walkhighlands

This board helps you to share your walking route experiences in England and Wales... or overseas.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Bryn y Glo circuit above Capel Curig

Bryn y Glo circuit above Capel Curig

Postby malky_c » Fri Sep 08, 2017 8:28 pm

Date walked: 28/08/2017

Time taken: 3.5

Distance: 8 km

Ascent: 350m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Date: 28/08/2017.
Distance: 8km.
Ascent: 350m.
Time: 3 hours, 30 minutes.
Weather: Windy with sunny spells. Drizzle at end.

This is just a short walk that I wasn't going to bother posting, but some of the photos turned out quite well in an atmospheric sort of way. I did a similar one in 2012 but it wasn't worth posting then.

Bryn y Glo.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

I headed out to Capel Curig with my mum and dad on Monday afternoon, keen to avoid Crimpiau as I was planning to go up it later in the week. We set off from the Bryn y Glo carpark past a couple of climbing club huts hidden in the trees, and on through fairly open woodland and grazing - pleasant stuff. We soon picked up a less spectacular forestry track which took us to Llyn Bychan.

Moel Siabod

Llyn Bychan

We left the track here, following a faint path up through the grass and heather - boggy in places but not too bad.

Llyn Geirionydd

While winding around the lumps and bumps near the summit, the wind got up quite a bit, so we took the chance to have a break in a hollow. Cloud was low on the Glyders, but somehow Tryfan managed to stay clear of it all in an atmospheric manner.

Tryfan from the top

Gallt yr Ogof and Tryfan

The summit is quite obviously the highest thing in the vicinity , but appears to be nameless on the map. A bit more winding about took us down to the edge of the forest, where we picked up a path which rejoined our outgoing route. While the wind was still strong, there was some mellow sunshine out to the east which made the afternoon.

Creigiau Gleision

Looking east towards the Migneint

Y Ro Wen and the Lledr Valley

Dad near the summit

Nice colours to the east

Descending

Dyffryn Mymbyr

A worthwhile alternative to the more popular Crimpiau nearby.

Map
malky_c

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:219   Donalds:80+37
Sub 2000:315   Hewitts:281
Wainwrights:140   Islands:39

Re: Bryn y Glo circuit above Capel Curig

Postby Alteknacker » Fri Sep 08, 2017 10:06 pm

As you say: some really good pics there. Fabulous lighting - not too dissimilar to that on the Friday.
Alteknacker
Scrambler

Munros:176   Corbetts:33
Fionas:1   
Hewitts:264
Wainwrights:118   

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Outside Scotland