walkhighlands

This board helps you to share your walking route experiences in England and Wales... or overseas.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Calf, Steel, Gibson and Helm - a morning's dash

Calf, Steel, Gibson and Helm - a morning's dash

Postby old danensian » Wed Oct 06, 2010 6:17 pm

Wainwrights included on this walk: Calf Crag, Gibson Knott, Helm Crag, Steel Fell

Date walked: 17/09/2010

Time taken: 4

Distance: 18 km

Ascent: 828m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

The most difficult thing about an early morning start in Grasmere was the smell. It seemed to be everywhere, wafting down every lane and hanging in the air as you turned each corner. It was that time of day. It was the by-product of every other property. It was the aroma of bacon being cooked for scores and scores of breakfasts: a far cry from my frugal muesli supplemented by a cereal bar as I drove over Dunmail.

However, once the hunger-inducing atmosphere had been left behind I could concentrate on the objective for the remaining morning I had left in the Lakes – Helm Crag by the back door. I just didn’t fancy going up by the standard route and also thought that Steel Fell would be worth a visit, possibly giving different views of the familiar tops above Grasmere. So, I’d go out to Calf Crag, pop over to Steel Fell, then cross back to Gibson Knott before ending up on Helm Crag.

Calf-01.jpg
Calf Crag above Easdale

The path to Far Easdale, out over the Goody Bridge was the kind of comfortable exercise you hope for. Height was gained gradually as distance was paced out almost effortlessly; within seventy five minutes the col below the final slopes of Calf Crag had been reached and ten minutes later the views could be enjoyed.

Calf-02.jpg
Calf Crag and Gibson Knott

An indeterminate and occasional path across to the obvious ridge of Steel Fell was then followed and the top reached after another half an hour, from where you look down on Helm Crag.

Calf-03.jpg
Helvellyn and Fairfield in the background - Steel Fell from Calf Crag

Calf-04.jpg
Helvellyn from Steel Fell

Any aspiration to quickly contour round to the next objective of Gibson Knott was thwarted by peat hags that form the head of the Greenburn valley. Once I’d leapt over, into and around various gloopy-looking pools and circumnavigated a variety of peat “cliffs” I realised that it would have been quicker just to have gone back to Calf Crag and taken the established path from there – I know, that’s why it’s there.

Anyway, once over these obstacles and the rocks of Gibson Knott I was heading for the slope up to Helm Crag. It was there that met my first walkers of the day and joined the stream of visitors that this spot must attract. From the line of others passed on my down, it was due to be a busy afternoon.

Calf-05.jpg
Langdale Pikes and Easdale Tarn from Helm Crag

Calf-06.jpg
Helm Crag

Nevertheless, it had been a good morning out, and on the way round I’d managed to mark off the 100th Wainwright on my list – I’m sure there are others, but a few decades without recording them means that I don’t have either the memory or the photographic record of some - I’ll have to await that déjà vu sensation.
old danensian

Munros:282   Corbetts:101
Donalds:9
Hewitts:107
Wainwrights:151   

Re: Calf, Steel, Gibson and Helm - a morning's dash

Postby mountain coward » Thu Oct 07, 2010 11:25 pm

Haven't done any of those for ages - I really like Gibson Knott and Steel Fell, especially the route down Cotra Breast... This is what it looked like when I last did the round (quite a few years ago now - actually tempted Richard up into all that icy stuff!)
Snowy Helvellyn fm icy Steel Fell.jpg
mountain coward

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Outside Scotland