walkhighlands

This board helps you to share your walking route experiences in England and Wales... or overseas.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Precursor to Snowdonia: Conwy Mountain

Precursor to Snowdonia: Conwy Mountain

Postby malky_c » Thu Sep 07, 2017 9:27 pm

Date walked: 26/08/2017

Time taken: 2.5

Distance: 7.5 km

Ascent: 320m

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Date: 26/08/2017.
Distance: 7.5km.
Ascent: 320m.
Time: 2 hours, 30 minutes.
Weather: Hot and sunny.

Last time I was in Wales was August Bank Holiday 2012, back when I was working in the Midlands briefly, and quite a regular visitor. Since then, I have rather neglected it, so when the opportunity came to kill 3 birds with 1 stone came around (see my parents, catch up with a couple of old schoolfriends, go on the Snowdonia meet), I couldn't refuse.

Having left Inverness on the 6:50am train in mediocre weather and managed to miss various connections along the way, I was rather pleased to be stepping off the train at Llandudno Junction slightly earlier than scheduled into warm sunshine 8) . I had originally been due to be picked up by my parents in Bangor late afternoon, but since they were out walking on Conwy Mountain, it seemed a better idea to get off the train early, set off up the same hill and meet them on the summit.

Conwy Mountain.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Boats and scousers in Conwy

First I fancied a stroll over the old Conwy bridge, which I somehow managed to miss. As is typical for an August bank holiday, Conwy was hoaching with noisy scousers.

Old Conwy crossing and railway bridge

On my way to the hill, I decided to walk around a short section of the old town walls - worth it for a look over the town, even if I ended up going round in circles a bit!

On the town walls

Town walls

Town walls

After taking a few more wrong turns, I found my way through back lanes onto the spine of Conwy Mountain, where the views opened up almost straight away. It really is an easy climb, although my heavy bag (full of about 9 days worth of holiday and bothying stuff) held me back a bit.

Finally out of the town

Sheep drop?!

Conwy Mountain isn't even a Marilyn, but it packs a lot of punch for a small hill close to civilisation, and the views out over the Great Orme and Anglesey were good.

Conwy estuary

Tal y Fan with eastern Carneddau behind

On Conwy Mountain

There was some good timing involved - shortly after passing the highest point (which isn't overly obvious), I spotted my parents coming the other way.

Great Orme

Coast road and railway

Summit of Conwy Mountain

Penmaen Bach

After they had been to the top, we all dropped back down to the head of the Sychnant Pass (which is like a big mountain pass in miniature), then down to the car at the foot of the hill.

South to Tal y Fan

Down the Sychnant Pass

Allt Fawr

We were parked conveniently close to the Fairy Glen Inn, which made a handy stop-off for tea. Oddly the following day, when I caught up with a friend, we ended up unintentionally doing a very similar walk and eating in the same pub again. No imagination!
malky_c

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:219   Donalds:80+37
Sub 2000:315   Hewitts:281
Wainwrights:140   Islands:39

Re: Precursor to Snowdonia: Conwy Mountain

Postby Mal Grey » Thu Sep 07, 2017 9:32 pm

A great time of year for it with the heather in bloom, and a nice reminder of a similar walk I did maybe 25 years ago. Its a great "mountain" with craggy bits and sea views, but all within a short walk of a fantastic historic town. Bit like Edinburgh and Arthur's Seat, but without the crowds on top!
Mal Grey
Wanderer

Munros:113   Corbetts:23
Fionas:12   
Sub 2000:9   Hewitts:116
Wainwrights:71   Islands:6
Location: Surrey, probably in a canoe! www.wildernessisastateofmind.co.uk

Postby Alteknacker » Thu Sep 07, 2017 11:12 pm

An astonishing absence of other walkers!!!
Alteknacker
Scrambler

Munros:176   Corbetts:33
Fionas:1   
Hewitts:264
Wainwrights:118   

Postby Phil the Hill » Fri Sep 08, 2017 1:04 pm

I was just leaving the area as you arrived, having just spent a week with the family in a cottage 1/4 way up the Great Orme. I walked that section of the Conwy town walls with my son and bagged the Great Orme a couple of times, but with family commitments I didn't manage any other hills :( I had hoped to do Tal y Fan and had been eyeing it over Conwy Mountain. Interesting therefore to see what Conwy Mountain is like. One for next time, I guess.
Phil the Hill
Walker

Munros:274   Corbetts:30
Fionas:12   Donalds:13
Sub 2000:38   Hewitts:136
Wainwrights:63   Islands:25

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Outside Scotland