walkhighlands

This board helps you to share your walking route experiences in England and Wales... or overseas.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Pen-y-ghent and upper Littondale hills

Pen-y-ghent and upper Littondale hills

Postby Broggy1 » Fri Aug 18, 2017 1:20 pm

Hewitts included on this walk: Pen-y-ghent, Plover Hill

Date walked: 16/08/2017

Time taken: 5.3

Distance: 27.9 km

Ascent: 1041m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Working last weekend meant some time off during the week with Weds looking much the best day and the East being much the best area.

Decided to visit some hills around Littondale but do it from Horton in Robblesdale so I could go via the ever-impressive Pen-y-ghent.

Sunny on the whole and pleasant walking weather.

1 PYG ahead.JPG
Pen-y-ghent's engaging outline ahead

2 PYG.JPG
Approaching the nose of Pen-y-ghent

3 Trig PYG.JPG
Bit of passing cloud flutters over at the Trig Point

4 Towards PLover.JPG
Heading for Plover Hill

5 Muddy.JPG
Boggy over this stretch but keep away from the wall for slightly easier ground

6 Plover.JPG
Plover Hill Cairn - reached by the first of many wall climbs today

7 Over Blaydike Moss to High Green Field Knott.JPG
Looking over the rather significant Blaydike Moss to High Green Field Knott

8 Back to Plover from Blaydike.JPG
Back to Plover Hill from Blaydike Moss.

Not the easiest hill to reach. Some rough and wet ground and a few large (and crumbly) dry stone walls to negotiate.

9 Heading for HGFK.JPG
High Green Field Knott ahead - reached via a boggy depression and then a short, sharp climb by the wall.

10 HGFK summit.JPG
High Green Field Knott summit - no cairn. There is a Trig 3m lower on the other end of the fell that I wanted to visit but a herd of cows surrounded this and I thought I may as well leave them be.

11 Round to Horse Head Moor.JPG
Ridge round to Horse Head Moor

12 Back to HGFK.JPG
Looking back to High Green Field Knott. The ridge here is not too bad for walking - but again a few fences needed negotiating

13 Trig with PYG and Fountain in view.JPG
Trig Point on Horse Head Moor looking at Pen-y-ghent and Fountain Fell.

Again the Trig is not the high point of the fell but I didn't visit that today having previously done it with Birks Fell (which is really the same hill)

14 Birks Fell from HGFK.JPG
Birks Fell from Horse Head Moor

15 Littondale.JPG
Littondale from the excellent descent path to Foxup

16 Pennine Journey.JPG
Another good path (A Pennine Journey it is now called) leaves Foxup for Horton and heads along the flanks of Plover Hill

17 Ing now in view.JPG
Ingleborough in view

18 PYG back in view.JPG
Pen-y-ghent back in view

19 Hull Pot.JPG
Visitors enjoying Hull Pot.

Bustling around this area - a great contrast to the lonely hills around Littondale I had just visited
Broggy1
Mountain Walker

Munros:85   Corbetts:15
Grahams:3   Donalds:10
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:272
Wainwrights:214   Islands:1

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Walkhighlands community forum is advert free

We need help to keep the site online.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and the online community by setting up a monthly donation by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Outside Scotland