walkhighlands

This board helps you to share your walking route experiences in England and Wales... or overseas.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Bustvålen, Rogen Nature Reserve, Sweden/Norway

Bustvålen, Rogen Nature Reserve, Sweden/Norway

Postby Mal Grey » Mon Aug 21, 2017 12:32 pm

Date walked: 21/08/2017

Time taken: 3.5

Distance: 10 km

Ascent: 300m

7 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

As I left the faint trail, the ground ahead towards the ridge was trackless and covered in rough boulders, ankle breaking terrain. I had a sudden realisation of where I was, on my own in the wilds of Scandinavia, half way up a mountain, 4 days into a cross-country canoeing trip and therefore miles from help if anything should go wrong. Care was going to be required...

On the Saturday before, we'd set off from a rough gravel car park on the fringes of the Rogen Nature Reserve, our starting point for an epic canoeing trip from this remote corner of Sweden to the small mining town of Røros in Norway. On the way we expected to paddle many lakes, some moderate whitewater, and to have to portage our canoes for considerable distances through this incredible terrain. And so it was proving.

As this is a hillwalking forum, I'll keep the report mostly to that small bit of the trip, but first I'll give you a flavour of how I'd reached this spot in the wilderness.

The first day had been simple, after an 800m carry that is. We'd then merely had to paddle for a couple of hours to our overnight camp spot, at the start of the next portage.

The following day had been much more fun, involving small lakes and river sections, 3 of which were too rocky to paddle so had to be portaged. We'd then reached Rogen itself, a massive 18km lake at about 750m altitude, which felt bleak and exposed, but fortunately the wind stayed reasonably low.

Another camp, then a short portage brought as to an area we call the "Thousand Lakes" where we rested for a day, exploring the many lakes and islands where osprey lord it over all, before we were treated to possibly the most spectacular sunset I can remember.

Returning the next day to Lake Rogen, we paddled for 12km in stunning, calm conditions before camping for the night. It was from here that I'd start my walk, as an early start to hit the lake before the wind rose meant we'd finished by mid-afternoon and had many hours of daylight left.

At last, I hear you cry, some walking! Without a canoe on my head either. To the north of our campsite, a trail crossed the shoulder of a rounded, double-summitted mountain, Bustvålen. I hoped there would then be a route following the broad ridge to the higher summit at 1024m.

A boardwalk helped cross a boggy section near camp. Every now and then a red cross on a pole marked the winter route of a snowmobile trail, demonstrating just how deep the snow must be here to cover all the boulders and make it passable for skidoos. My target showed its head above the pine-studded plateau.

This part of Scandinavia, straddling the border between Sweden and Norway at about 62 degrees north, is rough country, covered in rocks, to which pine forests, moss and bilberries somehow cling. Its difficult country to walk through, there is little soil above the rocks, so you are constantly stepping on or between them. Its not bare country, there are many small flowers, mosses and lichens, but it is very different to the moors of Britain. Altitude and latitude bring long, harsh, winters, and the plants are generally smaller versions of their lowland cousins.

As I followed the narrow trail, marked by red paint on trees or rocks more than on the ground, I came across some animal dung, which further research suggests is from a loose moose.

I reached the crest of the broad ridge, gaining a vista of the land beyond. Here I was going to turn right and head steadily uphill. Looking around me, I tried to fix some landmarks in my head, as it would be quite easy to march straight over the faint path without noticing it on my return. It was here where I started to feel committed and alone in this wide land, none of my companions having wanted to hill walk after a day canoeing. I, though, was determined to get a view of the land from above.

Picking my way through the moss and boulders, Bustvålen's summit came into sight.

Here I got my first look down to Rogen lake, where our camp was.

The pine trees were well behind me now, the summit looking bare and rockier ahead. Rather than tackle the steep, craggy, slope above, I angled left up a slight gully where what looked like grass turned out to be moss and low bilberries. Sadly this year the crop of fruit is very late and we hardly saw any actual bilberries.

Soon enough I was on the summit ridge, which turned out to be pleasant and almost Lake District like. A small cairn tempered my feeling of solitude a little.

Looking around me, I could see huge swathes of this wild border country around me. To the north, snow still clung to the distant slopes.

Below these hills, the "Thousand Lakes" area was strung out across the plateau. This is basically the remnants of glacial moraine, in fact this type of landscape of thin, scraped-out lakes and rough piles of boulders is known as Rogen Moraine after this place.

To the east and south, immense Rogen lake spread out before me. We'd paddled from left to right across this massive puddle that morning.

Further west was our route ahead, leaving the big lake and heading down the Roa river system into Norway to an even bigger lake called Femunden, which was somehow hidden in the landscape despite being 60km long...

The next 20km of canoeing would take 4 days.

For now, though, it was time to pick my way carefully downwards, roughly following my outward route. As I descended, troll-like figures lurked in the corners of my eyes.

Fortunately I did find the path, though not quite where I left it :) Following this back to camp, I was feeling lucky that I'd had a chance to see the land through which we were passing from above.

So, those who are reading this for the hills, if you made it this far, are now excused :wink: The rest of this report will try to catch a flavour of the rest of our expedition, a tale of many carries, a little bit of canoeing, injury in the wilderness, canoeing on a lake the size of a sea, and running a river all the way to our destination.

The day after I'd climbed the hill, we set off down the Roa system. The first day was marked by some moderate whitewater river sections, and a few portages.

Our portaging was basically taking each of the 4 of us two trips. One with personal bags, one with a canoe or the communal bags. The terrain was pretty hard going with a canoe on your head.

And it was on one of these carries that we had a near-disaster. One of my companions, Dris, slipped and badly twisted his ankle. In serious pain, we wondered if we would have to get him evacuated somehow. Phone signal was available in places, we could walk up an hill and get enough to make a call, or we could deploy our "SPOT" satellite beacon thing if we had no other option.

After giving Dris time to recover a little, and strapping his ankle, we decided that as we only had one paddle to a hut, we would spend the night there and see how he was in the morning.

These state-run huts are a godsend, basically a wooden bothy.

In the morning, Dris could walk, but not carry. Paul and I resigned ourselves to an extra carry each, making it 3. Of course, this actually means you cover each leg of a portage 5 times, as you also have to get back to the start after each one. Mark, the last of our group, struggles for speed anyway due to having broken his back playing rugby in his twenties, but just plods on steadily.

The next day was tough. Several portages linked some small lakes, the relief of paddling all too brief. And one of them, now christened the Portage from Hell was horrendous, a 600m boulder field through which we precariously balanced with canoes on our heads, followed by a steep downward slope.

It took us most of the day to cover 3 1/2 km or river, lake and portage. Mostly portage. When the rain began, and another hut appeared, we called it a day.

The following day was a little better, for we had some larger lakes in the morning, then some river running. At that point, we met our biggest challenge, for we knew the next 5km were hard rapids, not something we could run in laden open canoes, and this would be a long portage indeed. Effectively, it took us a 2 days to get from the hut to Lake Femunden, via a woodland camp. The country we passed through was, though, wonderful and strangely I loved (almost!) every minute of it.

At the end of the second day of this portage, we came out onto the enormous expanse of Femunden in a soft, gentle rain and perfect calm conditions. Despite the fact we'd been going for 10 hours at that point, all but 1 of which were carrying, we made the decision to paddle to the head of the lake whilst conditions were good. This lake has a ferocious reputation, and we knew we had to grasp the calm conditions whilst we could. We grabbed a meal on a beach, and headed onwards into the sunset.

This was a committing, but exhilarating experience, and after 2 more hours we finally reached a safe camp at 10.30 pm.

We were now 3 days from the finish. This was a mix of lakes and rivers again, but the portages were short and few, and we could really enjoy ourselves. The feeling of paddling on wild whitewater rivers through this amazing terrain, at a reasonably amendable grade, was something I'll never forget.

One of the most amazing trips of my life, Scandinavia really is one of the world's most spectacular regions, and I can only recommend it.

If anybody hasn't already had enough pictures and text that has little to do with hillwalking, the full story is here:

http://www.songofthepaddle.co.uk/forum/showthread.php/54049-Rogen-to-R%C3%B8ros-%E2%80%93-a-Canoe-Journey-from-Sweden-to-Norway
Last edited by Mal Grey on Mon Aug 21, 2017 9:56 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Mal Grey
Wanderer

Munros:113   Corbetts:23
Fionas:12   
Sub 2000:9   Hewitts:116
Wainwrights:71   Islands:6
Location: Surrey, probably in a canoe! www.wildernessisastateofmind.co.uk

Re: Bustvålen, Rogen Nature Reserve

Postby litljortindan » Mon Aug 21, 2017 5:12 pm

Great report on a beautiful landscape.
litljortindan
Ambler

Munros:153   Corbetts:67
Fionas:29   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:47   Hewitts:12
Wainwrights:10   

Re: Bustvålen, Rogen Nature Reserve

Postby Mal Grey » Tue Aug 22, 2017 2:20 pm

litljortindan wrote:Great report on a beautiful landscape.

Thanks, its a truly amazing place to travel through, on foot or in canoe.
Mal Grey
Wanderer

Re: Bustvålen, Rogen Nature Reserve, Sweden/Norway

Postby jacob » Tue Aug 22, 2017 4:44 pm

Thanks Mal for posting this one. Great report, outstanding photos and it shows a very different way of experiencing a landscape (from the water).
Are you sure about the animal dung btw? Because if so, then us to we at least saw it's dung (having not seen any wildlife) :roll: :lol:
Love the photos showing the view on the many lakes. They got the mrs all enthousiastic about trying some alike adventure as well.
jacob

Munros:19   Corbetts:9
Fionas:4   
Hewitts:19

Postby Mal Grey » Tue Aug 22, 2017 9:10 pm

Thanks. I think the best thing about this trip was travelling through the whole landscape, a mix of big lakes, rivers, small paths and getting higher occasionally.

jacob wrote:Are you sure about the animal dung btw? Because if so, then us to we at least saw it's dung (having not seen any wildlife) :roll: :lol:
Love the photos showing the view on the many lakes. They got the mrs all enthousiastic about trying some alike adventure as well.

Fairly confident after a google search for moose poo!!!! :lol: Size of pellet was the main thing.

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=moose+poop+images&safe=off&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwiQl_mVuuvVAhXENJoKHdqGA-QQ_AUICigB&biw=1536&bih=735

Reindeer is quite a lot smaller, more like sheep poo, especially when it "clumps" together!

http://www.alamy.com/stock-photo/reindeer-droppings.html

Never expected to be comparing different poos on Walk Highlands!!!!!
Mal Grey
Wanderer

Postby onsen » Tue Aug 22, 2017 9:35 pm

Great scenery & a good looking adventure. :thumbup:
onsen
Munro compleatist

Postby Mal Grey » Wed Aug 23, 2017 7:43 pm

onsen wrote:Great scenery & a good looking adventure. :thumbup:

Thanks, it certainly was an adventure!
Mal Grey
Wanderer

Postby Riverman » Sat Aug 26, 2017 2:55 pm

Wow! That is real wilderness. I'd love to see your route plotted on a map. I bet you were so far from the nearest road. Some incredible views - looked liked you earned them too. Carrying a canoe through that landscape must be torture.
Riverman
Mountaineer

Munros:60   Corbetts:5
Fionas:1   
Hewitts:87
Wainwrights:4   Islands:4

Postby Mal Grey » Sun Aug 27, 2017 2:12 pm

Riverman wrote:Wow! That is real wilderness. I'd love to see your route plotted on a map. I bet you were so far from the nearest road. Some incredible views - looked liked you earned them too. Carrying a canoe through that landscape must be torture.

Thanks. Guess it depends on definition of "wilderness". Compared with even Fisherfield or similar, its more of a wilderness than Scotland, but compared to say, the Canadian shield, I guess its full of "infrastructure" like the cabins and shelters. Certainly felt wild enough, though we did see people every day. For 10 days, we saw no road though.

There's a map on "Paddle Points" to show the route if you're interested: http://www.paddlepoints.net?R=703&A=9371
Mal Grey
Wanderer

Postby Cairngorm creeper » Mon Aug 28, 2017 8:46 am

Wow! What a trip. That was mesmerisingly good and what a beautiful wild landscape. Thank you for sharing.
Cairngorm creeper
Mountain Walker

Munros:147   Corbetts:24
Fionas:6   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:15
Wainwrights:9   

Postby Mal Grey » Sun Sep 03, 2017 10:43 pm

Cairngorm creeper wrote:Wow! What a trip. That was mesmerisingly good and what a beautiful wild landscape. Thank you for sharing.

Thanks CC. With your location, have you ever canoed on the Spey? That's a lovely trip, again giving a different perspective of the countryside than you get from walking through it.
Mal Grey
Wanderer

Postby Alteknacker » Sun Sep 03, 2017 11:50 pm

Great read and pics. :thumbup: Keep publishing these watery trips on WH - it's clear that lots of us love them!
Alteknacker
Scrambler

Munros:176   Corbetts:33
Fionas:1   
Hewitts:264
Wainwrights:118   

Postby Phil the Hill » Mon Sep 04, 2017 1:49 pm

That looks a brilliant trip, but tough. I've done some canoeing in the Algonquin in Canada, and even the short portages there were a bit much for me. Can you hire canoes and do shorter / easier trips there?
Phil the Hill
Walker

Munros:274   Corbetts:30
Fionas:12   Donalds:13
Sub 2000:38   Hewitts:136
Wainwrights:63   Islands:25

Postby Mal Grey » Mon Sep 04, 2017 10:50 pm

Great read and pics. :thumbup: Keep publishing these watery trips on WH - it's clear that lots of us love them!

Thanks, good to know they're not just cluttering up the place :D

Phil the Hill wrote:That looks a brilliant trip, but tough. I've done some canoeing in the Algonquin in Canada, and even the short portages there were a bit much for me. Can you hire canoes and do shorter / easier trips there?

There's a British-based company, Nature Travels, who hire canoes in the area for specific suggested itineraries. They do one similar to ours, but also a shorter one; http://www.naturetravels.co.uk/water-canoe-tours-sweden-discover-wilderness-canoeing-rogen-ts48cs1.htm Basically, stays in the area of the first part of our trip, particularly the "Thousand Lakes" bit. If you follow the link in the report to the full story on Song of the Paddle, the first 4 days give you an idea of that bit.

If you fancy something a bit less wild, but still stunning, Glaskogen in Southern Sweden is lovely. That's what got us started on Scandinavia as a paddling destination. Portages use trolleys, mostly. I wrote a report on SOTP for that: http://www.songofthepaddle.co.uk/forum/showthread.php/49929-Glaskogen-%E2%80%93-Water-Wood-Stone-and-Fire and we did a harder version the following year: http://www.songofthepaddle.co.uk/forum/showthread.php/52311-The-Lel%C3%A5ngen-Loop-%E2%80%93-a-walk-in-the-Swedish-woods-with-canoes

The joy of the Rogen area, though, is its wild terrain, its variety; rivers, mountains, lakes, forest; and its remoteness. Glaskogen is truly peaceful, and we actually saw less people, but all you see is trees to some extent!
Mal Grey
Wanderer

Postby johnkaysleftleg » Sun Sep 17, 2017 3:19 pm

Looks an amazing landscape and a true adventure. Some cracking shots there as well :clap: :clap:
johnkaysleftleg
Hill Bagger

Munros:25   Corbetts:11
Fionas:11   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:7   Hewitts:172
Wainwrights:214   Islands:8

7 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Next

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Outside Scotland