forever. So I was very happy with the traditional way to come down Galdhopiggen: with the bumslide. There everywhere: strange traces through the snow, nicely rounded, some bigger, some smaller. All the crowds that visit this mountain everyday all go bumsliding down. The first bumslide is the steepest. And it's only after this first one that the mrs reminded me I was carrying the actioncam as well. So next video's bumslide is not the steepest and therefore not the fastest, but still it gives a good impression of the fastest descend I've ever undertaken despite my hurting knees:

Video:
" />

SAM_0652.jpg

A very impressive mountain, set in a simply stunning national park. Don't be put off by the crowds: the experience of the mountain makes up for it, easily.
Last edited by jacob on Sat Aug 12, 2017 1:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jacob

Munros:19   Corbetts:9
Fionas:4   
Hewitts:19

Re: Navigation? Just follow the crowds! (Galdhopiggen, Norwa

Postby Mal Grey » Thu Aug 10, 2017 12:04 pm

Excellent. Glad you managed to get some views, its an amazing viewpoint, very alpine.

I climbed this with my folks and two Norwegian friends in 1982. when I was 13. I don't remember too many people, when we left the hut on top there was just the guardian, singing to himself loudly as we departed. I do remember "glissading" down a very long snow slope on the way down, much to mum's horror.
Mal Grey
Wanderer

Munros:113   Corbetts:23
Fionas:12   
Sub 2000:9   Hewitts:116
Wainwrights:71   Islands:6
Location: Surrey, probably in a canoe! www.wildernessisastateofmind.co.uk

Postby jacob » Thu Aug 10, 2017 6:30 pm

Mal Grey wrote:Excellent. Glad you managed to get some views, its an amazing viewpoint, very alpine.

I climbed this with my folks and two Norwegian friends in 1982. when I was 13. I don't remember too many people, when we left the hut on top there was just the guardian, singing to himself loudly as we departed. I do remember "glissading" down a very long snow slope on the way down, much to mum's horror.

Thanks Mal.
I guess things were rather different in 1982. I was seven at the time, living in the flattest part of the Netherlands, never been abroad. I can imagine your mum's horror though, with her 13 year old sliding down a 2000+ mountain :roll: :lol:
jacob

Postby jacob » Thu Aug 10, 2017 6:35 pm

RTC wrote:Smashing report and photos.

I went up and down by your route 6 years ago yesterday when I was just a kid with a crazy dream. - 47 years older than Mal when he did it! Rocks were covered in wet snow which made progress very slow. Didn't see a thing from the top.

Have you done Glittertind? I did it the day after Galdhopiggen and found it a much nicer hill. Again, no views at the top but a very sunburnt nose as the sun must have been shining through the clouds.

Thanks RTC. 47 year old kid huh. Always a good sign :wink: . Very unlucky though you had no views.
We did decide to go back to Norway somewhere in the future, and immediately hang around Jotunheimen, instead of going here and there, for there is still much to explore. Glittertind was on my wishlist for this holiday, didn't get round to actually doing it, so it stays on the list. The sunburnt nose I think I can handle :lol:
jacob

Postby litljortindan » Fri Aug 11, 2017 7:43 pm

Tremendous looking area and great that it cleared up.
litljortindan
Ambler

Munros:154   Corbetts:67
Fionas:29   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:47   Hewitts:12
Wainwrights:10   

Postby dav2930 » Fri Aug 11, 2017 9:24 pm

Fascinating report giving a good insight of this area for those of us who've never been. It looks a wonderful sort of cross between Scotland and the Alps - the extent of the glaciers and snow-fields very impressive. I was surprised to see how popular the ascent is, but being Scandi's highest I suppose that's inevitable. Well done both of you for making the summit. Glad you got the views in the end. :clap: :clap:
dav2930
Ambler

Munros:244   Corbetts:14
Fionas:18   Donalds:56
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:164
Wainwrights:214   Islands:2

Postby jacob » Sat Aug 12, 2017 10:35 am

litljortindan wrote:Tremendous looking area and great that it cleared up.

Thanks litljortindan, I couldn't agree more.

dav2930 wrote:Fascinating report giving a good insight of this area for those of us who've never been. It looks a wonderful sort of cross between Scotland and the Alps - the extent of the glaciers and snow-fields very impressive. I was surprised to see how popular the ascent is, but being Scandi's highest I suppose that's inevitable. Well done both of you for making the summit. Glad you got the views in the end. :clap: :clap:

Thanks dav, it is a beautiful area for sure, but fully in it's own right. I wouldn't want to compare it to neither Scotland nor the Alps because I think it breathes a very distinct atmosphere.
I don't know if any day would have the same crowds. I think that many, like us, waited for the proper weather forecast. A forecast that in the end turned out to be the prophecy of a drunk or madman. But that's in retrospective.
Although I've never been to or on Ben Nevis, I do think, as you say, they're quite similar in attracting crowds, just for being the highest.
jacob

Postby Riverman » Sun Aug 13, 2017 2:47 pm

Fantastic. I never realised there was a walking route up this mountain. Definitely one to add to my tick list.
Riverman
Mountaineer

Munros:60   Corbetts:5
Fionas:1   
Hewitts:87
Wainwrights:4   Islands:4

Postby jacob » Sun Aug 13, 2017 5:15 pm

Riverman wrote:Fantastic. I never realised there was a walking route up this mountain. Definitely one to add to my tick list.

Thanks Riverman.
Jotunheimen is a stunning place. A lot of walking routes, not too many leading to summits though. Lucky circumstance is that there's two up the highest summit of all.
jacob

Postby Graeme D » Thu Aug 17, 2017 10:20 pm

Norway has long occupied a spot very high up on my bucket list. Nothing I have seen or read about here, not even the crowds, is about to change that! :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:
Graeme D

Munros:251   Corbetts:124
Fionas:75   Donalds:22
Sub 2000:62   Hewitts:36
Wainwrights:28   Islands:6

Postby jacob » Fri Aug 18, 2017 7:18 pm

Graeme D wrote:Norway has long occupied a spot very high up on my bucket list. Nothing I have seen or read about here, not even the crowds, is about to change that! :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Haha, well, I didn't write it to discourage WH'ers from going there :lol:
jacob

Postby Anne C » Sat Aug 19, 2017 6:55 pm

Loved the report and photos Jacob. :clap: Hoping to do the walk in two weeks time when we visit Norway for the first time - big bucket list destination.Now off to read through more of your reports!
Anne C
Walker

Munros:142   Corbetts:30
Fionas:34   Donalds:29
Sub 2000:48   Hewitts:1
Wainwrights:1   Islands:57

Postby jacob » Sun Aug 20, 2017 4:13 pm

Anne C wrote:Loved the report and photos Jacob. :clap: Hoping to do the walk in two weeks time when we visit Norway for the first time - big bucket list destination.Now off to read through more of your reports!

Thank you very much Anne. I wish you a very good holiday and I know you've got great experiences ahead of you. You can't imagine how much I envy you. Wish I had the courage to just not show up on work tomorrow and head off again myself.
Will you be so kind to write walk reports yourself? Can't wait...
jacob

Postby Alteknacker » Sun Aug 20, 2017 5:27 pm

Stunningly beautiful place - and I'm glad the cloud did clear up for you! The long caterpillars of people reminded me rather of Snowdon. I have to say, it does put me off a bit when a place is quite that crowded (one reason why I have no desire to do Mont Blanc).

I'm well impressed with your mrs, since, like mine, she really likes sun an beaches!!! I'd never get mine up an ascent like that!
Alteknacker
Scrambler

Munros:176   Corbetts:33
Fionas:1   
Hewitts:264
Wainwrights:118   

Postby jacob » Tue Aug 22, 2017 4:29 pm

Alteknacker wrote:Stunningly beautiful place - and I'm glad the cloud did clear up for you! The long caterpillars of people reminded me rather of Snowdon. I have to say, it does put me off a bit when a place is quite that crowded (one reason why I have no desire to do Mont Blanc).

I'm well impressed with your mrs, since, like mine, she really likes sun an beaches!!! I'd never get mine up an ascent like that!

The mrs is great, I'd be the last one to disagree. :wink:
Crowds are less great, agreed on that one as well. But as said in my conclusion: don't be put off by them, the setting is stunning, and will make you forget all other people enjoying the same thing as you are
jacob

5 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Outside Scotland