walkhighlands

This board helps you to share your walking route experiences in England and Wales... or overseas.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Crinkles via Hell Gill to Lingmoor

Crinkles via Hell Gill to Lingmoor

Postby Broggy1 » Mon Sep 18, 2017 11:51 am

Wainwrights included on this walk: Cold Pike, Crinkle Crags, Lingmoor Fell, Pike o'Blisco

Hewitts included on this walk: Cold Pike, Crinkle Crags (Long Top), Crinkle Crags South Top, Pike of Blisco, Shelter Crags

Date walked: 17/09/2017

Time taken: 5.3

Distance: 22.3 km

Ascent: 1754m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Sunday looked a good forecast so had an early start to brave the South Lakes (usually reluctant on a Sunday due to general busyness) for the Crinkles and a few others.

Pleasant walking conditions and good day.

1 Crinkles.JPG
Crinkle Crags ahead. I decided for the first time to take the Hell Gill route instead of the usual Red Tarn or The Band route and this was an enjoyable variation for certain. Especially in it's lower reaches.

2 Waterfall.JPG
Whorneyside Force is a particular highlight

3 Hell Gill.JPG
Looking up Hell Gill

4 Back down Oxendale.JPG
The path heads up beside Hell Gill as I look down Oxendale

5 Bowfell ahead.JPG
The Crinkles have been up close for most the route but once you get above Hell Gill it is Bowfell that dominates as I head for Three Tarns

6 POB.JPG
Looking back to Pike O'Blisco

7 Cloud arriving.JPG
It had been cloudier in the eest and it appeared to be catching me up once I hit the Crinkle ridge

8 Long Top.JPG
Cloudy Long Top - most the ridge walk had been in mist but more the white cloud type where you know you could drop out of it at any time

9 First Crinkle out to sea.JPG
Crinkle Crags South Top looking out to the sea

10 Three Nuttall summits of Cold Pike.JPG
The three Nuttall summits of Cold Pike are obvious from this angle. Last year I'd come on a Nuttall clear up session but had got confused between the three "crinkles" of the main summit and the three actual tops and had somehow missed the Far West Top - today I would rectify this

11 Elusive Top looking to LongStand.JPG
The elusive Cold Pike Far West Top - looking over to Long Stand another Nuttall done last time

12 Cold Pike looking to Langdales.JPG
Cold Pike Main Summit

13 POB ahead.JPG
Back on the main path with Pike O'Blisco ahead

14 POB back.JPG
Pike O'Blisco Summit - one of my favourites

15 Heading off POB Side PIke ahead.JPG
Descending Pike O'Blisco with Side Pike ahead. It's pretty much a full re-climb for that and Lingmoor Fell

16 POB and Crinkles from Side PIke.JPG
Pike O'Blisco and Crinkle Crags from Side PIke

17 Lingmoor Fell ahead.JPG
Lingmoor Fell ahead

18 Fat Man's agaony.JPG
Fat man's agony

19 Pikes from LIngmoor.JPG
Langdale Pikes from Lingmoor Fell summit

20 Black Fell.JPG
Black Fell ahead as I head for Dale End

21 Wetherlam.JPG
Striking Wetherlam

22 Cumbrian Way with Langdales in view.JPG
Good paths back along the flanks of Lingmoor Fell led back to my start point at Rossett Bridge - nice views of the Langdales as well.
Broggy1
Mountain Walker

Munros:111   Corbetts:19
Fionas:5   Donalds:20+7
Sub 2000:8   Hewitts:274
Wainwrights:214   Islands:1

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Outside Scotland